The Echo Incident

Guest parnassus

I am NO KILL. I am also no zoo, no aquatic shows with sick dolphins, no feeding the giraffes, and all the sad and sick situations that we often read about in the newspaper. Too late for a lot of wildlife and that is sick.

I'm curious why the owner says that the hairy people are "nice" and then is complacent when the gunfire commences???? What is the answer to this question? Is the owner kill or no kill?

Excellent question Sunflower! At this point it sounds like they may be pro-kill, but who knows?

As long as no humans are killed, I'll be thankful for that, as to killing a BF, Just for me personally, I could not do it unless forced by being attacked or attacking my family.

I'm not pro-kill, I hope someone discovers a recently deceased BF, and then laws can be passed to protect them.

I think that these efforts of Ketchum and the other projects leading towards disclosure could bring about national and local protection for this species. At least I sincerely hope so.

so

why would you stagger them,after you shoot,the animal is to run and be farther away,buck shot is for close range,so that would not make any sense to load it staggered.

so what your saying is when ever anyone hears a gun shot in the woods that is close to them, could shoot back at them ? you are extremely misinformed.the shots were not even in

there direction.and even if they, were they would have to prove that they were trying to harm them and had no other alliterative but to return fire.

I would stagger them because this sounds like an oppurtunity that had a slug popped into the chamber sooner, either a dead sasquatch or a greater wound cavity could have resulted which would have generated more evidence. Of course I defer to the people in the field that loaded it for having their own logic, maybe they thought the buckshot would be more effective than it was.

As far as the return fire? It is a real danger, the man reported a machine gun burst possibly from druggies, yes they rounds didn't go towards them, but it made them jumpy enough to exit in a hurry and jumpy people are dangerous. I know you can never totally close an area off from outsiders wandering in, I'm just saying extra caution maybe needed.

Like I said, it was a great plan, just didn't work to specs. Hopefully next time it occurs it goes off much better, if there is a next time.

This is a true story. Last weekend we were out in the country enjoying a gorgeous day. We were on a county road not that far from town and saw a medivac helicopter taking off in front of us. I got the binoculars up fast enough to see the side of it and verified. The intersection had a country school and in the parking lot was an ambulance and several civilian cars and an SUV. We knew that whatever had just happened was serious.

Next day it was confirmed. One of our neighbors out there was a passenger in a car when a bullet came through her window. It richoceted off the window, shattered her jaw, then went through her shoulder. She will, I have no doubt, be in for an enormous amount of reconstructive surgery and rehab. I'm waiting to hear after a week how she is doing but don't know details. The shooter was target practicing. He came forward but the damage he caused is horrific. I can't imagine how he feels....but when in doubt, don't effin shoot. :mad:

How stupid to be shooting where the round could hit someone. He should have known better, even most kids would know that. I hope he gets jail time for it.

Edited by Biggie

Sweetsusiq asked:

Is it possible to have night vision also so you can see what's happening at night, and could that also be recorded?

Then Bippo answered:

At the moment, there's no night vision equipment as versatile as a GoPro Hero. Even the smaller and very expensive 3rd gen units are much larger than a GoPro. While you can mount them to your head and over your eyes, you need to manually refocus to see near versus far meaning if you can see the ground in front of you you can't see very far away and if you can see far away, you can't see where you're walking. Also, the units don't record video (though they can be mated with separate video recorders). We have some of the most advanced units you can buy and they're very, very good, but they're not good enough to use like a GoPro.

This is the one I have: http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/freeship/MINI-14-Pinnacle

Attached are some photos I took by placing my iPhone's camera against the viewfinder of the NV unit. You can see that it allows fantastic visibility in the dark, but it's not a set up that you could use to record an image quickly.

No, nobody on the Echo Team found blood, hair, or tissue. It's hard for me to say how far it is from Daryl's encounter to the creek (which is as far as they could track it), but I'd say it's up to a hundred yards.

Sweetsusiq responds:

Thank you Bippo, I sincerely appreciate your kind response, and I happily gave you a daily point. :wub: Your response was kind, informative, and thoughtful.I think that hubby may be receiving some of this stuff for Christmas, and of course he'll allow me to use it :thumbsup::whistle: I may be a blond, but I'm not a dumb blond ( at least not too often) :whistle:)

How stupid to be shooting where the round could hit someone. He should have known better, even most kids would know that. I hope he gets jail time for it.

Let me try to help you out with this.

The area in where we operate is more than an hour from the highway down a dirt road. More than half that time is spent on what can only charitably be called a road and is really not much more than a trail. In fact, nearly every member of our group who goes in there comes out with some portion of their vehicle ripped off or dented. There are multiple locked gates you need to get past before you dead-end at the property. In the six weeks we there this summer, exactly two people were present at the same time. The two who unfortunately showed up at the very moment Daryl had his sighting. In all the years we've been down there (more than ten), it is overwhelmingly the case that we hardly ever see any other people. Practically never, unless the family is present. It is extremely remote.

Every time a weapon is discharged in the woods, it carries risk. However, this particular area must carry some of the lowest risk of any in the state of Oklahoma (or even the entire lower 48 states). There was no recklessness demonstrated by Daryl. Zero. You and others like you in this thread (or elsewhere on the internet) can continue to pretend like like there was, but you can take it from me, there wasn't.

If the actual conditions under which he took his shot were unacceptably risky, then surely all weapons fire in every wilderness area in the country should be outlawed.

Edited by bipto

This is a true story. Last weekend we were out in the country enjoying a gorgeous day. We were on a county road not that far from town and saw a medivac helicopter taking off in front of us. I got the binoculars up fast enough to see the side of it and verified. The intersection had a country school and in the parking lot was an ambulance and several civilian cars and an SUV. We knew that whatever had just happened was serious.

Next day it was confirmed. One of our neighbors out there was a passenger in a car when a bullet came through her window. It richoceted off the window, shattered her jaw, then went through her shoulder. She will, I have no doubt, be in for an enormous amount of reconstructive surgery and rehab. I'm waiting to hear after a week how she is doing but don't know details. The shooter was target practicing. He came forward but the damage he caused is horrific. I can't imagine how he feels....but when in doubt, don't effin shoot. :mad:

I think Biggie was commenting on Sunflowers post Bipto

OK, so there's been bigfoot activity somewhere in this vicinity for at least 10 years:

post-212-037851700 1320081412_thumb.jpg

Hair catchers, track plates, and game cams. Deploy these on the guy's property and the bigfoots will be "captured." Please don't tell me that the bigfoots will detect these things and avoid them. If a bigfoot walks across a trail at close range to a guy walking around with a shotgun, then said bigfoot can be detected by any of these technologies.

Hair catchers, track plates, and game cams. Deploy these on the guy's property and the bigfoots will be "captured." Please don't tell me that the bigfoots will detect these things and avoid them. If a bigfoot walks across a trail at close range to a guy walking around with a shotgun, then said bigfoot can be detected by any of these technologies.

With regard to the cameras, we think it's a combination of things. First, they don't work reliably. Even the expensive ones. We watched a bear walk in front of some and they didn't record it. They also don't reliable record *us* as we walk up to service them. Second, we think they may avoid them the same way coyotes and some other animals have been found to do.

With regard to the animal walking close to a guy with a gun, *I* think it may have been distracted by the unexpected visitors in their truck. It may have been focused on them or in their direction and not paying attention to the direction where our people were stationed. Remember, that weekend was near the beginning of our using a more proactive approach to investigating these sounds. Previous to that, we'd record where they we coming from but we wouldn't run over to investigate. It's entirely possible it didn't expect there to be anyone coming from the other direction.

Like I said above, when they're seen it's because they screwed up. This one screwed up.

I think Biggie was commenting on Sunflowers post Bipto

Now that you mention it, that's possible. If so, I apologize, though there are still a few comments earlier in the thread that it could apply to.

Edited by bipto

Let me try to help you out with this.

The area in where we operate is more than an hour from the highway down a dirt road. More than half that time is spent on what can only charitably be called a road and is really not much more than a trail. In fact, nearly every member of our group who goes in there comes out with some portion of their vehicle ripped off or dented. There are multiple locked gates you need to get past before you dead-end at the property. In the six weeks we there this summer, exactly two people were present at the same time. The two who unfortunately showed up at the very moment Daryl had his sighting. In all the years we've been down there (more than ten), it is overwhelmingly the case that we hardly ever see any other people. Practically never, unless the family is present. It is extremely remote.

Every time a weapon is discharged in the woods, it carries risk. However, this particular area must carry some of the lowest risk of any in the state of Oklahoma (or even the entire lower 48 states). There was no recklessness demonstrated by Daryl. Zero. You and others like you in this thread (or elsewhere on the internet) can continue to pretend like like there was, but you can take it from me, there wasn't.

If the actual conditions under which he took his shot were unacceptably risky, then surely all weapons fire in every wilderness area in the country should be outlawed.

A little help in return. You can pay attention to the thread before you smart off to someone. My post was clearly a reply to Sunflower's post....you see....the one right above my previous post....hence lacking the need of quoting her post in my reply. Sometimes we miss the obvious, including myself. ;)

With respect, I think the TBRC has led the field in terms of deploying technology like: hair catchers, track plates and game cams; although I believe their main game cam project is located in the Big Thicket area of Texas rather than Oklahoma. And yes, it is very frustrating that all this tech has not produced conclusive results by now.

I am impressed by the disparate collection of groups that continue to research this area of Oklahoma and keep on going back. I am not wholly convinced that the creature exists outside of folklore, but it is these relatively small, isolated 'hotspots' in the southern states that intrigue me the most. Small, that is, in comparison to a wilderness like the PNW and much of the Rockies.

With luck, it is one of these isolated habitats that will finally provide us with the proof we need. They can run, but they can't hide...... forever :unsure: .

I have visited the USA many times and have been struck by the relative ease of finding a black bear say, in New Jersey, compared to Washington. This is because the amount of prime bear country in NJ is minuscule compared to WA and the animals are concentrated within a small geographical area.

By extending the same rationale, the Wood Ape might eventually give up its secrets.

Like I said above, when they're seen it's because they screwed up. This one screwed up.

Right. If these things exist, then occasionally they screw up. If they screw up, they can be collected, either lethally, or with a camera, track plate, hair catcher, etc. Those unreliable game cameras you referenced have produced some stunning photos of the world's rarest mammals over the past few years.

Those unreliable game cameras you referenced have produced some stunning photos of the world's rarest mammals over the past few years.

I'm not sure what pictures you're talking about or what kinds of cameras were used to collect them, but I can say *our* cameras have not captured the animal we're looking for.

I believe their main game cam project is located in the Big Thicket area of Texas rather than Oklahoma.

That was the case for quite a while, but for the past few years all our cameras have been deployed in Oklahoma.

Edited by bipto

At the moment, there's no night vision equipment as versatile as a GoPro Hero. Even the smaller and very expensive 3rd gen units are much larger than a GoPro. While you can mount them to your head and over your eyes, you need to manually refocus to see near versus far meaning if you can see the ground in front of you you can't see very far away and if you can see far away, you can't see where you're walking. Also, the units don't record video (though they can be mated with separate video recorders). We have some of the most advanced units you can buy and they're very, very good, but they're not good enough to use like a GoPro.

This is the one I have: http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/freeship/MINI-14-Pinnacle

Attached are some photos I took by placing my iPhone's camera against the viewfinder of the NV unit. You can see that it allows fantastic visibility in the dark, but it's not a set up that you could use to record an image quickly.

No, nobody on the Echo Team found blood, hair, or tissue. It's hard for me to say how far it is from Daryl's encounter to the creek (which is as far as they could track it), but I'd say it's up to a hundred yards.

Oh My, That is a fabulous camera, and I'm so thankful that something that fabulous and pertinent to BF research is available to those who can afford them and would be able to get some really good use out of that camera.

BTW, Thank you for this forum.

I love being here, and this site has the greatest people ever on it. :wub:

One of my first thoughts when I wake up is:"I wonder what's happening at BFF?" :thumbsup: and then I wonder if a BF has been captured, or a body discovered,or recovered.. :whistle:

Hope springs eternal in my heart of hearts, and I suspect that the members here all pretty much feel the same as I do.

Major hugs and sincere thanks to you, and the forum Mods who do such a great job here... :wub: