Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

6 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Well done...

LOL, well, even I need some fun sometimes. I looked over NW's link and I think he's picking up a good tool for the BF trade.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, hiflier said:

LOL, well, even I need some fun sometimes. I looked over NW's link and I think he's picking up a good tool for the BF trade.

Thanks, and that WAS funny as all get out, BTW.

It will be easy to keep your ESEE knife sharpened with the right equipment at home.  It's more of a challenge to keep it sharp in the field. When you stay over in the woods, it is easy to lose the razor's edge as you create a feather stick, chop or baton wood.

I bring a leather strop when I'm in the woods. I have two strops with leather on each side and use four different compounds. The simple truth is I use two compounds (green and red) on one strop most of the time and the other strop (black and white compounds) used when the edge starts to lose it sharpness from continual hard use. 

You may want to take a look at a leather strop as you can keep a razor edge on it while out in the field. The strop is very light as well so you're carrying very little weight. This is the one that I bought years ago. The owner, The Strop Man, passed away but friends of his now own the business and keep up his good work.

https://stropman.com/main.sc

• Upvote 1

Working in a knife shop when I was 16-17, i picked up a crock sticks sharpener and still have it 30 some years later. It's the only method I've used since. Requires near zero skill, I mildly regret I was spoiled with it so early. I'm sure stropping will get a finer edge but shaving the hair off of my arm sharp is all I've needed .   While away from home for a year or so I picked up a compact, self contained version that works well to:

https://lansky.com/index.php/products/4-rod-turn-box/

I like the crock style sticks, too. I have a Spyderco TriAngle Sharpmaker and it works great. 

One type I will never use again is this Lansky system, or anything like it: https://lansky.com/index.php/products/std-3-stone-system/

because the angle is fine towards the clamp, but as you extent the stone down the blade, the angle totally changes and narrows severly.  Stupid system. I almost ruined one of my good benchmade knives with it. Now I just avoid them, so my knives never get "Lansky-ized".

23 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

It will be easy to keep your ESEE knife sharpened with the right equipment at home.  It's more of a challenge to keep it sharp in the field. When you stay over in the woods, it is easy to lose the razor's edge as you create a feather stick, chop or baton wood.

I bring a leather strop when I'm in the woods. I have two strops with leather on each side and use four different compounds. The simple truth is I use two compounds (green and red) on one strop most of the time and the other strop (black and white compounds) used when the edge starts to lose it sharpness from continual hard use. 

You may want to take a look at a leather strop as you can keep a razor edge on it while out in the field. The strop is very light as well so you're carrying very little weight. This is the one that I bought years ago. The owner, The Strop Man, passed away but friends of his now own the business and keep up his good work.

https://stropman.com/main.sc

I was looking at the Work Sharp Field Sharpener...

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Guided-Field-Sharpener/dp/B009YKHZ96/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=field+strop&qid=1590795214&sr=8-4

41ZSJRGVV6L._AC_SY400_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

On my belt when going deeper in the woods is my Glock G29 and Ontario Rat 5 in a custom kydex sheath.  I found a very good cheap Chinese knock-off of the ESEE 3 that I use as a back up in my pack.  I skinned a deer alongside my dad a couple of years ago with it and his knife dulled quickly, so I handed it to him and he was so impressed, I bought him own.  They were like $18 on Amazon.  Now I think they are so popular they are up to around $24 last I checked.

h507crW9R7q5R8CE234P0g.jpg

I4xYNiyURRexwU-VJCQv7w.jpg

The Ontario Rat is an excellent bushcraft knife as is ESEE. I wear an IZULA on my neck whenever I enter the woods. I also have an ESEE-4 that is crazy sharp and easy to maintain its sharpness.

The day my ESEE-4 arrived I wanted to test its sharpness by slicing photocopy paper. I ended cutting my finger so badly I almost had to go to the emergency room.  It is razor sharp!

On 5/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Looks like it has everything you need and is well rated by users. I'd probably get a fine stropping compound (red) for use with the leather strop.

Edited by wiiawiwb

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 11:05 AM, hiflier said:

Good price :) The only thing would be the site says it has a 10 degree FOV which is pretty narrow but at 200-300m that field would be quite wide. The viewing distance is pretty impressive though. I think mine is only half to a third of that @ 100m. Mine takes only four AA batteries but then they power it for 4 hrs. compared to your 6. Nice find, NW, and I'll be interested to see how well it does.

FINALLY received these. They were on a slow boat from China. I was getting kind of worried, I thought maybe they caught the corona and were in some hospital somewhere. Anyway, I took them out in the back yard, and could easily see treetops in the park which are over  hundred yards away, as well as being able to see everything clearly closer in than that. No humanly visible light emitted save for the viewing display, which is quite bright. I may cut a piece of red gel to soften that light a bit and save my eyes' natural night vision. But they seemed to record and zoom in and out well, considering the price. I Still need to take them out to the field, though, for better and more in depth testing. Sorry to pollute the knife thread with this.  A good 4th of July weekend to all.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

FINALLY received these. They were on a slow boat from China. I was getting kind of worried, I thought maybe they caught the corona and were in some hospital somewhere. Anyway, I took them out in the back yard, and could easily see treetops in the park which are over  hundred yards away, as well as being able to see everything clearly closer in than that. No humanly visible light emitted save for the viewing display, which is quite bright. I may cut a piece of red gel to soften that light a bit and save my eyes' natural night vision. But they seemed to record and zoom in and out well, considering the price. I Still need to take them out to the field, though, for better and more in depth testing. Sorry to pollute the knife thread with this.  A good 4th of July weekend to all

Post up some pics of the binoculars and a few stills of the night vision footage if you get a chance.  These look cool.

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

I may cut a piece of red gel to soften that light a bit and save my eyes' natural night vision

I took a small piece of exposed film leader from a strip of negatives and cut a circle, took off the rubber eyepiece and stuck it in behind the rubber for the same reason. Works great and does save my night vision since there is no way to dim the internal display like you can with the FLIR TK.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...