Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest believer

So two juveniles.

What happened to the other one?

Did It run off into the woods?

Killing the other one puts the shooter in the same league as the poachers in Africa.

Driver, please do what you can to prevent this from happening again

Dave

• Upvote 1

Just what this thread needs- more judgement! It seems everyone here knew the exact correct way to react except for the general... How unfortunate.

Not going to be able to make anyone happy here so I'm not going to try. See ya all after a while.

Happy Squatching everyone!

DR

What do you mean? Couldn't you just quickly answer the few questions that were directed to you, since you were going to post anyway? You have proven to be an excellent source for this topic...

That's not how it reads.

Tim, I dont know if you yourself hunt or not, but I think I understand where TheDriver is coming from.

From post 1479 he said the following:

Honestly I have two regrets; first off I wish it had dropped where it stood because I know either way it died, and it would have changed everything. And second I wish the kid was never shot because it was unnecessary, and I'm not about just the fun of the kill. It's more to me than that, it's an experience and that turned the day sour for me.,

No we did not take any physical evidence home THAT DAY

First bold part- he is expressing what every responsible hunter should, in relation to the Adult creature.

No responsible hunter with a decent heart wants to see any animal get shot/wounded- and then run off into the bush to die a slow painful confusing death. I think we all would like to get a good solid "kill shot" that drops the animal where it stands, or at least it dies quickly with a minimal amount of tracking being necessary.

Second bold part- regarding the "youngster"... I will try to explain it with my own experiences.

There are two parts of a hunting kill. The first part is an exhilaration, a burst of adrenaline, a pounding heart that some people explain as "the thrill of the hunt" or some people who dont like hunting will call "bloodlust" or some other derogatory term. I myself cant help admitting that the many times I've successfully hunted a large buck, or even knocked down a fat pheasant with a great long shot- that I've felt this initial thrill. The second part of the equation is the knowledge that you've just provided sustenance for your family, or yourself. It accompanies a period after the kill where many will give thanks for the animal they've just harvested, and an overall appreciation of the surrounding nature builds in as well.

It is an act that reinforces an old primal connection we have with nature and the prey animals we've hunted for much if not all of our history.

There's no such feeling to be obtained from grabbing a steak from your local grocer's meat section, with its styrofoam package and cellophane wrapper.

In fact it makes us as people even more callous and unappreciative about where "meat" actually comes from, and the sacrifice involved.

I think TheDriver made his feelings very clear on the subject, and there really isnt any room for confusion about what he did/didnt say.

He clearly stated he regretted that the young one was shot, and if anything's to be read into his statement- its not that young one was shot for "fun", but that it was part of a confusing, adrenaline filled moment, during which a mistake was made.

When he say's "Im not just about the fun of the kill", he's telling you that for him there needs to be another reason for doing so.

That's my take on the whole thing, but of course as always, your mileage may vary...

Art

Polypodium, exactly what I was thinking! Love the Cartman clip. I assume from Derek's reaction, that Driver has not been hooked and reeled in with an NDA. Why wait and buy the book when we can get his story right here, right now, for free! If the Driver so choses. I find it odd when folks say well, I'm not in it for money or recognition and then when that money or recognition is threatened they get a little testy. Good questions regarding the book and who gets what fellas! (side note, how did you get the eating popcorn image? I'm not familiar how to get the icons).

Just posting as a regular member on this one..... :)

No one is ever required to provide information on the internet they don't wish to. Folks do try to be helpful, but any inside info we've been given is a 'gift', in that with the multitude of bigfoot websites out there Derekfoot, Driver, and the General can post anywhere and have chosen to graciously answer questions here. They for obvious reasons are in hot demand right now so I'm happy they've picked us to share what they can. They didn't have too.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, btw. Just an honest question. I have another question for the book.(Sort of:) If you were to take a well known lie-detector expert, and film a video for YouTube with Smeja, and the Driver taking a lie detector test about every aspect of the shooting, and then release it in conjunction with Ketchums results, and the OP book, would it help book sales, exposure, and credibility?

I'll be the first to admit that the stance that Smeja, and the Driver take about the money, and/or attention, and the fact that two hunters leave something as important as those bodies on that mountain strikes me as odd, even if they were stricken with fear. I know that some people are unaffected by those things, but their actions seem to be to the contrary sometimes. Not that it matters. I'd be completely unapologetic about it, personally. But when you keep seeing someone throwing gas on the fire, it makes it tough to believe that they don't like fire. I don't disbelieve that the DNA is valid, based on DR's word, but it seems like we tip-toe around asking pertinent questions sometimes out of respect for Derek, even when certain things seem amiss.

Admin

This is for General and Driver:

Assuming this incident occurred the way it's been portrayed, Why was the "juvenile" BF body not collected and brought in to local authorities by either of you immediately after the alleged shooting? It seems strange that one would shoot and kill an unknown hairy biped and then leave it behind. I'm really curious about the thought behind this decision or lack of concern because, if this actually happened and you two are experienced hunters, there would be very little doubt that this was a Bigfoot, right?

The problems I have with this story are:

1) "Hunters" most likely would have collected the body of this unknown creature and brought it to the attention of the authorities or at the very least had the authority respond to the area to review the incident and collect the body. Even a claim of self-defense against an unknown, robust hairy biped would most likely be enough to belay any criminal charges. Both of you would have certainly known, after it was dead, that it was a Bigfoot versus any other animal in the area.

2) Even a regular Joe who happened to blast a BF would at minimum find a way to photograph or take video of the thing. We live in an era where you can hardly even find a cell phone that doesn't have a camera built in, do either of you have a cell phone?

3) Driver, I understand that you were very angry with General after he allegedly shot the two Bigfoots. What prevented you alone from contacting the authorities to report the incident?

I'm pretty open-minded but I'm just trying to understand how and why due diligence was somehow avoided in this incident, by two experienced Hunters.

Guest Crowlogic

Here's a possible reason why this thing has not materialized the way one would expect a genuine incident to have done. What I present now is only a supposition and not a direct accusation against anyone.

Perhaps there was no bigfoot shot. Perhaps the hunk of flesh was that of a known animal. Perhaps Driver/Ketchum/General all know each other. Perhaps it was decided among them to create this story for financial gain. Perhaps one or all of them need the money. Perhaps the lab isn't doing well. Perhaps the lab has in it's possession some odd human DNA. Human DNA odd enough to incorporate into the story we have been presented with.

I offer this because as it goes on we're discovering all the classic signs of something having been created for profit. Things like NDA and now books being written. Forget scientific journal peer review. This thing is IMO about making money by way of conventional media at the very least in the form of a book/books.

However this is only a supposition and if it's not a correct supposition and the story is as being portrayed by the driver/shooter than eventually we all win. If not then it's BF business as usual. I will however suggest that everyone keep taking normal breaths as holding breath until conclusion will most likely be dangerous for the breather.

Guest slimwitless

I'm glad you're speculating as it sure beats the blanket pronouncements we've seen lately. My problem with the "for profit" hoax scenario is that there's no real money to be made unless her paper makes it through peer review (and I don't think odd human DNA can do that).

If this information about the annual revenue of Shelterwood Laboratories (DNA Diagnostics) is correct, I think it would be wiser for Ketchum to stick with what she knows rather than commit career suicide with a bigfoot hoax.