Read any good Bigfoot books lately?

CelticKevin

That's quite the collection. How did you find the three-part series on Wood Knocks by David Weatherly? Worth getting?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CelticKevin said:

Here's mine.

20220310_173813.jpg

Here's my collection of books so far...give or take ones I've ditched over the years. A couple of duds in here too, but mostly good reads. Only problem is it gets repetitive after a while.

That's quite the collection too! You've got many of the classics.

7 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

That's quite the collection. How did you find the three-part series on Wood Knocks by David Weatherly? Worth getting?

Ive actually got 4 and 5 as well on weatherlys books. Its composite of multiple researchers and data from their areas. I like them just for resource to see what other folks are actively doing. He markets it as a "journal" I believe. Most of them are still on Amazon, or if you cant find one just email weatherly, I had to do that to get book 1.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, CelticKevin said:

Here's mine.

20220310_173813.jpg

Here's my collection of books so far...give or take ones I've ditched over the years. A couple of duds in here too, but mostly good reads. Only problem is it gets repetitive after a while.

Several I don’t have in there. How are the Dupler, Gordon, and Lewis books?

It's really funny how many of us have the same books on the same topics, not just Bigfoot.

We must have great taste.

3 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Several I don’t have in there. How are the Dupler, Gordon, and Lewis books?

The Lewis is more of a basic primer. It's a really basic rehash that leaves out names and other stats. I got the impression the author was getting material from other books and rewording things and cobbling together a fast book. Think of a Readers Digest Condensed book. It's not all that informative. To be fair, I knew it when I bought it. But I was supporting a local bookstore and hoping it would encourage them to sell more books on the subject.

The Gordon is a nice "carry this and do this" guide to things like recordering sightings and where to go. At least as I remember it...its been a while. There are good tips and tricks in it I think.

The Dupler book is fine. It's more of the same that we are used to. He does have chapters dedicated to various Bigfoot Groups as a sort of guide to who to contact as well as television shows. He's not shy about expressing his opinion about Finding Bigfoot...lol. His writing style reminds me of somebody who isnt writing a book but posting on a blog or a forum like this.

Just my take. 

8 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

The Lewis is more of a basic primer. It's a really basic rehash that leaves out names and other stats. I got the impression the author was getting material from other books and rewording things and cobbling together a fast book. Think of a Readers Digest Condensed book. It's not all that informative. To be fair, I knew it when I bought it. But I was supporting a local bookstore and hoping it would encourage them to sell more books on the subject.

The Gordon is a nice "carry this and do this" guide to things like recordering sightings and where to go. At least as I remember it...its been a while. There are good tips and tricks in it I think.

The Dupler book is fine. It's more of the same that we are used to. He does have chapters dedicated to various Bigfoot Groups as a sort of guide to who to contact as well as television shows. He's not shy about expressing his opinion about Finding Bigfoot...lol. His writing style reminds me of somebody who isnt writing a book but posting on a blog or a forum like this.

Just my take. 

Great. I appreciate your input on those titles. Amazon reviews are almost entirely unreliable when it comes to bigfoot books. I’ve been suckered into a fair bit of nonsense thanks to people being overly liberal with 5 star ratings.

Edited by langfordbc

24 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Great. I appreciate your input on those titles. Amazon reviews are almost entirely unreliable when it comes to bigfoot books. I’ve been suckered into a fair bit of nonsense thanks to people being overly liberal with 5 star ratings.

The 5 star ratings are probably friends of the author. A local shop owner wrote a book and asked people to rate it 5* so he could improve his standings.

But I too look at 5* Amazon ratings as unreliable. I read the three star ones instead. Those are more accurate I think since usually they list both the pluses and minuses. 

Can you list the "fair bit of nonsense" ones so I can avoid them?

24 minutes ago, CelticKevin said:

The 5 star ratings are probably friends of the author. A local shop owner wrote a book and asked people to rate it 5* so he could improve his standings.

But I too look at 5* Amazon ratings as unreliable. I read the three star ones instead. Those are more accurate I think since usually they list both the pluses and minuses. 

Can you list the "fair bit of nonsense" ones so I can avoid them?

One that I just bought was Leo Frank's "Family Ties". Stories of his numerous sightings and encounters in New Brunswick. Spoiler alert: he has names for the individual Sasquatches...

George Mitrovic's "Amazing Bigfoot Encounters in Canada" is sloppily written and edited. He has several other volumes for different regions. I expect they're just as terrible.

There's a few more in my collection that I would recommend against, but I don't really recall exactly which ones as it's been a while since I read them. Since the explosion of self publishing I typically only buy titles I've read a reliable review of or heard a discussion about on a podcast or such. Or I was already familiar with the author.

Edited by langfordbc
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, langfordbc said:

thumbnail_IMG_0545.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0546.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0547.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0548.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0549.jpg

HAHA!! I'm on your book shelf!!!! 

a quarter of our team  was in "Dark Skies". I'm Joe Perdue, then Ron Lanham and Dave Roberts are all part of the team. 

amazing collection BTW, ive been hunting some of those titles for some time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

HAHA!! I'm on your book shelf!!!! 

a quarter of our team  was in "Dark Skies". I'm Joe Perdue, then Ron Lanham and Dave Roberts are all part of the team. 

amazing collection BTW, ive been hunting some of those titles for some time. 

Cool :)

Lately I've been searching out some of the harder-to-find books that were published before I started actively buying these type of books ~20 years ago. Some of them only seem to be available directly from the publisher.

Edited by langfordbc
  • Like 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic