State of Sasquatch Research

Explorer

Much of what is occurring today in Bigfoot research is mindless charlatanism. Appealing to the lowest common denominator aka Matt Moneymaker, Small Town Monsters etc…

None of which is any better than the influx of paranormal BS which has all but ensured that Bigfoot research will never be taken seriously by the scientific community. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Word salad.

Nope, just a proud member of the Steering Commitee calling into question their own standards for research and the like. Maybe now back to a potentially decent discussion from all points of view, not just the framers of the popular narrative.

Just now, Wooly Booger said:

Much of what is occurring today in Bigfoot research is mindless charlatanism. Appealing to the lowest common denominator aka Matt Moneymaker, Small Town Monsters etc…

None of which is any better than the influx of paranormal BS which has all but ensured that Bigfoot research will never be taken seriously by the scientific community. 

Like UFOs?

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yes, there are a plethora of Facebook pages devoted to the subject.  Most of them are not something that I would find interesting.  I spend most of my free time involved with this subject on one way or another, but I am not a big consumer of that stuff.  

How have those pages held back research?  What research would have occurred, but was prevented by a Facebook fan page?  

You keep saying this, and it’s obvious that you have a lot of disdain for several people in this field.  Which is your prerogative.  

Do you think that social media is the only thing holding back mainstream science from embracing the topic?  Are there meetings going on between zoologists, biologists, and anthropologists discussing their research plans… until somebody chimes in and goes “Hold on a minute.  Have you guys seen these memes?  This ‘World’s Hide And Seek Champion’ t-shirt?  We need to cancel everything “

Yes it is my prerogative, that said, as far as holding back research and or evidence goes, I am referring the mass of Woo pushers and their ilk, and they would need to actually have evidence to be holding it back.

1 minute ago, vinchyfoot said:

Nope, just a proud member of the Steering Commitee calling into question their own standards for research and the like. Maybe now back to a potentially decent discussion from all points of view, not just the framers of the popular narrative.

Like UFOs?

Exactly. UFOs, Atlantis, other dimensions. I swear, some of these people would think moose are interdimensional beings if they were currently an unclassified species lol. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, vinchyfoot said:

Yes it is my prerogative, that said, as far as holding back research and or evidence goes, I am referring the mass of Woo pushers and their ilk, and they would need to actually have evidence to be holding it back.

You dodged my question.

What research has been prevented from occurring?  

Just now, vinchyfoot said:

Pass the ranch dressing.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Pass the ranch dressing.

Why? Will that coverup all the BS you’ve passed around here?

Nick Redfern, is that you?

Edited by Wooly Booger

Just now, Wooly Booger said:

Why? Will that coverup all the BS you’ve passed around here?

Citation?

5 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

You dodged my question.

What research has been prevented from occurring?  

Maybe ill phrased, it's being obscured into the background by the increasing white noise of the increasingly prevalent woo related nonsense. Drowned out if you will. Maybe some old timers can filter out theBS, but the newbs get washed over by it, and polluted potentially, in a hearts and minds sort of consideration.

2 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Citation?

Don't dodge the question. One dissenting pov rears it head and there you are, trying to derail it in favor of the pollyanna attitude all is fine and well in the state of Woo pursuit that much research has become.

2 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

Maybe ill phrased, it's being obscured into the background by the increasing white noise of the increasingly prevalent woo related nonsense. Drowned out if you will. Maybe some old timers can filter out theBS, but the newbs get washed over by it, and polluted potentially, in a hearts and minds sort of consideration.

So, your point is that people who are capable of engaging in legitimate research are being swayed by Facebook groups filled with little old ladies talking about their Bigfoot experiences in their backyards?

3 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

So, your point is that people who are capable of engaging in legitimate research are being swayed by Facebook groups filled with little old ladies talking about their Bigfoot experiences in their backyards?

think more about the mainstream person looking in from the outside. When people like Colorado Bigfoot get 10000s of followers I think I have a point.

12 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Citation?

You seem to show up and defend woo whenever a serious minded researchers calls it out for the nonsense that it is. 

1 minute ago, vinchyfoot said:

think more about the mainstream person looking in from the outside. When people like Colorado Bigfoot get 10000s of followers I think I have a point.

So social media is a zero sum game… a follower for whoever that is results in a ‘serious researcher’ not having a follow.  

The lack of social media followers has presented a ‘serious researcher’ from conducting his research.  Once Colorado Bigfoot is driven from social media, the researcher will attain the proper number of followers.  Then real research can commence.

A serious researcher cannot conduct his research unless those viewpoints that he finds ridiculous are eliminated.  

Am I tracking?  

Is it the lack of attention that is hurting these researchers?  Social media attention?  

10 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

I fully agree. Everytime I try to find a quality Sasquatch documentary on YouTube the only programming that comes up is worthless crap posted by Small Town Monsters and other losers. 

It’s getting to be like the History Channel. Give me good old fashioned historical documentaries rather than Ancient Aliens, Ice Road Truckers, inbred hillbillies, and the lowest common denominator. 

Edited by Wooly Booger

It seems that the people who are involved with actual serious amateur research (because at the end of the day, it’s all amateur) don’t worry about this stuff.  You might look at it and cringe, but you keep on with your own efforts.  

The only people who seem to get upset over what other people are doing online are the ones who seem to stew on their own anger that someone is getting the attention that they themselves deserve.  They are upset that the topic has become more popular and they are no longer as unique as they once were.

That doesn’t sound like a researcher who just wants answers.  It sounds like an old boy’s club.

• gigantor locked this topic