Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

Episode 7 really surprised me. It took a paranormal turn I wasn't expecting but I thought it was great. I have really enjoyed the first season and I'm hoping they do more. It's great to see Bigfoot back on TV 😀

5 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I am ancient Irish.....German on my mothers side.

The comedian, Bob Newhart, once said he was half Irish and half German and all it did was make him a very meticulous drunk, LOL. I have always enjoyed his brand of comedy.

**And now, back to your regularly scheduled program**

• Haha 1

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

I measured the air strip (44.492203, -119.853611) which is about 4.4 miles from Rock Creek Lake. It is about 5,000' long. From what I can determine, that's enough for a small jet to take off.  

SWWASAS....do you think a G-3 can take off with a 5,000' runway?

https://binged.it/2RCNc3y

%00

According to Gulf Stream a G3 requires 5100 feet at sea level for takeoff.    Landing is about half of that.    That airport elevation is 2600.       5000 feet PA requires 7126 feet of runway.      So it would require around 6000 feet of runway to take off at 2600  field elevation.       A takeoff by a G3 at that airport could be done but would not be legal.    If they lost an engine or aborted they would run off the end of the runway on a 5000 runway.       Multi engine jets have an engine failure abort or takeoff speed.      Below a certain speed you abort for engine failure,  above the speed you continue the takeoff.   Normally the stopping distance determines the minimum runway required.    Density altitude is always a factor.   Hot day requires longer runways.   That applys to small single engine airplanes too.  

Most airliners, even medium size airplanes require 8000 of runway.    

Wow illegal for that G3 jet to have taken back off then.  

1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

I am entertained because of comments like, "I have never been anywhere that is this creepy".   Repeated over and over again and then find out it is a drive-in expedition. 

southwest, did you mean to insert a response of some kind in this post?  

Never mind, it seems to have appeared?!

BFF Patron
On 1/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, coffee2go said:

It could be a very promising site but what they are doing by acting surprised to find things they obviously knew were there (or could be found there) and possibly exaggerating distances makes the show less credible. In doing this they are not helping the community of researchers who are doing serious work in the field.  I like that they are using the latest technology and less hollering and banging on trees.

Having attended several years of the Ocean Shores/Quinault Beach, Washington Bigfoot Conference and seen how it was hijacked for hijinks researchers and spoofers in part, they are following a well worn war path of any exposure is good exposure, PR and paid advertising. Sad but true, this topic is fodder for the circuitous path that is repetitive and remunerative because many of us could care less about quality control.  Will it bring us closer to our quarry, yes for some who never budge from their chair to lift a hand in getting their own story or read on things in the woodlands.  In many ways, the habituators too fall in with this style of interaction.  It is up to each individual to sample all elements of the field and draw their own conclusions.  

Edited by bipedalist

On 1/19/2020 at 11:59 PM, ShadowBorn said:

You people do know that they are throwing their careers and their reputations on this series low amount of money then what they could be making . What does that say to us. That science is not all what it use to be. It is also saying that yes, science has it's specimen. Since this Doctor no longer cares about her reputation as well as some other Dr. on the shows.  What ever they were paid must be much more important then the science they do. I am sorry but I am very destress with the progress of this show . I can say that I am very impress with the unique tools that they have used in the field. Also I am impressed that they have not strayed away from the folklore of NA of how these creatures truly are in the wilderness.     

Some people just want to be on TV and are willing to almost anything to accomplish that goal.  

On 1/20/2020 at 3:04 PM, coffee2go said:

It could be a very promising site but what they are doing by acting surprised to find things they obviously knew were there (or could be found there) and possibly exaggerating distances makes the show less credible. In doing this they are not helping the community of researchers who are doing serious work in the field.  I like that they are using the latest technology and less hollering and banging on trees.

Agreed.

They had to have scouted the area before filming.  Either they already knew and are acting surprised when they 'discover' certain features of the areA, or they were purposely kept in the dark by the production team.

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron
2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Some people just want to be on TV and are willing to almost anything to accomplish that goal.  

Agreed.

They had to have scouted the area before filming.  Either they already knew and are acting surprised when they 'discover' certain features of the areA, or they were purposely kept in the dark by the production team.

Since it is private land of course the production crew was involved in renting the property or getting permission to be there.    The screen characters likely never saw the place until they arrived.   What really surprises me is that Dr Mayor is not showing more skepticism when the other two declare something is bigfoot.  I have yet to see anything on the show that did not have alternative explanations.   Their footprint finds are not clear either.    The FLIR image does look like the back end of a cow.  

Bipedalist   "Wow illegal for that G3 jet to have taken back off then. "  

We see that sort of thing all the time in corporate flying.     The boss wants the pilot to fly him close to where he wants to be.    The pilot knows he can land and if he ignores the refusal speed criteria for the runway he can takeoff too.      After all how often do you loose an engine on takeoff?     Not very often unless you fly B-52's.     So he begins takeoff and either loses an engine or has something else force an abort and typically the airplane runs off the end of the runway.    I think that very scenario happened about a week ago with a small jet.  

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

What really surprises me is that Dr Mayor is not showing more skepticism when the other two declare something is bigfoot.

A bit, yes.  Then again, we don't know what was left on the cutting room floor.   

My hope is that the 8th episode is a bit short and that there's a summary / wrap up at the end which fills in some gaps.  

MIB

17 hours ago, Bigfoot Gumbo said:

Episode 7 really surprised me. It took a paranormal turn I wasn't expecting but I thought it was great. I have really enjoyed the first season and I'm hoping they do more. It's great to see Bigfoot back on TV 😀

I will continue to watch if for nothing more than the entertainment factor. Maybe they will introduce some more new technology to help serious researchers obtain evidence. I am not convinced that they were not aware of the location of the show.

Like you said, Bigfoot Gumbo, it's good to have a program about Bigfoot on TV again.

BFF Patron
9 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Since it is private land of course the production crew was involved in renting the property or getting permission to be there.    The screen characters likely never saw the place until they arrived.   What really surprises me is that Dr Mayor is not showing more skepticism when the other two declare something is bigfoot.  I have yet to see anything on the show that did not have alternative explanations.   Their footprint finds are not clear either.    The FLIR image does look like the back end of a cow.  

Bipedalist   "Wow illegal for that G3 jet to have taken back off then. "  

We see that sort of thing all the time in corporate flying.     The boss wants the pilot to fly him close to where he wants to be.    The pilot knows he can land and if he ignores the refusal speed criteria for the runway he can takeoff too.      After all how often do you loose an engine on takeoff?     Not very often unless you fly B-52's.     So he begins takeoff and either loses an engine or has something else force an abort and typically the airplane runs off the end of the runway.    I think that very scenario happened about a week ago with a small jet.  

Interesting on the FLIR as back end of a cow analogy.  Then the thing they noted as legs stepping over could have been a tail switch or leg twitch I suppose. 

I was squatching with Thom Powell using thermal near a river bank/sandbar one night and both of us swore we were looking at a biped near the river when it was a  deer with head down and legs oriented so as to appear as two.  It lifted it's head and we did an aha!  within minutes.   

• Upvote 1

I have a Pulsar thermal and am miffed by the recording taken on the show. For a TV series, it should be safe to assume they have the best equipment money can buy. They've spared no expense as far as I can see.

I've replayed the thermal scene a number of times and there is something I am unsure about. Clearly, the bigfoot (or whatever it was) was recorded in red hot mode.  Why does the deer appear to be shot in white hot mode? There isn't a speck of red on the deer. There's something else that's bothering me about the video and I'll mention it once I review a few more things.

I've posted a thermal video shot in red hot of a chipmunk at 40 yards.  If it is distinguishable, a cow should be as well. If we could clearly see the deer in the thermal,  a larger creature (cow or sasquatch) should be easier to identify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLtaIbiS9qM

Here are a few videos using a Pulsar thermal some with cattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpST9VheRGE - has cattle and pigs. At 5:30 you can see the legs of a cattle. At 6:05, the recording is from a distance and one can still see cow legs moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijW-eiQ0VMo - here are rabbits in a field in red hot. You can clearly see the legs and ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFC3FiDYpIk  - deer in a field, some at a distance, and still identifiable

One lesson to be learned when using a thermal is to never use red hot. It distorts. Use black hot or white hot.  Red looks "cool" but if you're serious about identifying your target, use black or white.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Right on the thermal. I saw a woodrat at 30 yards with an older model and the definition of head legs tail was amazing. You are still up against 2D vs 3D issues which background and foreground temps can make worse

BFF Patron
On 1/21/2020 at 6:44 PM, Airdale said:

This is a great article and not fiction. Odd that they don,t directly mention enhanced visual spatial and reduced language. I got the red hair, so,so math but great visual, spatial reasoning. This would be a great reference in the Idiot Savant/Autism Theory threads on the forum of Bigfoot developmental psychology or evolutionary biopsychology.  If the theory is true and a viable dna sample of BF is obtainable, sequencing of these genes would be the markers of choice along with FOXP2 speech gene, also known as CAGH44, SPCH1 or TNRC10.  Again good for the autism or dna threads

Edited by bipedalist