The Echo Incident

Guest parnassus

I disagree with the assessment "worthless", this video was made on a $632 camera. This level of detail is not superior to PGF? I also happen to know that just because analog cameras can theoretically pack in more data they also happen to have no way of resolving that data. Meaning blobs and pixels. Lenses help with this immensely. Same goes for digital though too.

camera specs:

http://reviews.cnet....7-33544745.html

Last couple of minutes are the best for illustrating my point on primate footage.

Edited by Woodswalker

I dont want to talk cameras at all =) Was trying to point out that video is better than a story. Not to mention you probably wont see that squatch around there anytime soon. You are out in the field. I salute you and thank you for efforts.

Bill Munns weighed in about the most recent reel sent to Mike Rugg re: Roger Patterson's marketing and that film was NOT super 16, that makes me question whether the PGF was super 16 either? I'd like to hear it from Bill Munn's mouth, or you're comparing apples and oranges, what the difference between 16 and super 16 is would be within his purview.

Huh? I don't think anyone here said the PGF was shot on Super 16. I just linked to the first bit of info I came across that suited the purpose intended. Is Bill Munn the only person on Earth who can tell us the difference between 16mm and Super 16? Visually the aspect ratio is different (1.66 vs 1.85), and it has a magnetic strip for audio equipped cameras. Either has a higher resolution than 1080p.

Consider this. If those 9 shots had been from a good camera instead of a good shotgun... A video shot from 20-50 yards on a good camera in full daylight would have produced superior to PGF quality footage.

Being that the subject was facing away from them, and within a couple seconds of disappearing from the field of view, I respectfully disagree. Would it have been cool to see that two seconds of footage? Sure. Of course it would be better to have 1-2 seconds to watch versus the alternative. But that footage would only be interesting as long as you firmly believe that Colyer is not one of the thousands of hoaxers out there. 99.9% of folks on Youtube would go on and on about it being fake.

You have my respect, but you were out there being "cowboys".

Awesome, I need to learn how to execute such elegantly genteel backhanded "compliments". Like "Wow, you look like you've lost so much weight, and that circus tent you are wearing really highlights your eyes."

Edited by Irish73

Guest crabshack

Those shots were fired last year, much more activity happened this year after the shots were fired. One could argue that the shooting incident helped.

Oh pissed'em off now they hunt the humans, lol

BFF Patron
Huh? I don't think anyone here said the PGF was shot on Super 16. I just linked to the first bit of info I came across that suited the purpose intended. Is Bill Munn the only person on Earth who can tell us the difference between 16mm and Super 16? Visually the aspect ratio is different (1.66 vs 1.85), and it has a magnetic strip for audio equipped cameras. Either has a higher resolution than 1080p.

Maybe so but Bill Munns is a known quantity and been here for years. I'll trust his expertise in this matter before other's not so well known here than you.

Oh pissed'em off now they hunt the humans, lol

Well if they did, it would go a long way in proving their existence. A TBRC/Wood Ape war would be great TV. I think it's pretty clear by now that they didn't hold a grudge about the shots fired. They had a year to do something about it and didn't.

Those shots were fired last year, much more activity happened this year after the shots were fired. One could argue that the shooting incident helped.

You could, but there are other environmental pressures at work also. The drought in that area was pretty bad this year and there's other activity in the region that could also be effecting them.

I think it's pretty clear by now that they didn't hold a grudge about the shots fired. They had a year to do something about it and didn't.

Agreed. I'm not even sure they understand what being shot at means, even though it appears as though one of them got at least winged last year.

• 1 year later...

In reading much of this thread, IMO, there are several parallels to the infamous Louisiana Hunt of January, 2003.

The Plan...went out the window when the shot was fired.

Distracting Factors...caused a diminishment of cohesiveness to stay on misssion.

Follow-up was truncated/adulterated.

One facet of this discussion that has not been brought up and I think it is something that should be considered.  It has been said that a wounded animal is much more dangerous.  From one story I read about the shooting incident, blood was found the following day on some rocks along a nearby creek to the shooting site, suggesting at least one shot had made a hit, but didn't drop the target.  What ever a person believes they are, you likely had a wounded subject out there that could be dangerous to others.  People like unsuspecting land owners, hikers, campers or whoever.

These subjects just might retaliate, not connecting the dots of who it was that originally attack them.  Something I think should be considered by those planning on obtaining a specimen. 

One facet of this discussion that has not been brought up and I think it is something that should be considered.  It has been said that a wounded animal is much more dangerous.  From one story I read about the shooting incident, blood was found the following day on some rocks along a nearby creek to the shooting site, suggesting at least one shot had made a hit, but didn't drop the target.  What ever a person believes they are, you likely had a wounded subject out there that could be dangerous to others.  People like unsuspecting land owners, hikers, campers or whoever.

These subjects just might retaliate, not connecting the dots of who it was that originally attack them.  Something I think should be considered by those planning on obtaining a specimen. 

Seems like I just read a story about a massive bear on Kodiak Island that had been shot by a Forest Official, bear had .38 special bullets already in it and had eaten 1 or 2 people by the time the Official gunned it down. I guess they figured the guy(A hiker) that got eat unloaded that pathetic pee shooter into the bear, pissed it off, and it went on a rampage. Shoot to kill if your gonna shoot at all, a freakin 38 isn't a thing to be carrying in the woods for protection(Whether from bear or man) if you ask me, just a gun for coons and possum.

IMO, they might even know who fired the shot and look for the opportunity to retaliate.  Maybe, D.C. could be used as "bait"?

Reason for this comment is the third night (night after the shooting) of the infamous Louisiana Hunt, two people remained at the "campsite" which was ~1 mile from the shooting location. Allegedly, during that night they were surrounded, screamed at with a rock/log throwing session ensuing. They quickly loaded up and retreated to the front gate of the property which had ~400 yards of open pasture between it and the forest, stood guard (screaming was still ongoing) until daylight and left.