Missing 411

OhioSquatch

On 8/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, VAfooter said:

My understanding is that it has turn to a recovery operation for everyone but the immediate family. They are still holding out hope.

Looking at the area on GE, it does not appear to be a "rough" area where one could fall into the river easily, or at least around the beaches. The reports said they recovered personal items on the beach so perhaps they were laying out there getting some sun. Perhaps one or the other waded out too far and started heading downstream. The other jumped in and was swept away too. I would like to know the state of the river that day. From the pictures, it does not appear to be flowing that fast, at least there are no discernable rapids or visible in the beach areas of the rest stop. It is hard to tell how deep it is, but some of the areas do look like they would be over the head of most folks (or at least you cannot see the bottom from the images). I am unsure of what her swimming capabilities were, but it appears that one could swim to the bank fairly easy as the river is not that wide. And I would think a dog would be able to to as well. You might be a bit downstream, but reaching the bank should not be that difficult if you can swim. She was always fairly athletic, so I would be very surprised if she could not swim somewhat. If anyone has specific information about that area, I would love to hear it.

Rebekah dearly loved the dog and would not go anywhere without him. I suspect the feeling was mutual. If there was some sort of foul play involved, which at this time there is no evidence of, the dog would have protected her with his life. So I cannot see someone attacking her and getting away without serious, serious damage. And I cannot see a person overcoming that breed of dog single-handedly. Knowing Rebekah, Cerberus was very well trained.

Sadly, we will probably never know what actually happened. I just hope they find her quickly so the family can have closure.

So sorry about the loss of your family friend.  The only non-foul-play scenario I can think of is that somehow Rebekah started to drown, the dog swam to help, and Rebekah took the dog down with her.  The first thing they teach you in life guard training school is how to prevent the rescued person from taking you down with them.  They never mean it but when they panic and start to flailing around they will take down the absolute strongest of swimmers unless you can take them under control with the proper hold.  I have a couple dogs that look like this dog and there is no way they would drown unless dragged through a class 4/5 rapid and taken under a strainer.  They are that strong.  

Admin

Thanks!

I was thinking that it might be the other way around with the dog getting into trouble and Rebekah going after it and both getting swept away. But I suspect and fear it is somewhat more likely that foul play was involved somehow.

I hope that someday we are able to find out the truth about what happened for the family's sake.

• Sad 1

Admin

Thanks Madison!!

Given the river conditions at the time, down somewhat due to the heat and dry summer, they should have been able to find her body fairly quickly. I know that if she is caught under something, then that is a problem. But they had divers looking so they should have been able to find something. I really do not think her body is there. 

12 hours ago, VAfooter said:

Thanks!

I was thinking that it might be the other way around with the dog getting into trouble and Rebekah going after it and both getting swept away. But I suspect and fear it is somewhat more likely that foul play was involved somehow.

I hope that someday we are able to find out the truth about what happened for the family's sake.

Maybe, but from wikopedia

"The Clark Fork is a Class I river for recreational purposes in Montana from Warm Springs Creek to the Idaho border.[13]"

By late July with the snow melt basically gone a 6 year old could probably walk across it without an issue.  I know a little something about this as I took my family including my 8 and 11 year old daughters at the time  down the Gallatin (MT river out of Yellowstone) when it was raging class 4+ with the greatest snow melt in a decades.  There is no chance a healthy dog or really an adult unless they are infirmed would have a problem wiht this river. It has been almost a month, any report on the cause of death with the dog?  Guessing shot and dumped in the river.

Admin

No, and that is one of the mysteries if this case. No public release (that I have seen) of the canine autopsy results. I would think that they would report it just as a matter of fact. Unless there is information there that they do not want to release to the public to tip off the suspect(s). If it is foul play, I hope they crack the case quickly.

1 hour ago, VAfooter said:

No, and that is one of the mysteries if this case. No public release (that I have seen) of the canine autopsy results. I would think that they would report it just as a matter of fact. Unless there is information there that they do not want to release to the public to tip off the suspect(s). If it is foul play, I hope they crack the case quickly.

Not an expert but it appears authorities withhold those details (the caliber or size of the knife wound as an example) to weed out the idiots that claim to know information on the case so they can focus on those that actually might know something.   With that said I am sure you know:

"My cousin has been MISSING for over one month from MINERAL, MT. She put a restraining order on her husband for assault. He had threatened to drown her dog and her. The dog was found dead in the river 10m downstream from where her car was found. TWO local Sheriff depts. REFUSE to look for her on land!! David Barsotti is friends w local deputies!! TRAVESTY of JUSTICE! Please HELP US!! In Pursuit with John Walsh"

If it was me I would be looking far beyond the river at this point.  Not too many missing persons in the Alberton MT but there are a few but not enough I think there is a pattern. 

BTW, I am up poking on this because I am bored and tracking my daughter make her way back home tonight.  Not because I am concerned but because the boss is nervous:{

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-montana-hiker-believed-dead-search-scaled-back-authorities

I heard on a local radio news broadcast this afternoon that hikers found the body of Tatum Morell, 23, who last made contact with family on July 1 near Red Lodge, Montana and was planning to scale five mountain peaks. Her body was evidently at the bottom of a slope in debris from a rock slide. The Beartooth Mountains are the highest in the state with several peaks over 11 and 12 K feet and very rugged. I was going to post a photo of the area but don't see the insert link.

Admin

Yeah, saw that she had been found. They think she got caught up in a rockslide was buried underneath. Very sad situation. At least they found her and have an idea of what happened, which is a lot more than a lot of families get in these situations.

Admin

Here is an update on the family that died recently in CA. 

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/gerrish-family

Heartbreaking.

The hiking family deaths are a tragic mystery. Toxicology test results are weeks away. What about the vehicle?  All of them ( assuming the dog was not in the bed )were in the cab of the pick up truck.

The family was found on the trail about 1.5 miles from their car. I can't imagine they could be poisoned enough to claim their lives but well enough to walk that distance from their vehicle, only to die there.  The husband was found in a seated position with his dog next to him.

The whole thing is bizarre.