Cerutti Mastodon site

norseman

The peopling of the Americas is a chronic battleground.  Siberian transplants is a popular theme for recent history. Pre-Siberian migrations across the Bering  land bridge before the last glaciation began are difficult to trace. Glaciers wipe out history....wash, rinse, repeat. Many bones have been washed out to sea. Glacial Lake Outburst Floods move mountains and plains. What about pre-Siberian migrants coming up from the south? Few people suggest a southern route out of Africa, across Antarctica to South America. Keep in mind that the ice cover and shoreline of Antarctica was very different.  The travelers hang out in South America for awhile, head north from Tiera del Fuego up the kelp highway of the western coast. Southern California would have been an area where the weather suited their clothes.

Fast forward to CM site. Not a kill zone. The animals were dead already, in a faunal deposit from a flood / GLOF. Floods impart severe blunt force trauma. Today, we have events like 'gully washers' in Arizona. They are harmful and can be fatal. Recent mind boggling examples of the power of GLOF are at the Hubbard Glacier, Alaska, in 1986 and 2002.( don't tell anyone that the Hubbard Glacier is one of 8 Alaskan glaciers that are increasing in mass and advancing ).

The CM site needs more work. From my dashboard, I can't determine if there is any interest in the site besides researchers bashing each other.

The CM dead animals can not be an isolated location. What would I do? The animals are in a Pleistocene sediment bed. There will be upstream and downstream directions. I would use a coring drill rig for sampling to find the pattern of Pleistocene sediment deposits. Lucky coring has the potential to bring up artifacts. Sometimes, drilling a water well brings up oddities.

Excavator, backhoe. Repeat.

Edited by Catmandoo
text