Missing 411

OhioSquatch

6 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Maybe the manner in which Cerberus died will provide some clues to help locate Rebekah.

Hardcore dog name - didn't even notice that.

And sure - if the dog was killed by blunt force trauma rather than drowning - would be interesting.

Either way it's not promising for the girl.

Admin

My understanding is that it has turn to a recovery operation for everyone but the immediate family. They are still holding out hope.

Looking at the area on GE, it does not appear to be a "rough" area where one could fall into the river easily, or at least around the beaches. The reports said they recovered personal items on the beach so perhaps they were laying out there getting some sun. Perhaps one or the other waded out too far and started heading downstream. The other jumped in and was swept away too. I would like to know the state of the river that day. From the pictures, it does not appear to be flowing that fast, at least there are no discernable rapids or visible in the beach areas of the rest stop. It is hard to tell how deep it is, but some of the areas do look like they would be over the head of most folks (or at least you cannot see the bottom from the images). I am unsure of what her swimming capabilities were, but it appears that one could swim to the bank fairly easy as the river is not that wide. And I would think a dog would be able to to as well. You might be a bit downstream, but reaching the bank should not be that difficult if you can swim. She was always fairly athletic, so I would be very surprised if she could not swim somewhat. If anyone has specific information about that area, I would love to hear it.

Rebekah dearly loved the dog and would not go anywhere without him. I suspect the feeling was mutual. If there was some sort of foul play involved, which at this time there is no evidence of, the dog would have protected her with his life. So I cannot see someone attacking her and getting away without serious, serious damage. And I cannot see a person overcoming that breed of dog single-handedly. Knowing Rebekah, Cerberus was very well trained.

Sadly, we will probably never know what actually happened. I just hope they find her quickly so the family can have closure.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, VAfooter said:

This one is personal. We know the family and the girl in question. Mom still has hope, but that is what parents do. 

https://www.kpax.com/news/western-montana-news/mother-looking-for-help-in-finding-woman-last-seen-in-mineral-county

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-regional-news/search-for-missing-woman-in-mineral-county-continues-dog-found-deceased

They also have a GoFundMe page to help with the expenses of traveling to MT and searching. 

By the way, not saying anything weird happened with this, just that it happened and at this point, the victim is still missing.

I am sorry for the absolute misery your friends are going through.

That’s the uniquely heartbreaking quality of these sorts of cases…at the core of each case, there’s a family that might never see their loved one again.  Much different than the other topics that are usually discussed like Bigfoot sightings or UFOs.  

• Thanks 1

Admin

Yep, always family and friends left to grieve and wonder what happened. And to live with an emptiness for the rest of their lives.

...and to be plagued every morning when they awaken about what they could have done differently. I know such a family. You have a video of horror in your mind which gets replayed with no hopes of ever removing yourself from it.  "Had I only"....again and again and again.

My heart aches when I think of the anguish the entire family goes through.

If they found the dog  miles down river then it sounds like they both drowned . I know you said it looks like they should have been able to make it to shore or the beach easily but rivers can be so deceiving looking at them on the surface. We have people drown every year here thinking the river looks calm so they wade out for a swim.

I think they will eventually find her but it might not be the search party looking now.  Sad case all the way around.

That's a sad case. We drive that route several times a year going to and from Seattle but never stopped as it's not really a rest area with facilities, more of a recreational access site. We were just by there on July 8 on the way home, Linda was driving and I commented to her that the river was pretty low, it's actually about like you see it in the Google Earth imagery from 2014. You can see from the debris on the sand just how high it can run. I've seen it where the big rock was the only one visible and the river very turbulent. It's not a place you would normally go for a hike, with the interstate running along the course of the river and not much in the way of trails. People do float the river in everything from inner tubes to larger rafts; it's pretty gentle from that point on with only a 100' drop in the next ten miles. Floaters will set up with a vehicle at both ends of the trip however. There are no end of much nicer places to hike all over the region, many with trail heads in the fringes of Missoula. All that said, you are in the heart of wild country there. While there are small towns and some private homes along the river corridor, a mile to either side and you're in country little changed for hundreds of years.

I hope and pray there is at least some closure in the case.

Admin

Cannot link to it as it is behind a paywall, but sounds like they are scaling the "official" search and recovery efforts back. I am sure that the family will stay and continue until their funds run out. The GoFundMe page raised almost a $1000, so that will help some, but they might have already gone through that. It has been two weeks.

Can't imagine making the decision to go home without finding her (dead or alive) as the family.

Too many thoughts of "maybe if I searched a little harder".

Admin

Hats off and sincere appreciation for all those who participate on the SAR teams, no matter what kind of terrain:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-mountain-rescue-rockslide-missing-hiker

• Thanks 1

Amen.

There are a lot of hours spent training for even the most simple search and rescue.  I'd include volunteer fire personnel as well who sometimes participate in a search but also do extraordinary and heroic work in their own field.

All of these folks do this with donated time and effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

Not missing, but extremely odd. No obvious signs of anything that might have caused it:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-familys-mysterious-hiking-deaths-investigated-toxic-algae-blooms

After reading VAFooter's post above I decided to start a new thread in "In The Field" regarding cyanobacteria and toxic water, a topic mentioned in the missing report. Rather than derail this Missing 411 thread, I self-moved it. Moderators can edit accordingly.

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/77803-cyanobacteria-and-water-toxicity/?tab=comments#comment-1101661

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1