Jump to content
Big Stinky

Expedition Bigfoot :Travel Channel

Recommended Posts

BlackRockBigfoot
26 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I think producers are scraping the bottom of the barrel and they know it. NAWAC historically hasn't courted much in the way of media but in the last few years they may be well positioned to fill the slot. They may also know very well that Animal Planet people may not be in their best interest. Rob Lowe is a bankable commodity and maybe should be the one to produce a NAWAC anything. In truth I think the public might be ready for something serious. There could be some pushback from certain stakeholders though, and the Ouachita is a National Forest although there is private land that may crop up for the right price.

When my fiancee was approached by the non-scripted television production company, she was told that several networks were hungry for cryptid focused shows, but that there were not many people who were involved with the field that the production company found viable for television.  We don't have recognizable names in the field, but we spend a great deal of time (as well as a fair amount of money) on it and take our research seriously.  

 

She was interested in doing something with them, as long as she felt that the show was furthering or adding something to the field, as well as not making her a potential laughingstock.  Basically, she was interested in something more serious, not to be a female version of Mountain Monsters.  Their initial idea was to have the show develop organically (their words) around her efforts into researching the phenomena.  

 

However, the contracts that were required to even do a pilot to shop to networks were a bit concerning.  You have to really be interested in being on television more than being interested in using it as a possible vessel for research.  The language used in the contract is purposely set up to be rather vague in its conditions. You basically have to be willing to potentially go anywhere and possibly do anything that the production company or network requires.  Then, you have no clue how the footage that they film will be edited.  You could set out to make a serious show on the exploration of unknown phenomena only to have it he edited into being a show devoted to fools who look for imaginary monsters.  

 

You need a real desire for fame in order to be willing to take a risk on signing your name on that dotted line.  So I can definitely see were they have trouble finding people that they want to do it that are also willing to do it.  That's how you end up with the bottom of that barrel.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster
1 hour ago, Arvedis said:

.........  It helps that a handful of the founders became wealthy from reality TV. ........

 

"Wealthy"? How much money do you think the four actors made? The folks I know who were on reality shows sure didn't make much money. I could make more in a long day/night plowing snow than any if them did for an episode. Their public exposure, however, lends the promise of more to be made. Barackman appears to be pretty good at making hay in that sunshine, but I still don't think he's getting rich.

Edited by Huntster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
4 hours ago, MIB said:

 

No, it's not, it's parasitic, because real researchers don't need our data.    Take a look at our membership.   Who do we have actively participating here from any of the top 10 or so bigfoot groups?   (Other than NathanFooter?)    I can't think of any.   If we offered value, as THEY measure value, they would be here.   So we don't.   We think we do, but we don't.   Instead we try to get them to pay to come here to entertain us, to provide what we want, pay a fee to do it, and give them back nothing they truly need.    If you do not see it this way, you are not paying attention.

 

MIB

 

Why should I care who is winning the Bigfoot popularity contest? I will grant you that some organizations are self sufficient. But many are not. Just count the people in this thread that go by the title “field researcher”. The BFF is a VALUE to the average researcher. I think it is you who is not paying attention.

 

Ive sent a bone to a bone study because of this forum because of rubbing elbows with other researchers. Hell I just recently got to go to lunch with Nathanfooter and had a great talk. If the BFF didn’t exist? I would be sitting at home watching Finding Bigfoot reruns.....

 

This is not to say that the BFF doesn’t have room for improvement. But I think Gig has done a spectacular job with revamping the forum.

 

I would pay 20 bucks a year just not have to deal with FB and look at the Field Trips 2.0 section. Never mind all the friends I’ve made on here. The insight, the SSR for my area and the acceptance I’ve received for being pro kill. Not gonna find that on the blue forum....

 

If your not a fan? Your not a fan I guess.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arvedis
1 minute ago, Huntster said:

 

"Wealthy"? How much money do you think the four actors made? The folks I know who were on reality shows sure didn't make much money. I could make more in a long day/night plowing snow than any if them did for an episode. Their public exposure, however, lends the promise of more to be made. Barackman appears to be pretty good at making hay in that sunshine, but I still get he isn't getting rich.

 

 

all of them are in low 7 figures.  That is only the case because of the length of the series.  1 or 2 seasons would not be that much.  As the show got more ratings, their take increased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

When my fiancee was approached by the non-scripted television production company, she was told that several networks were hungry for cryptid focused shows, but that there were not many people who were involved with the field that the production company found viable for television.  We don't have recognizable names in the field, but we spend a great deal of time (as well as a fair amount of money) on it and take our research seriously.  

 

She was interested in doing something with them, as long as she felt that the show was furthering or adding something to the field, as well as not making her a potential laughingstock.  Basically, she was interested in something more serious, not to be a female version of Mountain Monsters.  Their initial idea was to have the show develop organically (their words) around her efforts into researching the phenomena.  

 

However, the contracts that were required to even do a pilot to shop to networks were a bit concerning.  You have to really be interested in being on television more than being interested in using it as a possible vessel for research.  The language used in the contract is purposely set up to be rather vague in its conditions. You basically have to be willing to potentially go anywhere and possibly do anything that the production company or network requires.  Then, you have no clue how the footage that they film will be edited.  You could set out to make a serious show on the exploration of unknown phenomena only to have it he edited into being a show devoted to fools who look for imaginary monsters.  

 

You need a real desire for fame in order to be willing to take a risk on signing your name on that dotted line.  So I can definitely see were they have trouble finding people that they want to do it that are also willing to do it.  That's how you end up with the bottom of that barrel.

 

A professional camera crew following you around the woods is folly. One or two men and a GoPro would work.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster
2 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

all of them are in low 7 figures.  That is only the case because of the length of the series.  1 or 2 seasons would not be that much.  As the show got more ratings, their take increased.

 

$ Millions?! 

 

I bet you're way high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arvedis
7 minutes ago, Huntster said:

 

$ Millions?! 

 

I bet you're way high.

 

I have nothing tangible to back it up (though I am sure a net worth search would be revealing). I am working with one of them on his book and I know his cronies. It's hard not to miss the obvious.  I don't think any of them could survive on conference speaking alone and that is a minor layer on top of television paychecks.

 

It is amazing how much people on a credible network make. It's big time :money:

Edited by Arvedis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
7 minutes ago, norseman said:

 

A professional camera crew following you around the woods is folly. One or two men and a GoPro would work.

Originally it was just going to be the two of us, with what we hoped was upgraded equipment.  

 

However, there ended up being no guarantees of that in writing, so that was that.  

 

Les Stroud has the right idea on how to do a show like this.  That what she was shooting for.  But, unless you get it in writing from the start, who knows what you will end up with as other players get involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
1 minute ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Originally it was just going to be the two of us, with what we hoped was upgraded equipment.  

 

However, there ended up being no guarantees of that in writing, so that was that.  

 

Les Stroud has the right idea on how to do a show like this.  That what she was shooting for.  But, unless you get it in writing from the start, who knows what you will end up with as other players get involved.

 

Very true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
4 minutes ago, norseman said:

 

Your right. Unless yer a Kardashian.

 

https://screenrant.com/reality-tv-show-star-salaries-best-worst/

I am paraphrasing the contract I saw, but it said something to the effect of "compensation will be decided upon by industry standards as well as your standing in the entertainment industry".

 

If you have no previous standing in that industry, I bet that it is not much.  Most people will do it out of hunger for fame at any cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arvedis

Think of it like this...

 

in total, there are around 100 episodes of a reality show over a 9 years span.  You are offered 25 or 30k per episode to start. That is pretty standard.  The show becomes popular so your take increases to the point of you making upwards of 100k per episode or at the least, 70k.  Do the math even using an average take of 50k per episode.  Take out taxes and what are you left with. 7 figures.

Edited by Arvedis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
23 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

Think of it like this...

 

in total, there are around 100 episodes of a reality show over a 9 years span.  You are offered 25 or 30k per episode to start. That is pretty standard.  The show becomes popular so your take increases to the point of you making upwards of 100k per episode or at the last, 70k.  Do the math even using an average take of 50k per episode.  Take out taxes and what are you left with. 7 figures.

However, the majority of reality shows, especially involving this subject matter, will go 1or 2 seasons.  Killing Bigfoot and Missing In Alaska are the 2 examples that immediately come to mind.  Once you establish a name for yourself you may be able to command higher compensation.  

 

However, no one involved with a niche reality based show just starting off on a theme cable network is pulling in 25k per episode.  Again, Finding Bigfoot and Mountain Monsters have lasted longer and are outliers. If they were shelling out 25 or 30k per episode, we would be running around the woods right now wearing old coveralls with 20 people following us with cameras not finding anything.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntster
7 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

.........If they were shelling out 25 or 30k per episode, we would be running around the woods right now wearing old coveralls with 20 people following us with cameras not finding anything.

 

LOL........if they paid me $25k or $30k for some adventure, I'd give them some. Guided grizzly hunts can be had for less than that. I can get them charged by a coastal brownie for a fraction of that.

Edited by Huntster
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hiflier
3 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

......we would be running around the woods right now wearing old coveralls with 20 people following us with cameras not finding anything.

 

Are you forgetting about the beard? It would lend a certain backwoods credibility to your image ;) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...