Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Big Stinky

44 minutes ago, gigantor said:

We do have that capability. Not only that, but each researcher can make their section "invitation only", so they decide who has access.

No, we're asking them to help pay for the server and software. It's only $20/year!

Groups can do that for free on Facebook, and reach more people.

Personally, as a member of several BF pages on Facebook, I prefer this forum by far because historical info can be found easily.

With Facebook, once a post is off the front page, it's very difficult to find again.

Sad our world today is so full of haters. I am a Cisco engineer with 22 yrs building corp networks. Been in the business since the start. What started out as way of sharing info. Has turned into people be belittling and causing more damage then is needed.  We have lost our ability to communicate with each other face to face.   There will always be Haters.... 

1 hour ago, MIB said:

I don't think that can go far enough without a change to the charter / bylaws.  

Absolutely agree, but it is "pay to play", and that keeps some people who might have something to contribute out.    We're asking them to pay us to share their data ... hmmmm.   I see a problem with that paradigm.

It would take tight reigns / active moderating.  A step toward doing that could be to have each researcher moderate / approve all posts to their own research section rather than allowing comments from any premium member.    

Ultimately, they have to want to play nice, they have to want to cooperate, or they'll just take the ball we want them to share with us and go home.    If we want their participation, we have to find something they want that we can give, and we have to make it easy for them, otherwise they have better things to do with their time.     That includes enticing them to play nice with people they consider rivals.

MIB

I don’t. A website costs money to run. And we offer them “data” in return. The paradigm is a symbiotic one.

As far as moderating that already exists.

26 minutes ago, Redbone said:

........Personally, as a member of several BF pages on Facebook, I prefer this forum by far because historical info can be found easily.

With Facebook, once a post is off the front page, it's very difficult to find again.

The SSR alone is a goldmine, thanks to a lot of work by people like yourself. For a researcher, that alone is worth well over $20 per year. The online version of the Anchorage Daily News costs $10 per month, and I can get state and local news from numerous other sites for free. There isn't another SSR anywhere.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, norseman said:

I don’t. A website costs money to run. And we offer them “data” in return. The paradigm is a symbiotic one.

No, it's not, it's parasitic, because real researchers don't need our data.    Take a look at our membership.   Who do we have actively participating here from any of the top 10 or so bigfoot groups?   (Other than NathanFooter?)    I can't think of any.   If we offered value, as THEY measure value, they would be here.   So we don't.   We think we do, but we don't.   Instead we try to get them to pay to come here to entertain us, to provide what we want, pay a fee to do it, and give them back nothing they truly need.    If you do not see it this way, you are not paying attention.

MIB

BFF Patron

Like NathanFooter we used to have some Olympic Project people but they got tired of dealing with scoftics and left.     From the outside,  they seem to have turned a corner and are more of an expedition service than research outfit.     Like the BFRO I have not had positive experiences dealing with them.     Many of these supposed research groups are more like bigfoot fraternities than research organizations.    I don't relate to fraternities very well.   

Edited by SWWASAS
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Like NathanFooter we used to have some Olympic Project people but they got tired of dealing with scoftics and left.     From the outside,  they seem to have turned a corner and are more of an expedition service than research outfit.     Like the BFRO I have not had positive experiences dealing with them.     Many of these supposed research groups are more like bigfoot fraternities than research organizations.    I don't relate to fraternities very well.   

Other than the Olympic Project, NAWAC, and the BFRO; who would be considered the top ten research groups? I don't think that NABS is very active anymore.  

I have zero interest in joining one of these groups either.  I either do not align with their stated goals or I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars to go glamping and wander around the woods with twenty other people.  NAWAC and the Olympic Project do good work, but I am not geographically situated to be involved with them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MIB said:

No, it's not, it's parasitic, because real researchers don't need our data.    Take a look at our membership.   Who do we have actively participating here from any of the top 10 or so bigfoot groups?   (Other than NathanFooter?)    I can't think of any.   If we offered value, as THEY measure value, they would be here.   So we don't.   We think we do, but we don't.   Instead we try to get them to pay to come here to entertain us, to provide what we want, pay a fee to do it, and give them back nothing they truly need.    If you do not see it this way, you are not paying attention.

MIB

I hope you are not equating "famous"  to "top 10". I'm very happy to get out and have consistent activity with my small core group of friends. I don't need ANY famous people to help...

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't a good researcher care to keep their finger on the pulse of the general public, especially those with an active interest in the bigfoot phenomenon?

15 minutes ago, Redbone said:

I hope you are not equating "famous"  to "top 10". I'm very happy to get out and have consistent activity with my small core group of friends. I don't need ANY famous people to help...

Exactly right.

When these groups get famous and start charging for the privilege of researching with them, they pretty much set themselves up for the expectation of activity on their events.  

I had a guy go on and on about how I needed to go out with a particular well known group.  They apparently take people to a campground and research the surrounding woods.  Apparently, their hosts went on and on about activity that happened overnight while the paying participants were asleep.  He didn't witness anything himself, but was really excited about being that close to Bigfoot.  

Who knows?  Maybe something did happen that night?  However, that sort of thing holds no appeal for me.  We have a couple of spots that seem to have activity.  I would rather spend my money on gas or equipment than spend it on the privilege of being near a Bigfoot celebrity.

9 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Wouldn't a good researcher care to keep their finger on the pulse of the general public, especially those with an active interest in the bigfoot phenomenon?

Why?  Are they trying to learn about the pulse of the general public, or are they trying to learn about this phenomenon?

Honest question, how does the general public, i.e. a group arguing with trolls about Bigfoot on Facebook affect me or my research?

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

Hmm, can't seem to find any reference to Facebook in my quoted posting.

We're discussing BFF.

Trolling is kept in check here.

2 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Hmm, can't seem to find any reference to Facebook in my quoted posting.

We're discussing BFF.

Both have been discussed here.  Regardless, my question stands.  How does the pulse of the general public affect someone's research results?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am genuinely curious as to what you mean.

BFF Patron
47 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Although OLYMPIC PROJECT put a hiatus on expeditions it was stated that was due to research emphasis and not a total abandonment of that process.  They did more group projects as a force multiplier once they had some success with possibilities like the nests.  I would in no way compare the arrogance of the old BFRO with the OP.   Quality people have left BFRO over the years en masse.   This is not the case with OP as far as I have followed them.  At least the Co-Founder of OP has a daytime job unlike the BFRO King.  Sure it is a status symbol to collect professors and scientists to your team, sort of like real life science and academia in that respect.  I will say that some researchers hedge their bets and have their toes embedded in multiple research efforts/groups. 

You know I just listened to the latest podcast from Area X and they are regurgitating the same stuff they poked others on BFF 1.o over, like,--wait for it,  "faux speech" -- translation:  vocalization/verbalizations that sound human, despite continuing to call things gorillas and apes when viewed from satellite imagery from Google Earth no less.  It sort of pained me to listen to the former owner of the BFF backsliding and describing things that others were castigated over in a previous life.  Full circle baby, full circle. 

Hope the formula for a quality show learns some humility from previous failures in the field which pretty much describes status to date. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Both have been discussed here.  Regardless, my question stands.  How does the pulse of the general public affect someone's research results?

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am genuinely curious as to what you mean.

I didn't state "results." I do state that a good researcher may well have a genuine interest in the entire phenomenon, including the general consensus of the public.

Research in a vacuum, if you wish.

BFF Patron
1 minute ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I didn't state "results." I do state that a good researcher may well have a genuine interest in the entire phenomenon, including the general consensus of the public.

Research in a vacuum, if you wish.

I wouldn't call this forum the general public.       You need a specific interest in BF to be here.  

• Upvote 1