Radio Interview with Albert Ostman

MikeZimmer

13 hours ago, norseman said:

Not as familiar with that story.

This article explains his account in detail. His encounter, if true, was significantly more terrifying than Ostman's as it appears the Bigfoot that kidnapped him did so with predatory intent. 

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/classics/muchalat.htm

Edited by Wooly Booger
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

If you guys are going to downvote P-G every time that he says that he doesn’t believe one of these accounts...well, your thumbs are going to get tired before you change his mind.  

Why downvote a respectful skeptic?  Look at it like this, the day that P-G finds something presented here as possible evidence of Sasquatch, then we will know that we have something special on our hands.  

Wow. Thanks. Down votes don't bother me personally. 

As a skeptic,It comes with being a minority on a forum with such passionate proponents. It only bothers me when they are given to others. 

I have learned a lot about this subject from the dedicated experts here like you. I appreciate it.

I want to be wrong.  If they do really exist, and I ever encounter one I will take the shot.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Admin

A PhD linguist thinks bigfoot has language and identified one word of their vocaybilary based on Ostman's account.

Its a good read.

• Thanks 1

A good reference, g. Even better, there have been PhD's who have said Patty is real is a real creature. Dr. Scott L. Moody of Ohio State University, microbiologist, in a video eight years ago was just one of them. To have a PhD think the creatures have language is cool. But to have one think the thing is real is cooler still. As far as moving the current scientific needle though.....?

Edited by hiflier

17 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Wow. Thanks. Down votes don't bother me personally. 

As a skeptic,It comes with being a minority on a forum with such passionate proponents. It only bothers me when they are given to others. 

I have learned a lot about this subject from the dedicated experts here like you. I appreciate it.

I want to be wrong.  If they do really exist, and I ever encounter one I will take the shot.

Take the shot. Good luck

• 6 months later...

Honestly, I find the story kind of hard to believe entirely... but some of the finer details do correspond to some modern encounter reports. Fact or fiction, this is definitely one of the more famous historical accounts of Sasquatch and human interactions.

12 minutes ago, Hoekler73 said:

Honestly, I find the story kind of hard to believe entirely... but some of the finer details do correspond to some modern encounter reports. Fact or fiction, this is definitely one of the more famous historical accounts of Sasquatch and human interactions.

Are modern reports influenced by the Ostman story???

11 minutes ago, Twist said:

It is certainly possible that modern hoaxes could be the result of historical research... but some of the descriptions of Sasquatch behaviors Ostman described were quite similar to Primate/ Great ape behavior that wasn't even yet documented at the time, leaving one to wonder where he got that information if it was purely a hoax.

1 hour ago, Hoekler73 said:

When I first read of it, maybe 40 years ago, in a book by John Green, I thought it highly, highly improbable. I still question its veracity, but have come to think it less improbable, based on some of the details that Ostman reported. However, it is still quite a fantastic and seemingly unlikely tale. Very strange, very strange.

Edited by MikeZimmer

2 minutes ago, MikeZimmer said:

When I first read of it, maybe 40 years ago, in a book by John Green, I thought it highly, highly improbable. I still question its veracity, but have come to think it less improbable, based on some of the details that Ostman reported. However, it is still quite a fantastic and seemingly unlikely tale. Very strange, very strange.

Absolutely strange. Quite improbable. Highly unlikely... but all things considered, not entirely impossible. Quite a head scratcher of a case.

4 hours ago, Twist said:

I think the Ostman story corresponds to older Indian accounts. Doesn’t the female Squatch kidnap children and throw them into a basket on her back? That’s similar to kidnapping a man by throwing him and his sleeping bag over your back.

BFF Patron
14 hours ago, Twist said:

Sure, that's how all legends, myths, ect. propagate.  It is interesting that the incidence of reported kidnappings seem rarer in modern times.

This story has been a real poser for me ever since I was a kid. It sounds just too fantastic to be real. Some elements are way out there. Some seem dead on. 
My feeling is that Ostman probably did have an encounter. He may have had interactions with a family unit. But I also think he embellished a LOT of it for unknown reasons. Certainly, being a "mountain man" in that area he heard a few tales of the beings carrying off kids or raiding camps. it wouldn't be anything to adapt those tidbits into a great yarn. 

Also, I've always wondered if this did happen, WHY would they have taken him? What made him so special? I would think they had seen enough natives over time to know what he was. If they were wanting to study him, wouldn't they... a reportedly shy race of beings who avoid contact... simply watch from the shadows as is typical, reported behavior? Would a Papa Squatch bring a unknown creature into his family's safe place with no idea what would happen? I don't think they wanted a mate for their daughter as some speculated. Wouldn't Ostman be a poor specimen? All small and pale and hairless, he's hardly good son-in-law material. And really, as quick as they are, I doubt if Mama was chasing him that he would get away nor do I think the kids would've let him go that easily either. And he mentions running 3 miles in record time and getting up above to have a vantage point so he could see them coming. Now really...does anyone "see" them coming? If they wanted him...they'd have taken him.

So, I think he's a great story teller who took a few nighttime encounters and turned it into a legend.

Unfortunately, we have no way, that I can think of anyway, of confirming or dis-confirming the account. John Green and Albert Ostman have both passed away. John Green seems to have believed him, enough to interview him, to get a signed affidavit I believe, and to include the account in at least one book. Such an affidavit is a legal document in Canadian law, I have read, and there are penalties in law for lying in an affidavit.

All is speculation now, and we can only suspend judgment. Interesting tale though.