Can't discuss bigfoot with friends, and family.

georgerm

21 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Just the opposite . My family members believe in the mythical beast. I am the skeptic who doubts their existence. 

No specimen means .No existence. No book,film,foot prints or eyewitnesses holds up  to scrutiny. 

Pretty close minded. So, meh.

Kind of an interesting question.

I have only had problems with one family member and that was back at the beginning when my slightly older cousin and I told family about our sighting.   We were told, by one specific family elder, that we did NOT see any such thing and if we did not recant our story, he would kill us.   He was prone to extreme rages and extreme violence, demonstrated joy in hurting people, so we took that to heart.    In more recent times I had problems with that person over something else and .. we sorta re-arranged the pecking order you might say.   Still, my cousin remains afraid to tell the truth.   We had another cousin present for the telling, though not the sighting, who remembers what we shared in a way that is completely consistent with what I remember seeing.      

Other than that, people have been pretty supportive.   A few smirk if anyone else is present .. looks like fear of being ridiculed if they don't ridicule me.   Reminds me of the line from FDR's first inagural address: "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."   Even those folks ask questions when they think nobody will see them doing it.

MIB

Well, I think that people who living in big cities have a very sceptical view (including our very close ones). But people who living on the land are much more... sensitive, because they are know things around. Now, when I live outside the big citie, I met less sceptics, and found more people who saw/feel something they can't explain (or don't want explaine because it's still kinda like a taboo) including my family members or friends. That's funny because they are all know about my bigfoot "passion" more over 20 years, and the answer on "what it could be" should be very simple, but... 
By the way, does anybody has any ideas about "X" type structures meaning? (or help me to find that topic...)

Welcome, AlisonV.

While I have found quite a few "X" structures, among a bunch of structures of other types, I can only venture a guess as to what they mean. I think it might mean something akin to "Come no further. This is BF territory". But that is strictly a guess with no basis in fact. The glyphs(stick, stone and bone) I have found I do not know. But obviously deliberate symbols.

Most people have NO idea what being in the woods is all about.  Both city folk and suburban dwellers think going to their town park is roughing in the great outdoors.  I don't wish to cast aspersions as that is probably all they know and have experienced.  They wonder how could a bigfoot live in the town park and never be spotted. 

Once they get out into the deep wilderness, it opens their eyes that something really could live in this unfettered expanse of forest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Welcome, AlisonV.

While I have found quite a few "X" structures, among a bunch of structures of other types, I can only venture a guess as to what they mean. I think it might mean something akin to "Come no further. This is BF territory". But that is strictly a guess with no basis in fact. The glyphs(stick, stone and bone) I have found I do not know. But obviously deliberate symbols.

Thank you, NorthWind! 
Me too. I have found them, and lot of others signs ("pyramids" of rocks, arches, road barriers, "Y" stick (love the theory about that sign - "Y" stick meaning "This is me", identifying sasquatch as an individual) and ets. But I don't like the theory about "X" like a "Welcome" sign to us, it doesn't make sense to me. 
I appreciate your response! "X" structures still can't get out of my head!

19 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

They wonder how could a bigfoot live in the town park and never be spotted. 

And I am still one of them. I still can't wrap around of my head how someone that big could living somewhere like my area, where at summertime living thousands of people, and they have NO IDEA about!

Most of people can watch but can't see. That's the evil irony of life. Or maybe something which saves bigfoot as a species, who knows. But I am still feeling myself like a white crow among ... "normal" people who don't want see. Sometimes it makes me super sad. : ) 

Think of living near a local lake and wondering how some sea monster could possibly be in it. Then take a small boat a few hundred miles out into the ocean and you'll see how vast it is.  Then you wonder how a sea monster   could ever be detected in something so immense.

The town park/vast wilderness is akin to that.  When I get out there I wonder how anybody could ever find it.  I'd bet that 99%+ of travel in the deep forests of North America are done on a hiking trail.  Get  300+ yards off trail where you're bushwhacking and you realize that no human has probably been there in a hundred years with the exception of a stray hunter.

My interest in Bigfoot was sparked in the early sixties with an article in "Boy's Life", the scouting magazine; they ran a series of articles on various cryptids such as the Nandi Bear of Africa and giant sloths in South America. I recall reading a "Reader's Digest" article on Yeti in the late fifties that may have primed me for interest in outside the box things. I was a junior in high school when the "Argosy Magazine" write up of the PGF came out, and those stills convinced me the creature was real. I've had several of my younger nephews tell me as adults that they loved visiting at my folks house in Helena, Montana, because I was always doing and talking about such "cool" stuff. One who became a Catholic priest later in life and has now passed on was very interested in Bigfoot. He went to seminary in California and many of the fellow priests he studied with came to Helena from around the west for his funeral and several of them told me that he introduced them to the subject; one from Texas has had his own encounter.

I've maintained an interest in the subject throughout life but raising a family, work, etc. always took precedence; it wasn't until "Finding Bigfoot" came on that I realized there were a lot of people actually active in the field. Unfortunately by that time complications with arthritis were limiting my mobility. I bring the subject up frequently with friends and family and have never had a negative response, the majority of people actually express interest when it's presented in a straight forward, non-sensationalized manner. I also have friends who gift me with Bigfoot items and my wife passed beyond the eye rolling stage years ago. Now I'm regaining some of my mobility, my wife is retired and we're beginning to take our RV to more interesting areas to see what pops up. I've learned so much here on the BFF over nearly seven years as a member and am looking forward to putting what I can to practice.

• Thanks 1

A priest with an encounter??!?? That must have put him in a bit of a theological tailspin. More so than the rest of us- even the knowers. I would keep in contact with him if I were you. Would love to hear what happened.

Hmmm - I think you missed a line in the post above, hiflier!!

The Priest in question has passed on, so if Airdale can keep in touch, he's really someone special. :-)

OOPS - maybe I should pay more attention; 2 priests, one passed on, and another from Texas with an encounter. Sorry for the senior moment.

Edited by BC witness
  • Upvote 1

I just got into a discussion at the range with a couple of guys about sasquatchery, discovery, and government........it evolved from a discussion on African exploration in the 19th Century. There were others listening, too. All took the discussion seriously, and the possibility of government suppression of discovery because of the problems of human rights for a newly recognized hominid species was universally agreed upon.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I just got into a discussion at the range with a couple of guys about sasquatchery, discovery, and government........it evolved from a discussion on African exploration in the 19th Century. There were others listening, too. All took the discussion seriously, and the possibility of government suppression of discovery because of the problems of human rights for a newly recognized hominid species was universally agreed upon.

That's a pretty amazing story in and of itself.

BC witness, hey, Bud, we all have those senior moments. Historically here at the BFF my posts are riddled with them. Being Human is tough. Being a senior Human? ooooooh baby.

Edited by hiflier

Sound like I'm having bad luck when it comes to spreading bigfoot news to the clan. Many of you out there seem to be making bigfoot connections with friends and family. Glad to hear this. My wife rolls her eyes when I tell of a new bigfoot story. My son-in-law makes a joke of bigfoot, and he is a country sheriff. He claims none has ever complained of a bigfoot pest here in Coos County, Oregon. My brother thinks bigfoot is make believe and silly. My son Jim is a savior of my bigfoot passion, and he is warming up to the idea and will discuss the topic. Would it be out of line to have some of the gals on the forum to email my wife and discuss bigfoot with her?

Have to be honest, My sons humor me and like others I have a spouse who doesn't want to listen to anything on the subject. And yes, friends send me articles that I have already read long ago quoting high profile "researchers" that I don't trust. And they sometimes buy me trinkets. I have recently discovered a friend down the street, though, who now will at least bring an intelligent ear to the subject. Beyond that I am pretty much in a void with no one beyond this Forum to talk things over with. Let's face it, when someone asks me point blank if I believe the creature is real, saying "yes" gets the usual response. It's only when someone sits and listens to about two hours of WHY I think that way do they open their minds. It's only happened a couple of times.

Even after laying out the whole story (as much as I know anyway) of the nest find in the OlymPen there are no follow up questions, nor is it ever brought up again unless I initiate something. After six and a half years of digging deep into this subject there is only pretty much isolation to greet me. Talk about limbo. Not much choice but to use my brain to keep digging here on this fine Forum. THANK YOU BFF!

Edited by hiflier