Is The Skookum Cast Still Considered To Be A Potential Bigfoot Lay?

Do hunters always think they have a leg up on us lowly Bigfoot researchers or something? Do they think we are just some silly city bumpkins running around the woods with our heads cut off? Never noticing the animals that live there?

I come from a family of avid hunters (Black powder, modern and bow) who have taken their fair share during the course of things, but I will have to say that I spend 100's of more hours in the woods observing wildlife and their sign than they do. It is almost like the only time they go out is to shoot something... during that time of year that is mostly what goes on... so what kind of behavior or sign are they seeing? Animals running away?

damndirtyape: You're entitled to your opinion - just like I am mine. If you see bigfoot in that impression, that is fine with me. I see an elk impression. I don't think that anyone has a leg up on the other. I'm glad that you took the time to cast something you felt was evidence. Thats how it will be collected if you did find something authentic and you did a great job of it. I just think you have misidentified it. Not a bad thing to collect what you feel is evidence. Especially so if you feel it could be as important as an authentic bigfoot impression. I don't think anyone is trying to cry foul on your actions.

Guest StankApe

I have to tell y'all, as a non hunter (I have spent a good deal of time in the woods but I know diddley about elk or deer really) I am completely at the discretion of the experts on this one. I saw the show about the cast and to me it looked like a divot in the mud. (I reckon I'm not alone in that first opinion either) I just don't know enough about lay's and such to have a clue.

I saw the anthropologist guy with the long hair's analysis and it seemed pretty through and he didn't seem to have an agenda. But haven't heard anything about until reading this thread. It's very interesting folks thanx! :thumbsup:

BFF Patron

Thanks for the added info. on the technique of preservation and casting DDA. If Bobbie S. has any added pictures of said area before or around the time of the casting it would be nice to know where such pictures now reside. Granted it was a nondescript pull-off and expectations would have been low for that particular area to be selected for baiting. The guy creeping around in the woods, trying to sneak into camp, what was that all about? Typical shenanigans from a known outlaw?

Some of us armchairs are good at recognizing animal sign from hunting experience and being exposed to fauna and their habits. :)

Apparently not good enough when professional, credentialed scientists like Dr Meldrum, Schaller, etc examine the same material and come to a vastly different conclusion.

If you see bigfoot in that impression, that is fine with me. I see an elk impression. I don't think that anyone has a leg up on the other.

Drs Meldrum, et al have a leg up on ALL of us, having degrees in and professional expertise in the appropriate fields of study.

Guest RedRatSnake

Drs Meldrum, et al have a leg up on ALL of us, having degrees in and professional expertise in the appropriate fields of study.

All that education and he still thinks there is a few thousand 8' tall super human apes running around in the woods

Tim

Guest parnassus

And gives the scientific reasons WHY he is open to that idea.

What do you think is the best argument he presents re the Skookum imprint?

Edited by parnassus

Apparently not good enough when professional, credentialed scientists like Dr Meldrum, Schaller, etc examine the same material and come to a vastly different conclusion.

It is a huge disappointment to see Meldrum (still?) endorsing these as a bigfoot impression. All of the degrees or "leg ups" in this case did not prevent Meldrum from confirmation bias. I find it an embarrassment to academic standards, and yet another reason this subject is not taken seriously. Bigfoot enthusiasts often say they want the subject taken more seriously, as do the scientists involved in this "discovery". Yet, they will tout an elk impression as "some of the best evidence" of bigfoot. It is ridiculous, and incredibly ironic. As long as things like this remain "bigfoot evidence" enthusiasts and accredited scientists alike will continue to accept mockery and bathe in the irony of why "science won't take the subject more seriously."

This is an elk imprint made at an elk farm. It was done for comparison a few weeks after the cast was made.

Can you (or anyone else) point out the elk tracks in the center of the imprint that, according to Dr. Meldrum, LAL, and others, must be there?

RayG

Guest Primate

127- Dr Meldrum is not a dissapointment , morally bankrupt , or doing ireparable damage to bigfoot research because YOU think it's an elk lay..

• Upvote 2

127- Dr Meldrum is not a dissapointment , morally bankrupt , or doing ireparable damage to bigfoot research because YOU think it's an elk lay..

I just hope he has the courage to correct his mistake.

I just hope he has the courage to correct his mistake.

Suppose it's not a mistake and he stands by his conclusions? Should he become a hypocrite just to please people on a message board?

Can you (or anyone else) point out the elk tracks in the center of the imprint that, according to Dr. Meldrum, LAL, and others, must be there?

Can you (or anyone else show) us how an elk gets up without using its lower forelegs?

• masterbarber unpinned this topic