Norse’s trail cam pics

norseman

9 hours ago, JKH said:

.........cougar stew is new info to me! :rock:

With all the pet cats in our society, they would be the delicacy of survival meats in a SHTF scenario, especially a great, big, fat Maine Coon..........:whistle:

Years ago, a friend told me that he'd eaten cats several times, I was skeptical. Domestic cats in ethnic preparation, I believe, also larger. He said somewhat like stringy chicken, but the meat was better on a larger cat. Guess he wasn't making it up!

Also, of course our hairy friends like pets, too...

Edited by JKH

7 hours ago, Huntster said:

With all the pet cats in our society, they would be the delicacy of survival meats in a SHTF scenario, especially a great, big, fat Maine Coon..........:whistle:

Dogs have more meat. I think that books on the ethnic procedures for cooking dog are available. Sometimes there is a ritual like putting the dog in a burlap bag and then beating it with clubs.

Alaska changed the law for adopting pets from shelters. Years ago anyone could adopt animals. Currently, only Alaska residents can adopt shelter animals. Foreigners would work in the seafood industry and visit shelters to get dogs or harvest strays for barbeque. I had a neighbor who lost a dog. He searched high and low and found the hide in a dumpster by a floating processor ship.

5 hours ago, JKH said:

Years ago, a friend told me that he'd eaten cats several times, I was skeptical. Domestic cats in ethnic preparation, I believe, also larger. He said somewhat like stringy chicken, but the meat was better on a larger cat. Guess he wasn't making it up!

Years ago, there was a foundry in Seattle that poured huge amounts of stainless steel. The business moved out of Seattle but the stories survive. An employee told me about the cat problem. There were huge piles of casting sand that had to cool down and be prepared for the next molds. Cats would come from near and far to poop in the warm sand. Across the street was a set of rail road cars ganged together for various restaurant attempts. Management / ownership changed frequently. It went oriental and IIRC, the name was something like Shanghai Station. As soon as the restaurant went oriental, the cat poop in the foundry sand problem went away.

The property was developed years ago and the rail cars are gone, but the legend has stayed.

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

……Sometimes there is a ritual like putting the dog in a burlap bag and then beating it with clubs.…….

Probably to tenderize it so the eater thought that he was dining on cat.

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

……..Alaska changed the law for adopting pets from shelters. Years ago anyone could adopt animals. Currently, only Alaska residents can adopt shelter animals. Foreigners would work in the seafood industry and visit shelters to get dogs or harvest strays for barbeque……..

Eating dog in Alaska is like eating your car……..unless you can catch a poodle…….

IMG_2312.jpeg

2 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Years ago, there was a foundry in Seattle that poured huge amounts of stainless steel. The business moved out of Seattle but the stories survive. An employee told me about the cat problem. There were huge piles of casting sand that had to cool down and be prepared for the next molds. Cats would come from near and far to poop in the warm sand. Across the street was a set of rail road cars ganged together for various restaurant attempts. Management / ownership changed frequently. It went oriental and IIRC, the name was something like Shanghai Station. As soon as the restaurant went oriental, the cat poop in the foundry sand problem went away.

The property was developed years ago and the rail cars are gone, but the legend has stayed.

Funny!

I'll contribute another BF story. I've been listening to related podcasts for years, so I couldn't tell you which one it was, but the story goes that rural folks were getting visited by hairy guys. At some point they were storing trash for later disposal, which seems to be a common element in attracting the opportunists. Anyway, some of the stuff getting taken was bags of cat poop taken from litter boxes, I guess. Apparently, since cats are carnivores, their food contains a lot of protein and so does their waste. ;) 

10 minutes ago, JKH said:

Anyway, some of the stuff getting taken was bags of cat poop taken from litter boxes, I guess. Apparently, since cats are carnivores, their food contains a lot of protein and so does their waste. 

Feline 'Almond Roca', you get the picture. Nice image.

Brown bears like diapers.

Norseman has a few new options for gifting.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool to see a large herd like that. My wife and I once came upon a similar herd on private ranch land near the Whipsaw FSR, just at dusk. A few weeks later, when the season opened, I hunted the adjacent public land, and found lots of sign in an old clear cut that had lots of wild roses, from which they'd been nibbling the rose hips. I snuck into the area through the timber the following morning in the dark, and parked my butt on a stump right at the edge of the clearing. I could see all the white rumps, and hear their hooves clicking as they moved, but before it was light enough to shoot, they all disappeared up the slope on the other side of the cut, and were gone like ghosts!

• Like 1