Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

> The numerous bears on that trail now have a solid reputation of testing women who hike it. They are almost certainly mature black bear boars. The slopes above the south bank of the Knik River have a very high concentration of black bears along its entire length.

I may have missed this, but they are predominantly targeting women?

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

There are now multiple non-profit search and rescue organizations  (at least in the Mat-Su area) who the Alaska State Troopers are coordinating with, and they're on the job quickly. This includes cadaver trained dogs, but the article didn't reveal whether it included aircraft (the Air National Guard and Troopers air assets were mentioned). This is very welcome and interesting news to me. I'd love to learn more about their lines of funding and the history of their origin

I don’t know how it is in Alaska, but in this area there is quite a lot on interest in volunteer search and rescue.  A community college up in western North Carolina has a very respected SAR course that some nationally known survival/SAR guys help out with instruction.  There has been a real increase in folks privately training their dogs to be accredited assist with search efforts.  It’s almost trendy to be involved in SAR efforts in some circles.  Not a bad trend, as far as trends go.

I would assume that it takes a lot of dedication and expense to do this privately in Alaska.  Good for those folks.

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I may have missed this, but they are predominantly targeting women?.......

I'm becoming convinced of it. All the fatal or horrible black bear attacks I can think of here in Alaska over the past 30 years or so have been on women or teenaged boys. Admittedly, this might mean that the targeting/attacks might be based more on the victims size and response than gender. This isn't to mean that a mature black bear boar won't test/harass a grown man. They will. I had one harassing me once, but I'm sure he was after my dog, not me. My brother-in-law, a prospector who spends lots of time alone in the Bush, had a big black bear boar who he eventually had to kill because the damned thing was getting downright sneaky and calculating in its stalking.

.......I don’t know how it is in Alaska, but in this area the is quite a lot on interest in volunteer search and rescue......

This is new to me. SAR has been an official thing here forever involving both state and federal agencies with private air ambulance helicopters getting in on the action in at least the 1990's. I'm sure that in the more remote areas, it's still primarily the Troopers, Civil Air Patrol, and Air National Guard, but closer in, this is a wonderful asset for the agencies to utilize. This case shows that they deploy quickly and coordinate well. 

• 1 month later...
BFF Patron

Ahhhh....those were the good ole days, bear hides and boot sniff'in..

sykessmeja.jpg.c3d3e971477696cbee1543369f75bf7b.jpg

On 7/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, Foxhill said:

Ahhhh....those were the good ole days, bear hides and boot sniff'in..

sykessmeja.jpg.c3d3e971477696cbee1543369f75bf7b.jpg

With the British involved, Justin and the story never stood a chance. 

That could be Bart Cutino in the blue shirt. He organized follow up expeditions to the area. A lot of time and effort in the field and he ended up capturing some compelling thermal images. Same as other thermals where you can clearly see movement between the trees but cannot define it. We know what it is though but it is microseconds and grainy of course.  It does prove, however that there was activity in the area.

BFF Patron
16 hours ago, Arvedis said:

With the British involved, Justin and the story never stood a chance. 

That could be Bart Cutino in the blue shirt. He organized follow up expeditions to the area. A lot of time and effort in the field and he ended up capturing some compelling thermal images. Same as other thermals where you can clearly see movement between the trees but cannot define it. We know what it is though but it is microseconds and grainy of course.  It does prove, however that there was activity in the area.

It is Bart......pretty sure he caught a bird/large bug flying by (I know it was at night} the figure was most likely Justin getting up to take a piss, so yes critters and people move around at night. :thumbsup:

Edited by Foxhill
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Foxhill said:

It is Bart......pretty sure he caught a bird/large bug flying by (I know it was at night} the figure was most likely Justin getting up to take a ****, so yes critters and people move around at night. :thumbsup:

You know that's not true.  All thermals are inconclusive in the same way.  It's not evidence. It's mildly interesting but goes nowhere. In this case, it's the only follow up investigation that shows there could be BFs in the area.  If you don't want to acknowledge it, that's your biz but your counter is lame.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BFF Patron
1 minute ago, Arvedis said:

You know that's not true.  All thermals are inconclusive in the same way.  It's not evidence. It's mildly interesting but goes nowhere. In this case, it's the only follow up investigation that shows there could be BFs in the area.  If you don't want to acknowledge it, that's your biz but your counter is lame.

I'm positive I'm correct, call it what will, believe what you want, you will eventually realize I'm always right ......carry on!! :rock:

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Foxhill said:

I'm positive I'm correct, call it what will, believe what you want, you will eventually realize I'm always right ......carry on!! :rock:

You are certain that Bart's thermal is Justin taking a leak?  That wouldn't even qualify for a newbie commenter on FB.  Is that seriously the best you can do? Of course you wouldn't have something to offer the thread that is legit. It's just more of your trolling. Carry on lamer. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, hiflier said:

"lamer"? Name calling now? Tsk, tsk.

It's true, I meant it in a condescending manner. But not as name calling, more as a definition of the individual.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

It's true, I meant it in a condescending manner. But not as name calling, more as a definition of the individual.

Aw, c'mon, that's not gonna fly. Can't blame you for tryin' though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1