Missing 411

OhioSquatch

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

And then, under the conditions, there could be a serious dehydration factor at work (only a mile from their truck?

Unlikely.  It was reported that there was some amount of water remaining in the water bladder they were carrying.  

I think the answer will be in the toxicology report.  'til we have that, speculation is pointless .. not that that ever slowed us down!! :)

MIB

Admin

There is the case of clear sky lightning.

• Clear-air lightning describes lightning that occurs with no apparent cloud close enough to have produced it. In the U.S. and Canadian Rockies, a thunderstorm can be in an adjacent valley and not observable from the valley where the lightning bolt strikes, either visually or audibly. European and Asian mountainous areas experience similar events. Also in areas such as sounds, large lakes or open plains, when the storm cell is on the near horizon (within 26 km or 16 mi) there may be some distant activity, a strike can occur and as the storm is so far away, the strike is referred to as a bolt from the blue.[72] These flashes usually begin as normal IC lightning flashes before the negative leader exits the cloud and strikes the ground a considerable distance away.[60][61] Positive clear-air strikes can occur in highly sheared environments where the upper positive charge region becomes horizontally displaced from the precipitation area.[73]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

Not saying that is the case, but it can happen. Not sure what the area looks like in person, but I suspect there are trees around, and any lightning that occurs would hit them instead of the people probably. Although I guess it could jump from a tree to the family.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:43 PM, MIB said:

My recollection (from reading older white papers, etc regarding infrasound weapon research online) is "yes" but only through internal trauma which should have appeared in the autopsies ... should be ruptured organs, etc.

MIB

I would like to add to this by saying Whales, especially Sperm Whales can scrabble your insides with powerful blasts of infrasound, which is why Divers don't get very close to them. Tigers also utilize infrasound at close ranges, their loud roars can literally stun prey momentarily. 

Edited by Marty

The Gerrish family tragedy toxicity reports are still unpublished.

There have dog deaths in Washington State this year from toxic algae blooms. During the summer, 4 dogs died in the Spokane area after going into a river.  Whatever toxin they encountered was rated as being able to kill a dog in as little as 30 minutes. Recently, 3 dogs died after going into the Columbia River.

I have not seen any reports about fish or birds.

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

Nothing that I have heard. And nothing on the toxicology reports. Strange that nothing on the dog has been released either.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

Nothing that I have heard. And nothing on the toxicology reports. Strange that nothing on the dog has been released either.

Typical pattern with these sorts of stories.

A lot of attention, then nothing.  The public’s attention moves onto something else. 

The lightning strike story was making the rounds, then it kind of died off.

Admin

Yep, people have a short attention span these days. I thought toxicology tests could be done pretty quickly, seems a bit odd that it is taking this long. Or maybe they know already what the test results are, but are not talking.

Nothing new on Rebekah either. However, I did find this site:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/mt-rebekah-barsotti-33-dog-fnd-deceased-town-pump-superior-mineral-co-20-jul-2021.585543/

A few new facts, a lot of speculation, but interesting all the same. Innocent until proven guilty, but a lot of suspicion towards the spouse. I would tend to agree. In my opinion, looks like the local Sheriff botched it from the beginning. The question now in my mind is incompetence or deliberate? I think the family needs to get the State Police involved and probably more as well.

Admin

But if it was toxic algae, they all would have had to ingest it, correct? I can see the dog and maybe the two adults, but the baby as well?

RE the Gerrish family, I wonder if it had to do with a gas bubble of some sort to kill all 4 (incl. dog) without signs of trauma. CO or CO2 could both do it.

Here is a quote snipped from the Smithsonian article "Defusing Africa's Killer Lakes: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/defusing-africas-killer-lakes-88765263/

That curious finding prompted Sigurdsson's recognition that, indeed, the deaths around LakeMonoun appeared to be consistent with carbon dioxide asphyxiation. Carbon dioxide is a colorless, odorless gas heavier than air. It is the normal by-product of human respiration and the burning of fossil fuels—probably the main culprit in global warming. But at high concentrations, CO2 displaces oxygen. Air that is 5 percent carbon dioxide snuffs candles and car engines. A10 percent carbon dioxide level causes people to hyperventilate, grow dizzy and eventually lapse into a coma. At 30 percent, people gasp and drop dead.

Carbon dioxide is also a natural by-product of geologic processes, the melting and cooling of rock. Most of the time it's harmless, surfacing and dispersing quickly from vents in the earth or from carbonated springs—think San Pellegrino water. Still, CO2 poisonings have occurred in nature. Since Roman times, vented carbon dioxide in volcanic central Italy occasionally has killed animals or people who have wandered into topographic depressions where the heavy gas pools. At YellowstoneNational Park, grizzly bears have met the same fate in a ravine known as Death Gulch.

Wow, lotsa stuff in there I didn’t know! I certainly hope the media continues to report on the  Gerrish family until we have an answer.

Admin

According to the article, the Sheriff has ruled out carbon monoxide/dioxide as the cause of death.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, VAfooter said:

But if it was toxic algae, they all would have had to ingest it, correct? I can see the dog and maybe the two adults, but the baby as well?

My best guess remains something in the water in the water bladder(s) they got at the stream.

MIB