General consensus on what Bigfoot is

Grub-Girl

32 minutes ago, norseman said:

No way a population of humans could avoid detection for this long either. 

Humans like us  but just veered off of our evolutionary track I agree . I'm not a whoo guy for these creatures but I think there's a lot in play in this universe we don't remotely  understand .

I tend to believe that sasquatches are what they are and nothing I can think or say will change what they are, so I tend to not put them in a box. Having said that, I lean towards a flesh and blood creature with special talents and attributes. Bioluminescent eyes and infrasound being a couple of them. There is a lot of wooy things that one encounters that turn out to be more natural and normal than what it seemed. Then on the other hand some really unexplained bizarre things happen that just freaks a person out. I also tend to believe that anecdotal evidence wether mundane or wooish should be looked at when trying to understand the whole of the phenomenon.

• Like 2

Endless fascination with the legendary creature that makes great campfire stories. 

The flawed but interesting accounts and evidence of something that most likely doesn't even exist in the here and now. 

Many things to many people be it flesh and blood ,spiritual or nothing at all. 

Thats not really that important. What is important is just one more reason to enjoy the great outdoors and all the beauty it entails. 

I am glad to have family members and friends who frequently look for the creature they will never find. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Huntster said:

After nearly 60 years of interest and reading about the subject, I am now of the belief that these creatures are a hominid; a species of primitive man. I also believe that hybridization with homo sapiens occurs.

Are there first hand accounts of interspecies relations? That would be fascinating. :)

10 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Endless fascination with the legendary creature that makes great campfire stories. 

The flawed but interesting accounts and evidence of something that most likely doesn't even exist in the here and now. 

Many things to many people be it flesh and blood ,spiritual or nothing at all. 

Thats not really that important. What is important is just one more reason to enjoy the great outdoors and all the beauty it entails. 

I am glad to have family members and friends who frequently look for the creature they will never find. 

I wonder about this a lot. It is inherently positive because it encourages people t o get out and about and engage their own curiosity.

21 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I literally have no idea what these things are.  I thought that I did years ago before I started spending a fair amount of time actually looking into the phenomenon rather than just studying it by reading the works of others.  

I think that hardliners on both sides are approaching the topic with their minds already made up…and will selectively decide with reports and evidence they want to accept in order to reinforce their theories.  

The undiscovered ape idea doesn’t hold water for me anymore.  You end up doing more mental gymnastics to explain away even the slightly stranger stuff than you do to wholeheartedly embrace a total paranormal approach.  Just an ordinary ape… with abilities so far beyond any other creature on earth that it might as well be alien.  A 100% success rate of avoiding a provable death or discovery.  The ability to use infrasound in a manner which is impossible (since we have at least scientifically studied infrasound and know its limitations) and which is unparalleled in the rest of the natural world.  The ability to avoid sophisticated infrared cameras, but it couldn’t avoid a couple of cowboys with 1960s technology.  Strength, speed, agility, and stealth which have no near equal anywhere in the animal kingdom.  Physical senses that seem to excel in every category with no accompanying weaknesses.

The fact that they seem to be everywhere, yet nowhere.

At least the paranormal approach allows one to accept that there are rules to the universe of which we are currently unaware.  However, the paranormal theory can be kind of an excuse to present any crazy theory you choose to adhere to without presenting any of your own findings or evidence.  So much of that world is unquantifiable.  If that’s the case…why even bother looking into it? Also, so many hardcore supernatural Sasquatch proponents are just so obviously bad storytellers desperate for attention.  

Both worlds are so riddled with fraud and lies.  We spend more time speaking with first hand witnesses nowadays then we did in the past.  The amount of lies that are told for no reason at all is staggering.   Not everyone, not even a majority… but, a very sizable percentage just seem to make this stuff up for no apparent reason.  Either attention, casual mischief, or maybe they want the world to have a little bit of magic so badly that they are willing to lie to total strangers for no reason just to foster the idea that there is something strange going on in our mundane world.

The slow roll UAP disclosure kind of reveals that we don’t know as much as we thought about how the physical world operates.  If you can’t see parallels between that paradigm shift and what might very well be going on with the Sasquatch phenomenon… 

For myself… I had a sighting of something when I was a boy in the George Washington National Forest.  I have never had another Sasquatch sighting, but I have seen some weird stuff that shouldn’t be possible.  I have found footprints and other physical evidence that match up with what people associate with Sasquatch… tree twists, structures, heard whoops.

I have also seen weird lights… flashes and orbs.  Seen other things that I would have previously thought impossible.  Things that I have shared other members of this forum for their own analysis.  

So, at the end of the day…I don’t think either camp is 100% right or wrong.  I basically just made a long winded post to say “I don’t know and I honestly don’t think anyone else does either.”  

I appreciate you being candid about not knowing. I would describe my approach as generally sceptical however there are a lot of unexplainable things here.

I think it seems like this community is mostly leans towards a less 'woo' explanation.

I am pretty open to all kinds :)

Thank you for such a comprehensive post!

15 hours ago, norseman said:

It leaves tracks, hair, etc. So it’s flesh and blood.

Its also the hide and seek world champion. Which makes people want to give it super natural abilities. 

But watching the UFO scene? The government has admitted that we have alien craft in our airspace. So? We don’t know what sort of sorcery they could be committing. A advanced alien race? Could have technology that appears to be magic to us. Beam me up Scotty!

So I approach it as a flesh and blood creature, but I keep an open mind. I’ve never seen a Bigfoot. But I’ve seen UFO’s on numerous occasions.

Super interesting :)

I had not considered the idea that they are more advanced than us. I have been thinking recently that the reason for the lack of physical evidence (hair, poop or flesh) may be due to the fact that they are beings that exist on another plane/ in another dimension. The siting's are only the result of short slips from one realm to another. 
I appreciated that this thought is firmly in the 'WOO' category but the lack of evidence makes me wonder.....

2 hours ago, Grub-Girl said:

Are there first hand accounts of interspecies relations? That would be fascinating. :)

None first hand that I know of, but several second hand native American accounts of woman and child stealing (although there are also accounts of man kidnapping, too). I know of one documented account of an Alaskan Koyukon man who claimed to kill a female sasquatch with a knife after she followed him for days and finally rushed him. He thought that she "wanted to make love" with him.

I also believe that some sasquatch or "wildman" reports are feral humans.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Grub-Girl said:

Super interesting :)

I had not considered the idea that they are more advanced than us. I have been thinking recently that the reason for the lack of physical evidence (hair, poop or flesh) may be due to the fact that they are beings that exist on another plane/ in another dimension. The siting's are only the result of short slips from one realm to another. 
I appreciated that this thought is firmly in the 'WOO' category but the lack of evidence makes me wonder.....

They may not be. They could simply be a biological experiment. Heck, we could be a biological experiment. The whole planet could be a biological lab.

7 hours ago, Huntster said:

None first hand that I know of, but several second hand native American accounts of woman and child stealing (although there are also accounts of man kidnapping, too). I know of one documented account of an Alaskan Koyukon man who claimed to kill a female sasquatch with a knife after she followed him for days and finally rushed him. He thought that she "wanted to make love" with him.

I also believe that some sasquatch or "wildman" reports are feral humans.

Wow, I wonder if they just get confused. Their level of intelligence is still so unknown.

Curios, I wonder how he sensed her intentions. Can they speak? The mind speak phenomenon is something I find hard to believe.

I have read a couple of accounts of 'wildman' situations. I can see how there may be confusion. But all this paranormal stuff?! A human couldnt do that...

:)

6 hours ago, norseman said:

They may not be. They could simply be a biological experiment. Heck, we could be a biological experiment. The whole planet could be a biological lab.

WORD!

20 minutes ago, MIB said:

I don't think you'll find consensus.   Opinions vary and are strongly held.

I don't think there's evidence for BF being merely a myth, the only support that has is lack of proof to the contrary, and lack of proof is not proof of lack.   My research approach is looking for a F&B "critter", yes, a bipedal primate, but that's a weak term, it glosses over how truly close to us I think they are genetically.   I'm looking at them being the robustus to our gracile .. more or less.   Like darwin's finches evolving specializations to avoid competition for resources.    Genetically, we run hot, open savannah in bright daylight, they walk cold, snowy mountains in the dark.   Each specialization we have, they seem to have the opposite.   I suspect they have brain capabilities similar to ours but oriented differently because their physical advantages resolve needs we had to develop tools and fire to compensate for.    At the same time, in my past as a report investigator I had access to the raw reports almost nobody sees and there was an incredible amount of high strangeness that got "sanitized" out of the raw reports prior to publication.   For me it is necessary to leave the possibility of some of the woo explanations on the table at least for now because, as I said before, lack of proof is not proof of lack, we just discard the uncomfortable so we don't have to deal with it.   

My approach in the field focuses on F&B.   I keep an eye out for the "woo" and for ways to try to apply science to studying that when I encounter it.  

I can't take skepticism seriously.   I've had two clear sightings.    Non-existence is off of the table for me.

MIB

Interesting. I think the idea of an undiscovered primate can be seen as 'woo' territory because of the lack of published physical evidence. I'm pretty new to all this and have yet to acquire enough knowledge to make my mind up visa vie sceptical/non sceptical approach. just gathering info in the old brain box at this stage.
Would love a bit more insight into this raw material you speak of. 

I like the Lloyd Pye postulate. Sas are the original hominid species on Terra, Homo-notso-sapiens are a genetic cross between them and an off world species, wiser than we, who perform there genetic manipulations outside the reach of their native populace.

• Like 1

My standard answer is

In over four million years of human evolution, we've never, not for one minute, been the only bipedal mammal on the planet. Every step of the way, there's been some other cousin waking the path with us.

There's been multiple species even, not just primates. Hell, lemurs can walk on two feet.

Except, apparently, now?

We know at least two cousins were walking the planet at the last ice age. Two cousins who looked very different than we do today, but apparently we interbred.

That said, if bigfoot was genetic memory from millions of years of being threatened by these cousins, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, and if they turned out to be lemurs, that would also not surprise me in the least.

But if they turn out to be humans, I wound actually be quite surprised.

What is most likely and most easily explained: An evolutionary offshoot or divergent of humans. One responder posted the theory of humans who took a different path away from agriculture/industry early in our development, that would likely be just as but differently intelligent. As for interesting (notice I dont say paranormal), I am open to infrasound both because I have likely experienced it in the field and there is a precedent for it in nature already, as well as occuring in various mammal species. Another possibility would be something pherimonal, which also exists in nature. 

What is not: Gignato. That has always been an altered puzzle piece theory to fill a gap, and much of the reason I question the limits of certain long time well known researchers crediblity.

What shouldn't even be entertained without proof: That they are the Nephilim, aliens, demons, government experiments,  mind speakers, cloakers or any woo nonsense without proof. And there never is any. Till there is, this is a rabbit hole to nowhere and hurts the overall effort as much if not more than hoaxing.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic