The "How To Hunt" Channel and Sasquatch Commentary

WSA

BFF Patron

My theory on why my H2 recorded it is that it detects pressure waves like a wind gust.     It comes with a foam filter that fits over the microphones to reduce wind noise.    So while it would not detect a sinusoidal infrasound it detects and records the pressure wave fronts.   The low frequencies also have long wave lengths in comparison to audible sound.   So each passing pressure wave drives the recorder circuitry just like a gust of wind or a distant gunshot would.   .   As long as the the pressure wave form is recognizable as that, the recorder does its thing recording it.     People here have argued with me about the specs of the recorder but my answer to that is that my recorder will record a gunshot.  A gunshot is a single pressure wave.   If I shoot a gun off once a second my recorder will record that.    That is 1 HZ.    So if it is capable of that, it is capable of 5 HZ or 15 HZ which are infrasound frequencies.   I recognize that what a BF can produce is not as strong as a gunshot, and the wave graphic wave forms I recorded are representative of that.   They are barely above the background noise level in the recording.   

3 minutes ago, WSA said:

Wondering what the frequency is that is generated by the fluctuating pressure that happens when you drive a car at high speed with one window cracked open? Not sure, but it is unbearable to most people when you hit the “sweet” spot. Not just your eardrum oscillating but a true, deep in the gut fluttery feeling that must mimic infrasound at least. 

That is an excellent example.     I will run my recorder and record that and I can measure that with Sonic Visualizer.   It does produce a sound you can feel in your body.     The movie theatre sound systems can produce that too.   Vibrate your gut.  

Sonic Visualizer is a shareware product of St Maries College in London England.       Go to sonicvisualizer.org and you can download it for free.  I just updated mine to a new version a few minutes ago.  

• Like 1

BFF Patron

Airdale the problem being that the infrasound unit for sale in your link is just a signal generator.    That is the easy part.     A preamp that or amplifier that operates at those frequencies below human hearing is not an off the shelf thing.   A very large speaker would be required.    Some speakers likely have a low range cutoff to avoid damage to the speaker below the human hearing threshold.    I think the cheapest way to get there is some sort of a mechanical device driven by a motor.    The outfit that made my infrasound detector used to produce a infrasound generator that was some sort of modified 55 gallon drum.     I don't think they produce them any more.    Anyone that messes with generation of infrasound needs to be aware that it can injure you.   But again,   I think it would attract any bigfoot within miles to see who can do what they do.  

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

Airdale the problem being that the infrasound unit for sale in your link is just a signal generator.    That is the easy part.     A preamp that or amplifier that operates at those frequencies below human hearing is not an off the shelf thing.   A very large speaker would be required.    Some speakers likely have a low range cutoff to avoid damage to the speaker below the human hearing threshold.    I think the cheapest way to get there is some sort of a mechanical device driven by a motor.    The outfit that made my infrasound detector used to produce a infrasound generator that was some sort of modified 55 gallon drum.     I don't think they produce them any more.    Anyone that messes with generation of infrasound needs to be aware that it can injure you.   But again,   I think it would attract any bigfoot within miles to see who can do what they do.  

The generator would need to be used in conjunction with the Crown Amplifier (I didn't see it mentioned whether that unit has an integrated pre-amp. Further down on the forum page it discusses using a fan.

Another option would be to find someone who plays the great highland bagpipes and has an interest in Sasquatch. Jeff Meldrum mentions them in "Legend Meets Science"; "it has been said that the (bass) drones were tuned to create a dissonance that wreaked havoc with the horses of the English cavalry." The third bass drone, added to the pipes in the 1700's, combined with the shrill high notes allowed them to be heard up to ten miles away on the battlefield. I've always wondered if the pipes would get the attention of the local population of Sasquatch.

BFF Patron

I think any musical instrument would be interesting to them.    The Idaho bunch I use to be in contact with took guitars and sang for them.    The local BF seemed to enjoy the nightly entertainment at the campground.     I used to play a trumpet before I knocked my front teeth out.     I had to give it up because the bridge I have would fail from the pressure.     I bet a tuba would be good.     The brits were still using bagpipes in World War II.     Hard to get them to break with tradition but in modern warfare you sure do not want to advertise that you are coming.    Now you could develop bagpipe seeking missiles very easily.    I think that will be my summer project and develop something that produces infrasound.   If I can do that, I can validate my recording findings.    i have the detection gear already.       I have never deployed that in the field because it is not very portable.       I need to do that.    Who knows BF may broadcast its presence to other BF with infrasound for all we know, just like they do tree knocking.  Maybe the big males use infrasound and the younger males and females tree knock.     Who knows!

BFF Patron

Just discovered this app for an android device to detect infrasound.      I have an IPhone so cannot try it.      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microcadsystems.serge.infrasounddetector&hl=en_US   Curious as to whether it works.   

BFF Patron

/

@gigantor @SWWASASInteresting, I am wondering what keeps this app from having total control and ability to use your cellphone microphone at all hours when it is on?  There is one complaint that it does stay on in the background--as reviewed. Also, reviews seem to vary from wow to laughing out loud in regard to practicality and implementation.  One weakness is that it does not seem to record infrasound and that there seems to be a log that is difficult to access for some reason and even print out?  So, I would imagine those limitations would prevent serious study other than to be able to detect sounds down to 10 hZ from what reviewers are stating.  Developer also offers an ultrasound app.  Sergio Gudkov is the developer and seems to have a host of audio analyzer and other free apps on Google Store. He can be reached at info@sergiosoft.com  From some of the reviews he is nonEnglish speaker with reports of grammar and spelling errors in the interface. It is discussed as adfree but one installer claims adware and spam resulted from download; author stated this was impossible.  I think it needs further study.  It is stated the app does not ask for or use internet permissions.  I think it would be interesting if someone technically sophisticated do audio review for the BFF if that is possible.  If not maybe @gigantor has an android phone he doesn't mind being hacked and he can report back to us, lol.  I definitely have a need to use such an infrasonic app for sure; I have some local irregularities that I believe are neighborhood issues in the infrasonic domain. Thanks for sharing

Edited by bipedalist

Admin
21 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

If not maybe @gigantor has an android phone he doesn't mind being hacked

Great little app. Seems to work great, but I'm at home right now so I can't test it very well.

No hacks for ads, it only asked for permission to record and use the microphone.

I have a 3 year old Android phone if anybody wants it. But you have to use it for Bigfoot research and post the results here on the BFF.

Just send me a PM and it's yours.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bipedalist said:

, I am wondering what keeps this app from having total control and ability to use your cellphone microphone at all hours when it is on?

I believe it might be that everytime you download an app to your cell phone . You are giving permission to the app to use the services of the microphone of your cellphone. Just like what Gignator has mention. This is how these apps operate and this is also how some hackers also use apps as well. Androids are well known for this since. You should always look for apps that you can control the inputs of your cell phone. Best bet do exactly what Gigantor says use an old android phone that you do not give a heck about.

Now on another note I know I am late on giving some input on Scott and his video that was posted a thread or two back. But what I saw there is legit except for it being a day light sighting. The eyes fit as well as the hair and the way that it is hiding behind the tree on all fours.  The eye's were solid white and seem glowing and some what gulf ball size.  This is what I have seen in on video in some other part of a state that another researcher filmed. As far David filming himself on the beach in Cali well I am not sure of what to think . But I did enjoy that type of format as well as how Steve from ( How to hunt) does it.  I say kudo's to them both for what they are doing.  If you are reading and hiding in the back ground , keep up the good fight. I say thank you for your help. Scott stay safe.

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

validate my recording findings.

I don't know what recording equipment that you have. If portable, go to a zoo with giraffes. Giraffes have silent voices. They communicate with infrasonic noise.  A mother and a young offspring are very 'vocal'. If you have video, you could call it 'Silent Movie 2'.  Humans may hear a grunt, snort or bleat from time to time but giraffes are the silent type.  African elephants are another potential test group. They stop with 4 feet planted firmly and 'listen'.  They are known to dig up seismic sensors and squash them flatter than a slow running tourist / poacher.

• Upvote 1

On watching the recent HTH videos I have to say I’m having trouble getting his central issue...that mainstream researchers “don’t care” about the average Working Joe witness and how traumatic an encounter can be, etc.

I could see if he had an axe to grind with a community of skeptics who dismiss witnesses as liars, hoaxers or gullible, but researchers invested in proving existence to the public and the scientific world ? Seems they would be their natural allies. What better way to show empathy than through the validation of the experience?  

I can’t say for sure, never having had a Class A sighting, but I would imagine a great deal of the emotional upheaval in having one might usually be the lack of a realistic framework to put the experience in context. BF researchers have produced a lot of information that helps with this. 

I guess everyone in this this field has a schtick to make them stand apart, but his central theme is a little incoherent, unless it is me that is misunderstanding him and his message. 

• Upvote 1

Admin
11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

If portable, go to a zoo

Great idea, I'll head to the National Zoo as soon as it opens.

BFF Patron
11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

I don't know what recording equipment that you have. If portable, go to a zoo with giraffes. Giraffes have silent voices. They communicate with infrasonic noise.  A mother and a young offspring are very 'vocal'. If you have video, you could call it 'Silent Movie 2'.  Humans may hear a grunt, snort or bleat from time to time but giraffes are the silent type.  African elephants are another potential test group. They stop with 4 feet planted firmly and 'listen'.  They are known to dig up seismic sensors and squash them flatter than a slow running tourist / poacher.

My detector is semi portable but not something a zoo would let you set up.     I think now there are detectors that have been developed for industrial use that are far more portable.      Infrasound has been identified as an industrial hazard.   Those huge windmills that generate electricity also produce high levels of infrasound.     I will find one for industrial use and use that in the field.     With two instruments,   one being my digital recorder,  I can certainly validate it if it is used against me.     I might have to be dangerously aggressive to provoke a BF to use it.    Not sure what the dividing line would be between ticking them off enough to zap me or ticking them off enough that they would enjoy ripping my head off more.   I am hoping, like I theorize,   that they use single pings of infrasound as some sort of signals.    That would be good because it would take ticking them off out of the equation and possibly lead to some way to use it to locate them.     Infrasound can travel great distances.    Around the globe when atomic weapons are detonated.  

Edited by SWWASAS

BFF Patron

Well the good thing is that when you feel the need to leave you are probably getting a dose of infrasound.      When I was zapped I got hit 4 times in the period of a couple of minutes.    Each zap lasted about 5 seconds.     I was able to measure time etc from the digital recorder clock.    I would guess if the infrasound is created by expelling air then about 5 seconds is about all the BF can do at a time.     When I searched I found an apple app that claims to detect infrasound too.   

I would be careful with that Gudkov app because it sounds like it could be used to collect spying information.   Warning you about open microphone does to prevent it from being used covertly.  

BFF Patron

I found a professional grade sound level meter that operates from 1 to 20,000 HZ designed to detect and monitor infrasound.   Rion SL 62   It is a portable meter size operating on AA batteries.     It will be expensive since they give you a quote rather than publish the price.   I should get a quote during the week.      I can think of all kinds of ways to just detect it but most are not portable.       A permanent magnet speaker of large size  12 or 15 inch attached to a battery powered oscilloscope would detect it,,   and  allow recording of the wave form.    But would have to stay with your vehicle due to lack of portability.     Looking at how to generate it the most direct way would be take a signal generator and drive a large powered subwoofer.      From the literature the larger the subwoofer box the better as long as it is not square.      The 55 gallon barrel build had a powered subwoofer mounted in the top of the barrel, which was closed up, except for a long large diameter PVC pipe sticking out of it.       With low frequencies come long wave lengths so speaker boxes or the barrel application needs a long distance to build the wave form.    

Edited by SWWASAS