Missing 411

OhioSquatch

Admin

Small update on the Gerrish family:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/gerrish-family

They added some pics and the sheriff has ruled out weapons and chemicals as the cause of death. All other options are still open.

Admin

I know that we have discussed it here before, but it would be interesting to know the origins of place names like this one. Many times, the story is lost to history and all we know is that it was called "whatever" since people started living there.

A new update on the California family:

The Devils Gulch area has now been closed off.

'Unknown hazards' found on Sierra National Forest trail near where Calif. family was found dead (sfgate.com)

"Sierra National Forest officials Saturday issued a closure of the Merced River Recreation Site "due to unknown hazards found in and near the Savage Lundy Trail."

I'm wondering how you find an unknown hazard.

Edited by OldMort
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, OldMort said:

Great question! And...a little funny, circumstances aside. 

I find it a bit disconcerting that forensic blood work would take weeks to complete especially in a case so obviously in need of answers.  Is it the sample-testing culture that needs weeks to mature or is it the backlog of work in the lab? The latter could (should) be rectified with a phone call.

7 hours ago, OldMort said:

We are waiting for toxicology test reports but what about the air?   You 'sniff' / sample the air with portable hand-held gas chromatography equipment. They are common every day pieces of gear in industrial locations. They are used in sealed and enclosed areas.  There are gases that you can't see or smell that will kill you.  These meters can indicate toxic gases and oxygen levels and results are shown in seconds.  Ventilated areas and outdoors are areas where they do not work.  

I posted to check the truck cab as in 'sniff' the cab.  Sniffing the trail would be difficult. Finding a hole in the ground, fissure would be the 'needle in a haystack'.

4 different metabolisms perished in close proximity and time frame. No dead animals were found in the area. No mention of dead vegetation.

Diabolical.

How did this area get the name 'Devils Gulch'?  We are missing some history. Maybe Orcs.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

An article in Seattle media reports that the location is a 'hazmat response area'  due to not knowing what hazard(s) may or may not be present. They have not found a 'hazardous' material.  One water test showed toxic algae bloom but they have had the bloom for some time this summer. Other water tests are in process.

Admin

Typically they want to keep people out of the area until they know (or at least have an idea) of what caused the deaths. Just safety precautions to prevent another episode.

Just asking for a friend, but can hyper-powerful infrasonic blasts cause immediate death?

14 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

Typically they want to keep people out of the area until they know (or at least have an idea) of what caused the deaths. Just safety precautions to prevent another episode.

Just asking for a friend, but can hyper-powerful infrasonic blasts cause immediate death?

Maybe with prolonged exposure.  Instantaneous death?  I don’t believe so… but, they still haven’t figured out Havana Syndrome…so maybe there is a possibility.  Air is a poor conductor of sound.  

On 9/1/2021 at 7:41 AM, VAfooter said:

I know that we have discussed it here before, but it would be interesting to know the origins of place names like this one......

Yeah, they say that Ape Canyon was named after a group of hikers. Sounds perfectly reasonable, huh?

On 9/2/2021 at 1:12 PM, VAfooter said:

My recollection (from reading older white papers, etc regarding infrasound weapon research online) is "yes" but only through internal trauma which should have appeared in the autopsies ... should be ruptured organs, etc.

MIB

• Thanks 1

Admin

Good to know, MIB.

Obviously, the cause will be something unusual, but within the realm of "known". Hopefully, it will be something that can be prevented in the future.