Can't discuss bigfoot with friends, and family.

georgerm

On the original topic, I am lucky enough that my significant other and a few friends are knowers or believers.  

People who are dismissive or insulting of the subject, well I avoid discussing it with them.  I am obviously not going to convince them of anything, nor will their arguments change my mind.  I try not to let my ego get involved with this.  As long as they are not insulting about it, their disbelief doesn't bother me at all.  

People who get so personally invested in trying to sway other's beliefs are a mystery to me.  I can have a friendly debate about the subject, if the circumstances permit it.  But, I don't expect to change any minds.   A lot of skeptics allow that skepticism to define them.  It's the same way with people who see Bigfoot in every blurry photo and hear them in every coyote call.  Their identity is wrapped up in their point of view.  That's not going to be changed by anything that I can say.  

Considering that we don't have one of these things in a cage or on a slab, I don't begrudge people for not believing.

3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Oh, now, that sounds very interesting! 

I traded whistles with two in my initial experience in 2012. I think they were hunting and then I sidetracked them by interrupting, and their curiosity brought them closer. 

Trading whistles doesn't happen unless we know where they live.

3 hours ago, Twist said:

I'm confused exactly what people are plussing?  I dont see a small rock stacks, say 3-4 rocks, as anything negative.  I like seeing them if done creatively.    I've never thought of them as a "graffiti" or in a negative connotation.   If not done with too large of rocks or to high how are they a harm?    If able to fall and hurt people thats a different story but in my experience tubing I've never saw it in a harmful manner. 

What am I missing here?  

Twist the rock stacks are about knee high and can be seen at the edge of a river or on the edge of a road. There could be ways to tell if was BF or a human that made it. 

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Now days I live between Shady Cove and Medford and commute in to work in Ashland.   Prior to June I lived in Ashland for over 20 years.    I grew up around Agness though .. upriver a few miles.    I left in '82 but with family still there, I go back several times a year.   I know the east slope of Iron Mountain a bit.     Didn't spend a huge amount of time in that direction.    Some, mostly in the upper parts of Foster Creek and Twomile Creek.   I don't know the west side of Iron Mountain very well.    

What part of Iron Mountain are you interested in?    Where do you stay at Agness?    Maybe I can toss you a few ideas.

Foster Bar is a favorite area of mine. We were there a few months ago, and we stayed at a cabin that Lucas Lodge owns. A long, long time ago I had a night watchmen job up on Iron Mountain. At the time BF was not on my radar. Something pushed on the side of the camp trailer and figured it was a logger but it seemed way to early in the morning for logger play. 

15 minutes ago, georgerm said:

There could be ways to tell if was BF or a human that made it. 

How could you tell if rocks were stacked by BF or Human? 

20 minutes ago, georgerm said:

Trading whistles doesn't happen unless we know where they live.

Twist the rock stacks are about knee high and can be seen at the edge of a river or on the edge of a road. There could be ways to tell if was BF or a human that made it. 

How exactly could you tell the difference between a human making it or a BF?  The size/weight of the stones?

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

On the original topic, I am lucky enough that my significant other and a few friends are knowers or believers.  

People who are dismissive or insulting of the subject, well I avoid discussing it with them.  I am obviously not going to convince them of anything, nor will their arguments change my mind.  I try not to let my ego get involved with this.  As long as they are not insulting about it, their disbelief doesn't bother me at all.  

Your thoughts are a good way to deal with naysayers. Those who don't bother to study evidence that bigfoot leaves behind, then proclaim bigfoot is a myth are simply not using all 6 cylinders. It's better to simply say bigfoot's evidence is not my area of study, and what do you know about this? Many never study books and articles then speak as an authority on bigfoot. Some proclaim bigfoot is a myth such as my wife and son in law. I will accept this so give me time.  

23 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

How exactly could you tell the difference between a human making it or a BF?  The size/weight of the stones?

Good question. If the formation is in a remote area along a stream with nice round rocks that are stacked knee high, it draws questions. Is this a bigfoot marker or was it some kids playing around? If it's inaccessible where lots of people don't go, then it may be bigfoot marking something like a den, trail, or boundary line. The rocks are not big and neatly stacked. When we get several eye witnesses that see bigfoot making a rock marker then it's a fact. If tree breaks or twists are present then it may be BF.  

Edited by georgerm
correct

2 hours ago, georgerm said:

Foster Bar is a favorite area of mine.

Yeah, nice area.   Gets a bit congested there in summer with all the raft takeouts for the canyon floats and the raft / inner-tube put-ins for the float from Foster down to Hog Eddy.   I used to putter around there and up on the old Big Bend Ranch, worked for a while across the river for one of the land owners, too.  Had to cross the river on the cable car just below Foster to get to-from work.   Hanging from that old frayed cable scared the daylights out of me. 

We were there a few months ago, and we stayed at a cabin that Lucas Lodge owns.

Oh, cool.   In older days I used to spend a lot of time at Lucas's.   

A long, long time ago I had a night watchmen job up on Iron Mountain. At the time BF was not on my radar. Something pushed on the side of the camp trailer and figured it was a logger but it seemed way to early in the morning for logger play. 

Were you camped at one of the trailheads?   

Do you know where "Hell's Half Acre" is up there?   From the way my dad and great grandfather have described it, I think it might be a potential place to look for BF "nests" like the Olympic Project investigated.   That's a guess, of course.

MIB

5 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Well, it would definitely run concurrent with the theory that they hide their dead. 

A mass die off would certainly leave more forensic evidence than what we have been able to find...........

Frankly, I don't believe they have been prolific at any time, especially in North America. Obviously, they haven't been prolific in the Old World, either, including Africa, going back forever. So even a major die off due to smallpox here wouldn't leave piles of sasquatch fossils for these questionable anthropologists today to trip over any more than there are native North American fossils from the 16th Century showing up every time you dig a hole to place a fencepost.

3 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I've made sasquatch size rock cairns with an excavator/thumb piling rip rap to armor riverbanks. The message we left, though, was with orange mesh fencing. It implied, "Keep Out!"

All the sasquatches in the area seemed to honor that, but not all the sapiens did.........

I couldn't even begin to guess at their approximate population.  Not enough hard data to come up with a number.  

Density of sightings vs the lack of physical remains.  Minimum viable breeding population of a species with apparently no natural predators vs a shrinking  habitat.

I definitely don't think that they are only limited to the Pacific Northwest, but I also don't think that they are eating out of dumpsters in lower Manhattan.  I don't think that they are in the verge of extinction, nor do I think that they proliferate in every corner of the continent.

My guess would be on the lower end of the middle of all that.

There are 25,000 to 30,000 black bears in Oregon and bigfoot is believed to forage for the same food. The black bear is not as bright as bigfoot so it gets seen and shot more often. Bigfoot is more stealthy. Cougars are more rare than bears with 6400 cats roaming the woods. How about half the cougar population is what bigfoot numbers may be topping off at 3200. They remain well hidden and use their intelligence to stay unseen more so than bears or cougars. Good hearing, smarts, and sense of smell keeps them informed as to human intruders. This is the reason for many Oregonians believing bigfoot is a myth and why my family won't investigate bigfoot's home.  

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

There are 25,000 to 30,000 black bears in Oregon and bigfoot is believed to forage for the same food. The black bear is not as bright as bigfoot so it gets seen and shot more often. Bigfoot is more stealthy. Cougars are more rare than bears with 6400 cats roaming the woods. How about half the cougar population is what bigfoot numbers may be topping off at 3200........

A really smart feller from BFF v1.0 noted the correlation of bigfoot sightings with top quality black bear habitat, and that correlation appears sound. He also came up with a ratio of 1 sasquatch per 200 black bears based upon report densities in those regions, which seems reasonable, if not arbitrary (but you won't get a competing ratio from fish and game biologists, so it's as good as we're going to get).

With @ 1,000,000 black bears in North America, that gives us a rough estimate of 5,000 sasquatches. 25,000 black bears in Oregon? That should equate to @ 125 sasquatches.

I'll entertain other theories, but that's just what they are; theories..........

31 minutes ago, Huntster said:

With @ 1,000,000 black bears in North America, that gives us a rough estimate of 5,000 sasquatches. 25,000 black bears in Oregon? That should equate to @ 125 sasquatches.

The Grizzly population is slowly bouncing back from way fewer than 5,000.

In my Lewis and Clark journal readings, which had entries from nearly every day, they spoke of Grizzlies in the mid-West from Missouri onward. They shot a lot of them, but they also wrote about the many that they only wounded which got away. One curious fact: They mention quite few Grizzlies that were white, and one that was dark with a white band going around its body at the shoulders. These men were good hunters and spoke often about how difficult it was, and how many shots it took to bring one down.

They also wrote about large herds of buffalo that would approach a high cliff above a river and the ones in the lead would get pushed over the edge by the ones behind them that couldn't see the cliff. So the expedition would come upon these ravines with a river flowing through and find many buffalo carcasses at the bottom along the sides of the rivers that had peen forced over the edge by their own herd.

Edited by hiflier

5 minutes ago, hiflier said:

.........One curious fact: They mention quite few Grizzlies that were white, and one that was dark with a white band going around its body at the shoulders. These men were good hunters and spoke often about how difficult it was, and how many shots it took to bring one down........

Today, 75% of the brown bears in North America are in Alaska.........some 35,000 or more. I see them regularly. I've stood in one spot and seen 11 bears through my binocs. I've seen them in coloration from platinum blonde to jet black, and cubs commonly have that white band around their bodies at the shoulders. I had a beautiful Toklat blonde boar just a few springs ago that I was sure was going to walk up to my bait, but he made me and simply walked away. He would have been the trophy of a lifetime.......probably an 8 footer, beautiful blonde with chocolate legs. It was a solo hunt. It was a lifetime opportunity........and it eluded me.

And so it is. I live in a land twice the size of Texas with 35,000 brown bears, I hunt regularly, it's perfectly legal, and I have yet to shoot one.

So calculate my odds of shooting a sasquatch..........