Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

On 4/20/2020 at 9:02 AM, wiiawiwb said:

Wow, Madison, those are beautiful handles.  How are they when you work with the knives? Are they slippery at all?

Over 25 years ago, I had a woods knife that had a rubberized handle. My hand stuck to it so that even in the rain, there was no slippage. It wasn't attractive looking but my hand was not moving. If I knew where to go, I'd have the micarta handle removed from my ESEE and replaced with that sticky rubberized handle I remember so well.

@wiiawiwb

If you ever get a hankering for rubber handles for your ESEE, look at some of the custom knife makers on Bladeforums who work with rubber horse mats for knife handles.  They could probably re-handle your knife for a cheaper price than you would expect.

One of my Winklers has a rubber handle which is made out of horse mat.  It gives a great grip.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

I've only had the opportunity to use my new knife in the kitchen lately, but it doesn't seen to be slippery. Sure is sharp and pretty though. I think I'm going bigfooting on Sunday finally, maybe I'll get to use it. I'll certainly carry it!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally broke down and got myself my first ESEE. I have not had it out in the field yet, but I LOVE the way it feels in my hand, and the sheath can be configured for a lefty like me. I really love the handle scales, they feel just right, and textured to make them grippy. Hope to take it out this coming weekend if all goes well.

20200521_083115.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I finally broke down and got myself my first ESEE. I have not had it out in the field yet, but I LOVE the way it feels in my hand, and the sheath can be configured for a lefty like me. I really love the handle scales, they feel just right, and textured to make them grippy. Hope to take it out this coming weekend if all goes well.

20200521_083115.jpg

I like the blue scales.  I have some aftermarket scales for my ESEE 5 that are contoured and much more comfortable than the original handle.

That a gorgeous knife Northwind. The handle is spectacular. I have an ESEE 4, as well, along with an IZULA neck knife both in green. The 4 has an orange micarta handle and the IZULA an orange paracord handle.

When I unboxed the ESEE 4 and touched the blade, it was the sharpest knife I had ever felt. I find the choil allows you to choke up on the ESEE 4 for doing fine work and the jimping on top keeps your thumb from moving as you're doing that work.

Congratulations and many years of enjoyment with it.

4p-od.jpgesee-izula-od-green-w-sheath-34.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb

Thanks, @wiiawiwb and @BlackRockBigfootyes, it came hair popping sharp right out of the box. Sharpest factory knife I had ever encountered. Sharp is sexxxxxxy. I bought a left handed leather sheath for it, too, thinking I wouldn't like the plastic one. But I don't mind it at all. I can say that overall, before actually using it in the field, I am very impressed with the quality.

Next up, some nightvision IR binoculars...nothing fancy. They should be here in June sometime, depending on the virus and shipping times. After that, IDK...maybe a game cam or two. 

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

Thanks, @wiiawiwb and @BlackRockBigfootyes, it came hair popping sharp right out of the box. Sharpest factory knife I had ever encountered. Sharp is sexxxxxxy. I bought a left handed leather sheath for it, too, thinking I wouldn't like the plastic one. But I don't mind it at all. I can say that overall, before actually using it in the field, I am very impressed with the quality.

Next up, some nightvision IR binoculars...nothing fancy. They should be here in June sometime, depending on the virus and shipping times. After that, IDK...maybe a game cam or two. 

What type of IR binoculars did you get?

14 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What type of IR binoculars did you get?

eBay specials, from the great country of China, where all kinds of wonderful things come from. No name brand that I can tell. 

55 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

eBay specials, from the great country of China, where all kinds of wonderful things come from. No name brand that I can tell. 

Mind messaging me the link?

10 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Mind messaging.....

Shouldn't any "mind messaging" go into the paranormal section? ;) 

Edited by hiflier
  • Haha 2

Good price :) The only thing would be the site says it has a 10 degree FOV which is pretty narrow but at 200-300m that field would be quite wide. The viewing distance is pretty impressive though. I think mine is only half to a third of that @ 100m. Mine takes only four AA batteries but then they power it for 4 hrs. compared to your 6. Nice find, NW, and I'll be interested to see how well it does.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Shouldn't any "mind messaging" go into the paranormal section? ;) 

Well done...

On 5/21/2020 at 11:39 AM, NorthWind said:

Can't go wrong with an Esee NW. They do indeed arrive shaving sharp and I've found the edge easy to keep that way. Good luck with it. 

• Upvote 1