Enoch

Guest Primate

I am more curious to know if it worth reading regardless of what side of the fence (or if you sit on it) you fall on. Is it well written whether you consider it fact or fiction? Always on the look out for another book to add to my list of things that will likely never get read. (I still like giving it the old college try)

While you asked this two months ago, I just finished reading it. I can't give much of an opinion as to how "real" it is or not, but then, ALL of the books on the subject with anecdotal sightings are just stories because like the Enoch-story, there's no proof. But then does there need to be? If you 'believe' in bigfoot then do so and accept part or all of this account. As for whether it is well-written, I enjoyed it well enough. I read the whole book in 4 days, with a combined hour input of maybe 20 hrs (read an hour here, an couple hrs there, etc). If you can find it on the cheap, pick it up and keep an open mind as you read it. Even if it isn't real, it's an interesting enough story.

Boris Khan

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished this book. I enjoyed reading it. I think there are a lot of truths in the book. I notice there are a lot of grinches on the forums. :huh:

The scenario calls for suspension of disbelief--actually the whole bigfoot topic might also call for some suspension of disbelief. Those who are stuck in one gear of thinking might have trouble seeing the story as just that, a story. To those folks, I urge use of their imaginations. It's okay, you can be imaginative and creative. Let go, for crying out loud. Release that sphincter a bit.

Michael Crichton began many of his books with a forward that implied the whole story was literally true. This lent an aura of reality and immediacy to the narrative that turned the reading experience into quite a thrill. Maybe Autumn has done the same thing?

On the other hand, I objected to the degree of preaching the author did. Gawhhhh, as Napolean Dynamite would say.

Edited by Kings Canyon

I enjoyed the book, too. I especially like the preachy parts, actually :lol: . If/when the science comes back on BF, I think many things within the book will end up moving closer to the realm of non-fiction (i.e. that there may be more/less human looking subtypes). I just hope that wherever he is and whomever he is (if he even exists) that the real Mike NEVER stands up to claim his fame. It was a pretty expensive little book that I do not regret shelling out the bucks for, regardless of whether or not it is a work of complete or partial fiction. I think if readers take it for what it is,and accept it as either complete or partial fiction (while keeping a somewhat open mind), they are liable to get more from reading the book. I compare it as a read to "Where Bigfoot Walks" by Pyle.

• 2 months later...
Guest cowgirl

A friend loaned me his copy and I read it in one setting and I must say I have mixed feelings about it.

But I liked it for the most part but I still have a lot of questions is there going to be a second book?

Michael Crichton began many of his books with a forward that implied the whole story was literally true. This lent an aura of reality and immediacy to the narrative that turned the reading experience into quite a thrill. Maybe Autumn has done the same thing?

Crichton wrote works of fiction and never claimed they were anything but fiction. A favorable comparison of Autumn to Crichton should be a criminal offense.

I think if readers take it for what it is,and accept it as either complete or partial fiction (while keeping a somewhat open mind), they are liable to get more from reading the book. I compare it as a read to "Where Bigfoot Walks" by Pyle.

The problem with taking Autumn's book as fiction is that she is peddling it as fact. Pyle's book is soulful art -- the history of an Ivy League educated entomologist's fascination with bigfoot. I can't recall him peddling outrageous stories as fact.

I still struggle with that issue (peddling possible fiction as fact), Ptero, but I was struck by the book, and felt it to be artistic and soulful in its own right. The journey involved in that book reminded me of Pyle's book. Not going to go too deep in comparing them.

Part of me wishes that, if the book is fiction, the author would admit that fact.

Another part of me thinks that the mystery of the book is more than a bit representative of many aspects of the greater mystery of BF, and the viewpoints of some persons who claim to encounter and interact with them...I am sure that there are many people who don't think that the story, or at least some aspects of it, are outrageous.

I don't know how to feel about the book at the end of the day.

The book has inspired an ambivalence for me that I find stimulating. The ambivalence that it inspires is the beauty of the thing, IMO.

Unless that kind of thing drives you batty. :) At the end of the day, I found it thought provoking, regardless of its fictional or non-fictional status. Maybe I am just a sucker.

Guest cowgirl

I was not aware of the fiction non fiction debate going on with this book. Is there really a Mike or was he fiction also? has anyone ever talked to him in person?

If he is a real person I think he should do a big foot web cast and be interviewed to find out once and for all what the real story is. Has anyone ever asked him to

be interviewed that would be one way to find out if he is real or not.

It doesn't matter. Every work of fiction is a patchwork of of the author's experience. Inasmuch, every story is based on reality and every story, even nonfiction, is part imagination.

Think about it. It wasn't a biography, a memoir, or a nonfiction work of any other description. So it was fiction.

Is or was there an actual fellow just like Mike?

What was taken from a single, real story, and what was compiled from many different stories and experiences?

What did she make up?

You don't' have to know, and she isn't going to tell, so just enjoy it, brah.

Swamp Bandit- please, next time you get involved in writing a book or have somebody "ghost write" for you can you sign an affadavid? ptangier

BFF Patron

He's a guy that admitted to a hoax to his author and then reneged. What good is an affidavit going to do with an individual such as that? Geeesh........

Nevertheless, here's his doc. if he chooses to make a fool of himself..... again!

Edited by MikeG
Edited to correct unfortunate spelling error

Guest cowgirl

I went back and read this thread from the beginning and I see what your talking about. Are you saying that he's not on here anymore?

I would really have liked to have had the chance to speak with him.

Swampbandit left in a huff, I recall.

quoting

08 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

OK the jig is up you got me I'm really not Mike never was you people attacked me on the old forums when I told you my story and this is payback time.

You people are to easy you think your so much better than everyone else. Like is said in the book smell you later losers.

AUTUMN RULES AND YOUR FOOLS

Edited by Kings Canyon

Guest cowgirl

I see, I'm not sure but from what I have read it sounds like he/she is putting out a smoke screen to throw everyone off his/her track.

I do not think he/she was trying to discredit Ms Williams or the book as much as he/she was trying to cloud up the water so nobody would know what to think.

What better way to protect yourself than play the crazy card and it would not be the first time someone has done this sort of thing.