Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

I'm a fan of ESEE and carry two knives when out in the woods. One is a neck knive, the IZULA. It is on a lanyard and can be accessed instantly. The other is an ESEE4. Great all around knife for survival purposes. 

I've been looking for a large knife although I don't find them as nearly as practical for every-day use in the backcountry.  My 4" ESEE batons wood nicely.  TOPS has several large knives I've been looking at.

Having enough choils, especially in the right place for your hand size, along with an adequate amount of upward-sloping jimping makes all the difference in comfort and control when bearing down on it.

Also, don't forget to make sure is the knife is legal in your state. 

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a half dozen Moraknivs, a Kershaw folding knife that I've  misplaced currently, and this lovely CRKT hatchet.

I'm looking to get a leuko knife like this one soon. I'm also in the market for a neck knife and I'd really like that replica knife based on Otzi the Iceman.

https://sportantiques.co.uk/large-sami-leuku-knife

I also have a little $6 Csbelas multitool knife that I like a lot. The saw blade works awesome with my ferro rod.

20191224_200517.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Like 1

The SRK in 3V is an amazing blade.  I had kind of moved away from more modern knives over the past few years, and I found myself gravitating more towards traditional knives like Winkler, Buck, and some custom makers like Efros and Eisenberg.

However, the SRK is bombproof...and the handle gives an absolutely fantastic grip in wet conditions.  I bought it on a whim and am a huge fan now. The securex sheath that comes with it lashed well to the front of my HPG chest rig.  I will probably just leave it on there and use my ESEE 5 if and when I need a knife on my hip.  

16 hours ago, NorthWind said:

20200223_164242.thumb.jpg.e1d41b5640a5dce0e43bb32b712548dc.jpg

I love knives. A lot. Most of these have been with me for years. Most, I have carried regularly, the exception is the third to last one (the Rocco Chicarilli) , because it's just too pretty. I have dozens more, but these are the ones that get the most use.

From top to bottom:

Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works Combat Bowie.

Buck 119.

Cold Steel Tanto

Rocco Chicarilli custom made, with a left handed horsehide sheath

David Kurt handmade RN tactical

TOPS Ferret neck knife

Not pictured is my Benchmade 710 McHenry & Williams folder that I have had and EDC carried for about 25 years now. I love the axis lock on it, because it can be used by a southpaw, and the clip can be reversed. 

And I also carry a Cold Steel Bowie Spike knife which I have lashed upside down with paracord to the shoulder strap of my pack. 

@NorthWind

How do you like that Mineral Mountain?  I have almost pulled the trigger on one of their recurved models a time or two.

@BlackRockBigfoot The MM is quite heavy. The micarta scales are very slick when wet (it's almost always wet here in Oregon), which is why I wrapped it with paracord. The stock is very thick (I want to say 1/4"), bombproof. Works great for firewood. And at 17", a quite intimidating piece of badassery. It's almost a short sword. I wouldn't recommend it for EDC, but works great for a camp knife / chopper. My buddy got the MM tapered tang fighter, and seems to love it. 

• Upvote 1

Forgot to add in my older lock-blade Kabar 1189. Back in the early 70's I had one of the early numbered Puma Bowies with the bone handle. Lost it about ten years later which has never sat well with me. 

@NorthWind

I was working in a cutlery shop when the original Cold Steel Tantos arrived on the scene. Somewhere in their advertising they could be seen puncturing through car doors, because that happens a lot....But what a piece of work. Should have bought one back then, it was a unique, robust blade on the scene. 

@hiflier Same goes for those Pumas, I recall we had a boxed hunting set in a plush red felt? lined box I think. German make, with an antler handle. Is that the Bowie you had? I'm sure sorry for your loss--ouch, I looked for one a while back, should have bought a dozen as an investment--spendy!

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

@NorthWind

I was working in a cutlery shop when the original Cold Steel Tantos arrived on the scene. Somewhere in their advertising they could be seen puncturing through car doors, because that happens a lot....But what a piece of work. Should have bought one back then, it was a unique, robust blade on the scene. 

Yup, what's when I got mine. I saw the ad that was the knife in a reverse grip, I believe, coming down on a cheating poker hand, and had to have it! It's been a great blade over the years. Even butchered a cow and a couple of moose with it. The handle made for a nice non-slip grip, and is still in great shape.

And I always wanted one of those Puma White Hunters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthWind said:

And I always wanted one of those Puma White Hunters.

Could be yours, new, old stock pre-1964 for a mere $1375 on that auction site...

25 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Is that the Bowie you had?

Yep, the Bowie. Had a stag grip and a sheath with an embossed stag in the leather. It was cool, razor sharp high carbon, and had a leather thong that looped through a hole in the grip for security. Needless to say the knife AND sheath went missing. Replacing it today would carry a fairly hefty ouch factor.

The Ontario Knife Co Spec plus 8 "machete" rides in the front of the truck. 1/4" thick 1075 HC blade, Made in the states. Not as efficient as a hatchet, not as functional as a machete but it does mark fallen trees well, primarily what I use it for-- creating blazes while bushwhacking. I've chopped through a 7" diameter balsam fir that was across a two-track with it when I didn't feel like digging out the saw--which would have been easier but it's a solid blade that does  a few jobs well. I see the new ones don't come with nearly as nice a sheath. Maybe one could grate Parmigiano-Reggiano with those serrations (if you could actually find it) but I don't know what other good they would do.

49581695472_56f7a25c03_h.jpg_27P6352 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

Would NOT want to be on the business end of that baby. Lewis and Clark had a lot of good things to say about their espontoons. A kind of half pike about six feet long with a foot-long spear point. Revolutionary War militia were required to be outfitted with them at Valley Forge.

Espontoons.jpg.eecf47b87a568c6fdbd06dd6f26834f9.jpg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic