State of Sasquatch Research

Explorer

24 minutes ago, Explorer said:

However, you are not giving credit to all the smart and creative independent researchers who have come before you over the last 20 years and before.

I don’t mean this is a smart aleck way, so I hope that it doesn’t come across that way…

I guess that I am not giving credit to those folks because I don’t know what they did or didn’t do.  I am sure that there were some real dedicated people, but as interested as I am in looking for Sasquatch… I am not very interested in learning about other people who look for Sasquatch.  There are a couple of well known researchers whose theories I find interesting, but I don’t spend a lot of time researching the researchers.  I would hazard a guess that almost everyone in this forum is more familiar with 99% of the well known researchers than I am.  

I will say that I stand by my statement that a lot of people who are involved with this sort of thing (especially for long periods of time) have extremely rigid views and waste no opportunity to inflict those views on others…usually with no supporting evidence.  I do enjoy discussing the topic and trading ideas with open minded people… especially ones who are boots on the ground. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

.......What I have heard people say is that 'bigfooting' is snipe hunting for adults........

Snipe exist, and they're virtually impossible to see in the forest, even when you hear them winnow.........so yeah, it's pretty much the same.

45 minutes ago, gigantor said:

........Go out to bigfoot country, make a temporary camp and stay there from April to September. No motor vehicles. Live there for 6 months, cook, chop wood, hunt, fish, etc and be ready for the moment.

My dream. I haven't been able to pull it off simply due to responsibilities. The world simply will not release me from imprisonment. 

This is what our aboriginal cousins mean when they speak about worthiness. If you are able to leave the world of Man behind, you might be able to enter the world of primitive man.

Maybe............

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Snipe exist

There is even a hunting season for them in Oregon.

Edited by Doug

1 hour ago, Doug said:

There is even a hunting season for them in Oregon.

Same in Alaska. They're classified as migratory fowl under federal regs. They have a reputation to be a very difficult bird to hunt, flying very fast and erratically........like dove. I love dove hunting, have done it for years in Arizona. I had the best dove hunt if my life in November of 2020. I didn't miss many shots. But snipe? We hear them here in the forests of southcentral Alaska in the spring, but I can never see them. I call them the sasquatch bird. My brother calls them the woo-woo bird. I guess people hunt them in the open wetlands. That's the only place I see them.

I'll be hearing them winnowing a few weeks from now.

We have Wilson's snipe here. I have only seen one. I took a picture of it and matched it to pics on google. I have never hunted dove. 

On 3/27/2022 at 12:35 PM, Explorer said:

Juxtaposed to the personal objectives of independent researchers are those of the national and statewide organizations.  Sometimes these objectives align, and the groups grow, and sometimes they diverge and the groups break-up or shrink.   Of interest are the mission statements and objectives of some of the best-known sasquatch organizations:

BFRO:  The overall mission of the BFRO is multifaceted, but the organization essentially seeks to resolve the mystery surrounding the bigfoot phenomenon, that is, to derive conclusive documentation of the species' existence. This goal is pursued through the proactive collection of empirical data and physical evidence from the field and by means of activities designed to promote an awareness and understanding of the nature and origin of the evidence.

Olympic Project:  The OP is an association of dedicated researchers, investigators, biologists, and trackers committed to documenting the existence of Sasquatch through science and education. Through comprehensive habitat study, DNA analysis and game camera deployment, our goal is to obtain as much information and empirical evidence as we can, with hopes of being as prepared as possible when and if species verification comes to fruition. Our studies are conducted in a non-invasive manner with respect and sensitivity to probable habitat we believe this amazing species inhabits.

NAWAC:  To investigate and conduct research regarding the existence of the unlisted primate species we refer to as the wood ape, also known as the sasquatch or bigfoot; to facilitate scientific, official, and governmental recognition, conservation, and protection of the species and its habitat; and to help further factual education and understanding to the public regarding the species, with a focus on the continent of North America.

Our members are investigating one of the greatest natural enigmas of our time, and our main goal is to ultimately have the wood ape species documented, protected, and the land they inhabit protected.

AIBR: The Alliance of Independent Bigfoot Researchers: 

The main thrust of AIBR research is dedicated to the scientific study of the creatures popularly known as bigfoot. The objective of AIBR is to collect, collate and document evidence using forensically sound, scientific procedures, and present the resulting evidence to mainstream scientists as part of an effort to prove the creature’s existence. A significant effort is made into documenting Native American references to these creatures.

Of these 4 organizations, it seems that the AIBR was the one that could have helped the large diverse and disperse group of independent researchers across the US and Canada. Unfortunately, their website is no longer working. I don’t know if they are still active.  I believe that Kathy Strain was one of the founders and might let us know what their situation is.  If AIBR failed to get traction across North America, maybe it was because of the rugged individualism of the independent researchers and their lack of desire to join a group, share their findings, or be told how to conduct research properly. 

--------------------------

Of the "big Four" in research today, my take is as follows: 

BFRO: is a business, plain and simple, hiding behind a citizen scientist wrapper. Some of them are quality researchers, others are...... I'll just leave that there. What they are not, is the only Scientific Organization pusruing Bigfoot. Their leadership their credibility's biggest liability as well.

Olympic Project: Best group out there imo, would like to see them get results for their extensive efforts.

The NAWAC: Are well funded and well organized and blinded by their pro kill mentality, which is a shame.

The AIBR: I'm baffled why they would even be included here. They are defunct and were never more than an umbrella website online. They never to my knowledge had a single outting in the Field, and most of their leadership seemed to have migrated to the NAWAC.

In overall research:

Much of what is holding Research back is the garbage being slung on social media, and does nothing to help and only gives a platform for those pretenders who exploit the subject for $$$$; specifically but not limited to the Zorth Cult, Isdahl, Paulides, and others. The bulk of the BFRO barely ranks above these guys. 

May not be positive, but without addressing the negatives, the boat anchor remains.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

Much of what is holding Research back is the garbage being slung on social media

Yes…if only we could shut down all of the Facebook groups, we could have this little conundrum wrapped up in a week.  

Please give me an example of how a social media Bigfoot page is holding back research.  Jeff Meldrum had some private funding cut because someone stumbled across a blurry photo of a tree line with a red circle?

The more people exposed to topic, the better.  Hopefully some of them will get involved enough to make a difference…will actually get out into the field instead of just talking about it.  

There is a certain sub-set of people involved with the search for Bigfoot that remind me of HAM operators…dour, bitter gate-keepers who hate for people to get involved with THEIR HOBBY.  As a result, younger generations are steering clear of HAM and it is dying away.  I see it in another forum occasionally…someone discussing how they got their license only to stop participating because of the bitter attitudes of the old guard.  

It’s been pretty cool to see the younger crowd begin to effectively use social media to generate support for their efforts…both in field research and producing serious media.  A lot of the newer crowd never would have gotten into this without social media.  There are two separate groups that I personally know who are in the process of graduating from purely posting on social media to actually getting out in the field.  It’s been a lot of fun discussing techniques and equipment with them.  

A lot of these guys and girls don’t have a background that would facilitate going out into the woods safely.  They didn’t have a family involved in outdoors activities.  The only way that they were able to get the fire lit was through social media.  

24 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yes…if only we could shut down all of the Facebook groups, we could have this little conundrum wrapped up in a week.  

Please give me an example of how a social media Bigfoot page is holding back research.  Jeff Meldrum had some private funding cut because someone stumbled across a blurry photo of a tree line with a red circle?

Really? 

Facebook: Any one of a plethora of Woo based nonsensical groups, blurry paredoila sharers, I'm not going to cite just one because they've become a dime a dozen..... The obvious offenders? Matt Johnson, Colorado Bigfoot's Mark Abell, Steve Isdahl, Chris Noel, David Paulides, 

Even Meldrum himself has morphed over time to a celebrity conference speaker. Scientist, or Celebrity bigfooter at this point?

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Really? 

Facebook: Any one of a plethora of Woo based nonsensical groups, blurry paredoila sharers, I'm not going to cite just one because they've become a dime a dozen..... The obvious offenders? Matt Johnson, Colorado Bigfoot's Mark Abell, Steve Isdahl, Chris Noel, David Paulides, 

Even Meldrum himself has morphed over time to a celebrity conference speaker. Scientist, or Celebrity bigfooter at this point?

That must feel really good, cathartic,  to finally post that which those of us paying attention knew would be your ultimate confession.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

That must feel really good, cathartic,  to finally post that which those of us paying attention knew would be your ultimate confession.

What exactly have I confessed to? That the State of research is much to be desired? Sorry, but yeah it is.

1 minute ago, vinchyfoot said:

What exactly have I confessed to? That the State of research is much to be desired? Sorry, but yeah it is.

And my merely pointing that out is worthy of a downvote?

You reveal yourself.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Incorrigible1 said:

And my merely pointing that out is worthy of a downvote?

You reveal yourself.

Nope, a downvote is a downvote and the jab you threw was worthy. You're pointing out what exactly, 99% of Social Media bigfootery is crap. Then good on you.

Just now, vinchyfoot said:

Nope, a downvote is a downvote and the jab you threw was worthy. You're pointing out what exactly, 99% of Social Media bigfootery is crap. Then good on you.

Word salad.

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Really? 

Yes, there are a plethora of Facebook pages devoted to the subject.  Most of them are not something that I would find interesting.  I spend most of my free time involved with this subject on one way or another, but I am not a big consumer of that stuff.  

How have those pages held back research?  What research would have occurred, but was prevented by a Facebook fan page?  

You keep saying this, and it’s obvious that you have a lot of disdain for several people in this field.  Which is your prerogative.  

Do you think that social media is the only thing holding back mainstream science from embracing the topic?  Are there meetings going on between zoologists, biologists, and anthropologists discussing their research plans… until somebody chimes in and goes “Hold on a minute.  Have you guys seen these memes?  This ‘World’s Hide And Seek Champion’ t-shirt?  We need to cancel everything “

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

• gigantor locked this topic