Radio Interview with Albert Ostman

MikeZimmer

7 hours ago, norseman said:

The time and distance involved I think negates any homo sapien taking Dennis Martin.

The family reported it was a bear.

The father once he realized his son was no longer in the meadow ran the trail back to the parking. When asked if someone packing his son to that parking lot could have beat him there? He said no way.

I'll have to read through the report again but we are assuming a kidnappers vehicle was at the parking lot in that case, maybe they could have parked up closer or a different area so as not to be spotted, maybe they didn't take him to a vehicle etc. There's so many, many things that could have happened that ascribing the disappearance to a cryptid animal would be almost a last resort. Now, obviously not saying that didn't happen, but we have to consider a massive glut of other explanations first. Once it's all sifted through If the evidence leads to sasquatch then you have to consider that possibility. 

6 hours ago, norseman said:

Ostman was German. So it may very well be true he hadn’t heard the stories....

Also what I find credible about Ostman is he described the Bigfoot male genitalia to be “like a stallion”. Apes other than humans indeed have a baculum. I’m not positive what a logger would have known about great apes in the 1920’s but I doubt it was much.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-humans-have-no-penis-bone/

Good find!  I highly doubt a logger would have known much of anything about great apes during the 1920s.  Most people hadn't seen a gorilla in those days as the mountain gorilla was only recently discovered in 1902 and wasn't common in zoos until decades later.  Unless of course the guy's hobby was studying apes, which I'm not sure would have been a common interest for an early 20th century logger/prospector.

Most people in the Pacific Northwest were familiar with wildman folklore, but as I mentioned above, familiarity with wildman folklore doesn't necessarily equate to accurate knowledge of Sasquatch anatomy.  John Green even mentioned an old high school year book from British Columbia which depicted Sasquatches as large yet otherwise normal looking men with long hair on their heads.  They were not depicted with ape-like characteristics nor were they seen as covered with body hair.  Most considered Sasquatches to be another Indian tribe, albeit of gigantic stature.  Indeed, the only people familiar with their accurate appearance would likely have been those who had sightings, or Native Americans who were familiar with the species through local tradition. 

• Upvote 2

SSR Team
On 4/27/2021 at 10:33 AM, Moonface said:

Does anybody here actually believe him?

I don't 'believe' every word that's said as for example, after extensive research that was shared on BFF 1.0 a few years back, i'm of the opinion that he got his inlets and even mountains mixed up and possibly even exaggerated a few things, but i'm all good that he had a pretty unique experience with our subject, no danger. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Celtic Raider said:

I'll have to read through the report again but we are assuming a kidnappers vehicle was at the parking lot in that case, maybe they could have parked up closer or a different area so as not to be spotted, maybe they didn't take him to a vehicle etc. There's so many, many things that could have happened that ascribing the disappearance to a cryptid animal would be almost a last resort. Now, obviously not saying that didn't happen, but we have to consider a massive glut of other explanations first. Once it's all sifted through If the evidence leads to sasquatch then you have to consider that possibility. 

There wasn't any other place to park.

So either it was a feral man in a fur coat or it was BF. Because bears don't have shoulders and dont travserse steep terrain on two legs packing something.

And if it was a feral man? He packed Dennis Martin farther and faster than any man alive. They found his shoe in the vicinity of the “bear sighting”.

We don't know what took Dennis Martin. Your right. Thats how the 411 books go. Super strange disappearances. But a giant Hominid that COULD pack a human over rough terrain fast, makes a heap of sense in alot of em...

23 minutes ago, norseman said:

There wasn't any other place to park.

So either it was a feral man in a fur coat or it was BF. Because bears don't have shoulders and dont travserse steep terrain on two legs packing something.

And if it was a feral man? He packed Dennis Martin farther and faster than any man alive. They found his shoe in the vicinity of the “bear sighting”.

We don't know what took Dennis Martin. Your right. Thats how the 411 books go. Super strange disappearances. But a giant Hominid that COULD pack a human over rough terrain fast, makes a heap of sense in alot of em...

As Sherlock Holmes says, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

Very strange indeed, I agree with that! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twist said:

Where is the history and accounts of the Europeans engaging with Sasquatch? Why dont we have more stories or even one body?   To change the way Sasquatch acted and lived would seemingly be due to a lot of interaction with the new settlers.   

Historical accounts?

Check out the work of Timothy Renner and Chad Arment.  They detail early American reports of wild men and gorillas in the woods...sightings of which that often resulted in armed posses going into the woods in pursuit.  Most of these reports are from the late 18th/early 19th century, so it looks like there was a period where the Sasquatch were not as predatory but were still more visible than today.  Kind of a learning curve...

Also,

A) If these creatures are as intelligent as many suspect, they might well have hung back and observed the white man when he showed up on the scene.  It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that these new comers carried powerful weapons that could kill at a distance and that the balance of power had irrevocably changed.

B) Folklore, legend,  verbal histories are like the fossil record...incomplete.  Plenty of accounts survived to modern day, but who knows what all has been lost over time.  There could be a couple of accounts of Sasquatch being shot where said accounts were lost and forgotten.

Now, add disease to the equation.  There is a theory that smallpox may have ravaged the Sasquatch population along with the Native Americans.  New comers show up on your continent with sticks that shoot thunder and lightning...and now members of your group are dropping like flies from a previously unknown ailment.  It’s enough to make a Bigfoot give up his life of snatching women by the riverside and retreat deeper into the wilderness.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Historical accounts?

Check out the work of Timothy Renner and Chad Arment.  They detail early American reports of wild men and gorillas in the woods...sightings of which that often resulted in armed posses going into the woods in pursuit.  Most of these reports are from the late 18th/early 19th century, so it looks like there was a period where the Sasquatch were not as predatory but were still more visible than today.  Kind of a learning curve...

Also,

A) If these creatures are as intelligent as many suspect, they might well have hung back and observed the white man when he showed up on the scene.  It wouldn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that these new comers carried powerful weapons that could kill at a distance and that the balance of power had irrevocably changed.

B) Folklore, legend,  verbal histories are like the fossil record...incomplete.  Plenty of accounts survived to modern day, but who knows what all has been lost over time.  There could be a couple of accounts of Sasquatch being shot where said accounts were lost and forgotten.

Now, add disease to the equation.  There is a theory that smallpox may have ravaged the Sasquatch population along with the Native Americans.  New comers show up on your continent with sticks that shoot thunder and lightning...and now members of your group are dropping like flies from a previously unknown ailment.  It’s enough to make a Bigfoot give up his life of snatching women by the riverside and retreat deeper into the wilderness.

My favorite account is the Bauman story. Down by where I used to pack mules!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, norseman said:

The time and distance involved I think negates any homo sapien taking Dennis Martin.

The family reported it was a bear.

The father once he realized his son was no longer in the meadow ran the trail back to the parking. When asked if someone packing his son to that parking lot could have beat him there? He said no way.

Just read through a couple reports on the Dennis Martin case that I'd not seen before. Seems like the family were camping in an open meadow or field just off a common and well used trail and after Dennis went missing the search party actually found foot prints, with one foot being bare. At the time they were for some reason discounted but they later found one child's shoe. The footprints led down to a river or stream and it was noted that during the evening a storm came in hampering the search efforts and washing out roads and trails. 

Now, that obviously suggests a young child was wandering down to the stream and it's not much of a leap to suggest he may have been suffering from exposure or running from a bear terrified and washed away in the storm maybe if the river or stream was flooded. 

The witnesses are unclear really, one guy who heard a scream also saw who he though was an unkempt moonshiner going up the trail...... Other reports include mention of a bear and one mentioned the red jacket but there seems to be some inconsistency there.

Seems most likely to me he could have gotten lost or encountered a bear and ran away terrified both resulting in exposure and maybe the body washing down stream afterwards or he was abducted by the 'moonshiner'. 

24 minutes ago, Celtic Raider said:

Just read through a couple reports on the Dennis Martin case that I'd not seen before. Seems like the family were camping in an open meadow or field just off a common and well used trail and after Dennis went missing the search party actually found foot prints, with one foot being bare. At the time they were for some reason discounted but they later found one child's shoe. The footprints led down to a river or stream and it was noted that during the evening a storm came in hampering the search efforts and washing out roads and trails. 

Now, that obviously suggests a young child was wandering down to the stream and it's not much of a leap to suggest he may have been suffering from exposure or running from a bear terrified and washed away in the storm maybe if the river or stream was flooded. 

The witnesses are unclear really, one guy who heard a scream also saw who he though was an unkempt moonshiner going up the trail...... Other reports include mention of a bear and one mentioned the red jacket but there seems to be some inconsistency there.

Seems most likely to me he could have gotten lost or encountered a bear and ran away terrified both resulting in exposure and maybe the body washing down stream afterwards or he was abducted by the 'moonshiner'. 

It might be true that there is some mundane explanation. But another interesting fact is that first the FBI was called in. And then the heavily armed Green Berets. And the Green Berets conducted their own search apart from the official organized search.... telling.

Quite a bit of overkill for one moonshiner don’t you think? Green Berets DO NOT show up to search for missing kids in the woods.

So if they were not searching for Dennis Martin up there? What were they doing?

I seem to remember that the Greens Berets were in the area already doing training and this was used as an opportunity for more real world training.

I can’t recall the source, ring a bell with anyone else?

2 hours ago, norseman said:

It might be true that there is some mundane explanation. But another interesting fact is that first the FBI was called in. And then the heavily armed Green Berets. And the Green Berets conducted their own search apart from the official organized search.... telling.

Quite a bit of overkill for one moonshiner don’t you think? Green Berets DO NOT show up to search for missing kids in the woods.

So if they were not searching for Dennis Martin up there? What were they doing?

Absolutely, there are numerous question marks and unusual things, red flags even. Like why did they overlook the footprints? I'm not sure how things operated in that era in the US but quite often here the army is used in search and rescue operations. It's a horrible but very interesting case......sasquatch is one possible explanation, where there any reports of huge Bigfoot footprints or anything like that? They found a child's. 

The reports on Bigfoot websites I've read seem to have confirmation bias affecting their evidence, logic and conclusions. It's a possibility (assuming sasquatch is real which a lot of people don't) sure, but do we really think it's as likely as the child simply got lost, or got scared by a bear and ran off, subsequently suffered from exposure and wandered to the river and got swept away in the storm flow possibly.......

1 hour ago, Twist said:

I seem to remember that the Greens Berets were in the area already doing training and this was used as an opportunity for more real world training.

I can’t recall the source, ring a bell with anyone else?

It’s true that they do training in the Nantahala, but they train there regularly.  Lots of people (some of them children) go missing in that area and the Green Berets don’t come out for those searches.  There was something different about the Martin disappearance.

Also, the fact that they were armed is strange.  I recall reading that the Green Berets allowed a couple of local reporters take a few pics of them staging up to search and were unarmed in those pics.  They immediately afterwards armed up and separated their search from the locals entirely...separate communications, no more press, no one else was allowed in their grid, etc.  

I am pretty sure that I have seen it stated from different sources that they were very secretive and removed from the rest of the searchers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Celtic Raider said:

Absolutely, there are numerous question marks and unusual things, red flags even. Like why did they overlook the footprints? I'm not sure how things operated in that era in the US but quite often here the army is used in search and rescue operations. It's a horrible but very interesting case......sasquatch is one possible explanation, where there any reports of huge Bigfoot footprints or anything like that? They found a child's. 

The reports on Bigfoot websites I've read seem to have confirmation bias affecting their evidence, logic and conclusions. It's a possibility (assuming sasquatch is real which a lot of people don't) sure, but do we really think it's as likely as the child simply got lost, or got scared by a bear and ran off, subsequently suffered from exposure and wandered to the river and got swept away in the storm flow possibly.......

There are tons of missing persons cases that don’t make the 411 books. Tons of them have perfectly mundane explanations. Like getting lost and dying from exposure or drowning.

There are also real head scratchers like a Montana girl being carried off by a bipedal bear and then the bear hides her in a hollow log and takes care of her for three days during a snow storm. And many others that don’t fit anywhere close to mundane.

Dennis Martin is one such case.

I really raise my eye brows when people report bears in association with abductions but the bear is simply doing things that bears dont do. Like throw children over their shoulders and stride off. I think for many people a large upright hairy figure is bear like and so that’s how they  describe it.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article219134245.html

Unlike above.... These accounts are not Indian legends. These are factual police reports. We can try to poke holes in them.... we can poke holes in the legends and we can poke holes in the subject of Bigfoot itself.

But boiled down to brass tacks to the OP’s Ostman interview? Is he somehow out of line with supposed Bigfoot traits such as kidnapping? No. Is his experience out of line with other mysterious reports and missing persons? No. Could a large 800 lbs upright hominid pack a human off if it wanted to? Absolutely.

Do we need proof that Bigfoot exists? Absolutely.

• Upvote 1

Have there been any other bipedal bear missing persons cases with adults? With children, there are a few. I haven't heard of any other adult scenarios, male or female but I have not combed the public records like Paulides has.

1 minute ago, Arvedis said:

Have there been any other bipedal bear missing persons cases with adults? With children, there are a few. I haven't heard of any other adult scenarios, male or female but I have not combed the public records like Paulides has.

Where a ‘bipedal bear’ was seen in the area?  Or where the witness themselves reported one?