Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

8 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Both of those stories involved the sasquatches being shot at before they attempted to hurt the humans.

It's my experience that bears can be extremely cunning, sly, sneaky, and calculating. They are professional hunters, and they're good af it. My suspicion is that cougars are too, especially since I have yet to see one in the wild.

You mean.......like Mrs. Huntster has kept me? Yeah, that prospect is terrifying!

True. But there are other stories and Indian legends that the Squatch show premeditated actions against humans. 

It’s my experience that Bears have an attention span of a gnat. If I call too loud or often I can scare away coyotes and bobcats. Never a Bear. But if I don’t call often enough the Bear gets distracted and does something else. Never called in a Cougar but I’ve had them hunt me. Their tracks in mine. We used to hunt them with dogs. But now it’s hit and miss.  But I think Squatch is on a whole other level. Bears and Cougar are opportunistic but I think a Squatch could start a 20 mile journey knowing exactly what it’s gonna do before it gets there.

I thought you liked the idea of being carried off by a she Squatch!!! 😜

Just thought of the Ostman story....

That Squatch stumbled upon his camp, concocted a scheme to kidnap him (Ostman thought it was for his daughter) and then carried out its plan some nights later. The blind canyon the Squatch family was living in was quite some ways from Ostmans camp. And yet night after night that Squatch walked back and cased the camp. Until it acted out it’s plan.

No Bear or Cougar shows that level of premeditation. That’s very human like.

19 minutes ago, norseman said:

True. But there are other stories and Indian legends that the Squatch show premeditated actions against humans........

I have to admit that there is no threat of bears or lions kidnapping people. I also note that the only stories that I know of where the human escaped such an abduction were bupy adult men. Despite the recurring aboriginal legends of women and children being the main targets, they don't seem to escape to talk about it. Oh, maybe there was one in Canada I read of recently where an aboriginal woman escaped after some months or years.

.......I thought you liked the idea of being carried off by a she Squatch!!! 😜

Yeah, only a she, and she has to be as beautiful as Patty........B I G, too, so she can keep me warm out there.😘

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Other than Harry and the Hendersons which is kind of old and not really part of social culture anymore except by dingbats on Facebook who didn't get the memo, what Hollywood versions of Bigfoot has it as a gentle vegetarian? I'm not even sure Harry was vegetarian it's been so long ago I saw it.

Well, the prevailing attitude of the BFRO has to have come from somewhere.  And it ain't from the eye witness reports and Native American legends. 

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Just thought of the Ostman story....

That Squatch stumbled upon his camp, concocted a scheme to kidnap him (Ostman thought it was for his daughter) and then carried out its plan some nights later. The blind canyon the Squatch family was living in was quite some ways from Ostmans camp. And yet night after night that Squatch walked back and cased the camp. Until it acted out it’s plan.

No Bear or Cougar shows that level of premeditation. That’s very human like.

Agreed.  Primates are very intelligent.  Chimpanzee clans even go to war with one another.  I recently read an account of an alleged war from the mid-19th century between a Native American tribe in Oklahoma (I can't recall which tribe) and a clan of hairy Sasquatch-like creatures.  I will see if I can find a link.

5 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Well, the prevailing attitude of the BFRO has to have come from somewhere.  And it ain't from the eye witness reports and Native American legends. 

The BFRO does not get it's ideas from Hollywood. Never has. Though, this is another opportunity to point out that Matt Moneymaker considered himself an LA shmoozer and had the yellow hair dye job to show for it.

6 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Agreed.  Primates are very intelligent.  Chimpanzee clans even go to war with one another.  I recently read an account of an alleged war from the mid-19th century between a Native American tribe in Oklahoma (I can't recall which tribe) and a clan of hairy Sasquatch-like creatures.  I will see if I can find a link.

The Leflore County Bigfoot War.

The Choctaw fought them over predation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

The BFRO does not get it's ideas from Hollywood. Never has. Though, this is another opportunity to point out that Matt Moneymaker considered himself an LA shmoozer and had the yellow hair dye job to show for it.

Yeah, definitely.  Matt "Shake That" Moneymaker has always been more of a showman than a serious researcher IMO.  But he has helped to popularize the subject and he created the largest online database of sighting reports.  So we still have to give him some credit. 

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

The Leflore County Bigfoot War.

The Choctaw fought them over predation.

Ah yes, now I remember.  Thank you.  

As long as this thread is blown to pieces, I'll add that "Moneymaker" is an English translation of a German surname. Probably a middle ages thing when a human stamped coins. So there is no truth to the myth that he changed his name because he fleeced Wally Hersom and Animal Planet.

And yes, I give Matt credit for misinterpreting his legacy of red bull-addicited shnook to qualifyi him as a member of LA high society. 

Edited by Arvedis

12 hours ago, Huntster said:

Just because this story disturbs me so much........:

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/06/16/authorities-search-hiker-after-she-reported-being-charged-by-bears/

The Pioneer Ridge Trail is literally a binocular's view from my bedroom window. It has a long, well deserved reputation as being a great place to go if you want bear trouble. This story is familiarly building into yet another where the victim will either never be found, or she'll be found in pieces in a shallow grave dug by what will look like a bulldozer........

Great news!

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/06/16/search-continues-second-day-missing-palmer-hiker/

Troopers say missing Palmer hiker has been found alive........

.........‘I would just have to say that she is a remarkable lady that’s in very good shape and is very capable of taking care of herself.’........

........"We know from two days of searching up there that there are lots of bears on the area,” Laxson said in a Wednesday night interview.

That information came from reports from locals and from the sightings from helicopters during the search.

Laxson relayed details from Kiefer about her experience.

“She ran into many of these bears on or near the trail that were, I don’t want to say aggressive, but threatening,” he said.

The bears continually pushed Kiefer off the trail, Laxson said. It was during one of these encounters that Kiefer was not able to find her way back onto the trail. At that point, Laxson said, the only way out was to move downhill.

“And she spent two days wading through brush,” he said.........

• Thanks 1

That is fantastic news given she had been charged by bears and had discharged her bear spray.  I'm everyone feared the likelihood of her surviving were slim.

15 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

It's called profit motive, money over actual research

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

...........I'm everyone feared the likelihood of her surviving were slim.

Yeah, the situation looked like it was headed to disaster. There were numerous details about this event that I found noteworthy:

> The numerous bears on that trail now have a solid reputation of testing women who hike it. They are almost certainly mature black bear boars. The slopes above the south bank of the Knik River have a very high concentration of black bears along its entire length.

> There are now multiple non-profit search and rescue organizations  (at least in the Mat-Su area) who the Alaska State Troopers are coordinating with, and they're on the job quickly. This includes cadaver trained dogs, but the article didn't reveal whether it included aircraft (the Air National Guard and Troopers air assets were mentioned). This is very welcome and interesting news to me. I'd love to learn more about their lines of funding and the history of their origin. 

> The harassment by multiple bears is really disturbing if these were not a grizzly sow with older cubs. This area is not going to get hunted. It is a very steep trail, so any bears taken are only after hiking up one or two thousand feet in elevation, then carrying the meat and carcass out on your back. Most black bear hunters aren't willing to work that hard for a bear. 

> Previous reported bear encounters on that trail were all reported by women. A pair of twin high school girls whose return from that trail prompted a search several years ago also involved multiple fearless and threatening bears, both by the twins and by searchers.

> I had a very close encounter with a black bear on those slopes several miles upstream some 35 or so years ago. The bear was not threatening. It was a surprise encounter at a range of just 6'. I did fire an unarmed round above the bear purely out of reaction.