Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

I don't know how the "In the Field" section has gone so long without but allow me to post up a humble beginning. What's your favorite sharp, slicey thing you carry while out and about?

I like the pure utilitarianism of Esee blades, tough, capable, baton-able for splitting should the need arise. Its high carbon steel holds an edge well and it's easy to get razor sharp, though happier with a coat of silicone or oil. Stitched up a sheath for it that carries better than the stock molded kydex in some situations.  The Gerber MKII is an old favorite, though this is a newer rendition. Single purpose but great feel and balance and still made in OR. I prefer the aftermarket leather sheath to the new plastic/cordura that comes with it (made in China but fine) 

49571067588_109837a215_h.jpgR0034748 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

My EDC is a Gerber LST.  It is the largest one w/o a finger grip handle.   Guts everything from trout to elk, picks toenails, trims leader.   Weighs something under 2 ounces.    Under $20.  

I have gone through a significant number of knives.    For hunting now I mostly carry the LST plus a Benchmade Steep Country fixed blade inside my pack along with the Gerber LST in my pocket.    

I have a couple of Cold Steel knives I've carried in the past but mostly they stay in a bag with meat sacks, etc back at the truck now.   One is an SRK (which does see some field time in summer when I am working trail cameras), two others are Master Hunters, one stainless, one carbon steel.   My absolute favorite Cold Steel knife for hunting is the Pendleton Mini Hunter.  It is little and crazy-sharp.    In the past I've carried a Buck General,  a  Buck Special, Gerber LMF, .. hard to remember what else.  

Today a lot that I did with the bigger knives gets done with a machete or hatchet.  I have a couple Gerber hatchets that I like and also a couple of their matchete including a "Golek" and one with a hooked blade.  

Much of my summer activity is in fire season and it is in designated wilderness.   Not much use for batoning when fires are banned.   And I really do try to Tread Lightly when possible, leave it so nobody can see I was there, which means not cutting a bunch of trees or branches unless there's a very good reason.    It's not a bushcrafting exercise.  

Edited by MIB

That Pendleton is a sweet "little" knife. Quite a feat to slice through what looks like 1" manila in a single swipe:

I had the smaller LST eons ago, no-nonsense edc for sure. Then onto a Gerber Mini-Covert which was lifted from my hotel room in India, guy needed it more than I did I suppose. Loved that little knife. Replaced with a much larger CRKT Kasper which was rugged and had dual blade locks, I carried it for years but it gave way to a slimmer Kershaw which is the current edc. 

49572120002_b601b5a1fa_h.jpgR0034756 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

49571382158_7780023e2a_h.jpgR0034759 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

4 minutes ago, norseman said:

Currently jonesing about this one. A Miller bros knife.

Reminds me a bit of this Explorer II behemoth I carried on my pack back in the 80's, fairly decent knife for a hollow handle:

49572203942_e7673e31b7_h.jpgScreen Shot 2020-02-22 at 9.41.16 PM by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

I own a few , Randall , Tops , Gerber  but the one I seem to carry mostly is just a plain Buck fixed blade 6"

I also carry a wicked blade folding saw in my pack just in case . That thing is like a portable mini chain saw .

Yep, a good sharp saw with a curved blade that folds like a pocket knife and cuts on the draw stroke. A Leatherman 300 Supertool in a sheath, an old Marbles clip knife with a blood groove, and a vintage Army machete with its original Army-grade canvas sheath outfitted with a Sheffield steel blade. 

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

That Pendleton is a sweet "little" knife. Quite a feat to slice through what looks like 1" manila in a single swipe:

I had the smaller LST eons ago, no-nonsense edc for sure. Then onto a Gerber Mini-Covert which was lifted from my hotel room in India, guy needed it more than I did I suppose. Loved that little knife. Replaced with a much larger CRKT Kasper which was rugged and had dual blade locks, I carried it for years but it gave way to a slimmer Kershaw which is the current edc. 

49572120002_b601b5a1fa_h.jpgR0034756 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

49571382158_7780023e2a_h.jpgR0034759 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

Reminds me a bit of this Explorer II behemoth I carried on my pack back in the 80's, fairly decent knife for a hollow handle:

49572203942_e7673e31b7_h.jpgScreen Shot 2020-02-22 at 9.41.16 PM by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

I owned one hollow handle survival knife. Was not a fan. I like a full tang.

20 minutes ago, norseman said:

I have the hollow handle Randall #18 survival knife but never put to any real hard use .

I don't know how it would hold up to real hard use. but it feels real solid .  But really you can't beat a full tang if you need to pry something with your knife .

19 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

I have the hollow handle Randall #18 survival knife but never put to any real hard use .

I don't know how it would hold up to real hard use. but it feels real solid .  But really you can't beat a full tang if you need to pry something with your knife .

Randall is good stuff. Mine was a 80 Dollar knock off.

I have more knives than I care to admit.  ESEE, Winkler, Buck, Emerson, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw, Cold Steel, Bark River/Blackjack, Protech, Gerber, Kabar, a handful of customs...you name it.

All said and done, the latest offerings from Cold Steel with their upgraded steel selections are what I am carrying out into the woods right now. Just got the SRK with 3V steel in this week.  I am carrying that on my chest rig.  Either the SR1 or Bush Ranger is in my pocket.  

I had one of my Winklers on the chest rig, but it has sentimental value (as well as being around $400)..so if I lose it in the woods than I will be crushed.

The Cold Steel?  If I drop it somewhere...then a quick order on Amazon will have replacement on its way.  

Usually, I am well served with just a folder in the woods... along with my Leatherman and a folding saw if necessary.  However, running around the woods at night...a decent sized fixed blade gives me an atavistic sort of comfort, even though I carry my 10mm.  

12 hours ago, 7.62 said:

I own a few , Randall , Tops , Gerber  but the one I seem to carry mostly is just a plain Buck fixed blade 6"

I also carry a wicked blade folding saw in my pack just in case . That thing is like a portable mini chain saw .

12 hours ago, hiflier said:

Yep, a good sharp saw with a curved blade that folds like a pocket knife and cuts on the draw stroke. A Leatherman 300 Supertool in a sheath, an old Marbles clip knife with a blood groove, and a vintage Army machete with its original Army-grade canvas sheath outfitted with a Sheffield steel blade. 

Pull stroke saws are where it's at, hard to believe cutting on the push was ever thought to be a good idea.

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have more knives than I care to admit.  ESEE, Winkler, Buck, Emerson, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw, Cold Steel, Bark River/Blackjack, Protech, Gerber, Kabar, a handful of customs...you name it.

All said and done, the latest offerings from Cold Steel with their upgraded steel selections are what I am carrying out into the woods right now. Just got the SRK with 3V steel in this week.  I am carrying that on my chest rig.  Either the SR1 or Bush Ranger is in my pocket.  

I had one of my Winklers on the chest rig, but it has sentimental value (as well as being around $400)..so if I lose it in the woods than I will be crushed.

The Cold Steel?  If I drop it somewhere...then a quick order on Amazon will have replacement on its way.  

Usually, I am well served with just a folder in the woods... along with my Leatherman and a folding saw if necessary.  However, running around the woods at night...a decent sized fixed blade gives me an atavistic sort of comfort, even though I carry my 10mm.  

Yeah, I saw that Winkler! Very nice. True, my little Kershaw folder spans the range from cutting new injector spill rail line to food prep. The Gerber MKII is purely atavistic baggage until...

12 hours ago, norseman said:

No doubt it's a silly concept.

• gigantor featured this topic
1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

No doubt it's a silly concept.

Really any kind of small item survival gear is best carried in a small pouch in your pack .:D

Unless you have to break out of a small town sheriffs dept and you only have enough time to  grab the survival knife they confiscated from you. 

icon_smile_shock.gif

• Like 1

I wish I could say I spent lots of time researching and finding the best value I could, but the truth is that I found this in a rental car in Arkansas. I'm guessing whoever left it behind is not happy it's gone.

Buck Knife.jpg

• Like 1

20200223_164242.thumb.jpg.e1d41b5640a5dce0e43bb32b712548dc.jpg

I love knives. A lot. Most of these have been with me for years. Most, I have carried regularly, the exception is the third to last one (the Rocco Chicarilli) , because it's just too pretty. I have dozens more, but these are the ones that get the most use.

From top to bottom:

Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works Combat Bowie.

Buck 119.

Cold Steel Tanto

Rocco Chicarilli custom made, with a left handed horsehide sheath

David Kurt handmade RN tactical

TOPS Ferret neck knife

Not pictured is my Benchmade 710 McHenry & Williams folder that I have had and EDC carried for about 25 years now. I love the axis lock on it, because it can be used by a southpaw, and the clip can be reversed. 

And I also carry a Cold Steel Bowie Spike knife which I have lashed upside down with paracord to the shoulder strap of my pack. 

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic