Norse’s trail cam pics

norseman

8 hours ago, norseman said:

Why isnt Bigfoot killing deer and elk here?

They are waiting on you to fatten them up. They smell you, your vehicle and the camera. The camera has many negative emissions. Ever think that the area around your camera is a 'safe' zone for ungulates? Do you sort through the images and see the deer and elk stop, perk up and stare off into the darkness?

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

They are waiting on you to fatten them up. They smell you, your vehicle and the camera. The camera has many negative emissions. Ever think that the area around your camera is a 'safe' zone for ungulates? Do you sort through the images and see the deer and elk stop, perk up and stare off into the darkness?

Well whatever they are staring at in the dark? Leaves no Big five toed footprints….

Went on some Jeep trails today. Besides gobs of deer and turkey tracks we saw a Cougar trackway and a Moose trackway.

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0644.jpeg

IMG_0643.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Neat, I used to toss out food/mineral blocks every winter but now due to CWD they don’t want you putting anything like that out.  No cases in our immediate area but there were some 30-40 miles away which is too close for comfort.

1 hour ago, Chim Chim said:

Neat, I used to toss out food/mineral blocks every winter but now due to CWD they don’t want you putting anything like that out.  No cases in our immediate area but there were some 30-40 miles away which is too close for comfort.

For sure. Do they know how it’s transmitted?

The elk hoof rot on the west side is supposedly caused by timber company herbicides to keep the brush down while saplings grow.

I think direct contact is the #1 way but if they’re eating the same food it can be passed by the saliva left.  Basically they don’t want you doing anything that would cause them to congregate.

It can get in the soil too from droppings/dead deer decomposing and when they come along eating something on the ground they can catch it.  From what I’ve seen the only way to keep it in check is to thin the herd down in infected areas, less deer = less transmission.  Not ideal, but if the health of the herd is at stake what can you do.

4 hours ago, norseman said:

........The elk hoof rot on the west side is supposedly caused by timber company herbicides to keep the brush down while saplings grow.

Great. Moose eat brush. The use of herbicides in Alaska pretty much requires a permission slip from God.