Scariest Sasquatch Encounters You've Read/heard

Scarecrow

Admin

Here is Jan's gas station account.

http://www.ghostplace.com/threads/through-the-fog.2492/

Ironically, back in the late '90's or early 2000's, we drove past there on a trip home one year. I was unaware of Jan's incidents until much later. It was closed at the time and it was in a fairly desolate area. Even during the day, the area does not get much traffic. We used to have a gas station near us that had the same kind of service building. I can attest, they are very small, the room in back is not large at all, and there is nowhere to hide out of view of the windows in front.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether this one is scary, but it is indeed very strange.

As the story goes, in 1938 British Columbia, a man was hunting in the woods with his dog, the dog suddenly picked up a scent and went bounding and barking off, it followed the scent to a large stack of logs and branches hidden behind heavy brush, the hunter immediately noticed both the odd location and size of the log pile, and it's revolting odor. But the dog had already got inside the brush pile, and was fighting with something inside. The hunter heard a shrieking sound coming from the log, then both his dog and the creature came tumbling out of the log pile. The creature inside was a naked, filthy white boy, covered in dirt and with very long hair. The boy screamed as the dog attacked him, and the hunter immediately called the dog off, before the hunter could even check if the boy was wounded, a rumbling scream came roaring through the forest. The dog cowered, and tried to run away. Then, the hunter saw it, a massive black hair covered shape charging through the trees directly at him. He lost his nerve, turned and ran, as he fled he heard the creatures rumbling scream again. The man ran for miles absolutely terrified, his dog too had run off into the woods. The man got his bearings and found his way back to logging camp, the dog was never seen again.

I read this report from an old newspaper on a sightings page, the website has since been taken down but i remember this story vividly, the hunter described what his dog attacked as definitely a human boy, white, skinny with very long hair and incredibly filthy, but definetley human. Whatever came charging to the boys apparent rescue, however was not. What was a young boy doing naked out in the depths of the British Columbia woods, why would a bigfoot apparent protect him, and why would a hunting dog attack something obviously human?

• 2 months later...

Bigteddy, thats a pretty amazing story. I could imagine thats what happens to some of the kids that go missing in the forest. Isn´t it known that people grow hair when they´re naked outdoors for a long time? There are a lot of cases in described in David Paulides book that involve missing children and the sheading of clothing. Often the clothing is found neatly folded.

this is a great thread! I don't know if I was encountering BF or not, but it certainly makes meI wonder what if? At the age of 5 or so, we were living with my grandparents. ( my mom and siblings ) due to my parents separation. My grandparents lived waaaay out in the country along the red river. The kind of out in the country where you are miles from a paved road. ( all dirt and sand! lol ) I was horribly afraid to sleep in my room at night because I would see things in my window looking at me. I told my grandpa they looked like cavemen and werewolves. To make me feel better, he would take his gun make a round of the house, and come back telling me everything was fine. As I mentioned they lived very close to the river and the house was surrounded by woods on three sides. I don't remember what these "things" looked like vividly, but I do remember they were dark, almost like I was seeing a shadow of a caveman. Hard to explain and through a child's eyes you know. I was so terrified these things would come to my window my mom thought I had a bed wetting problem and often she would wake up with me crawled in a ball asleep at her bedroom door. Even during the day the woods scared me at the back of the house and I dared not go in there without my brother.

It was long ago, but I have certainly never forgotten that fear I felt there.

• 1 year later...

Not sure about TBRC, but it can be found here:http://www.falfiles....921&perpage=122and here:http://www.ar15.com/...21_.html&page=2and here:http://www.ak47.net/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=762310&page=6From the first link, there is this story, which to me is downright terrifying. I had seen it before and had forgotten about it....Back in the winter of 2001 my youngest son and I were on our way from Boise,Idaho to Medford,Oregon.We had taken a car trailer to his old place in Boise in order to haul his non-running Jeep to his new place in Medford.We hit an area of heavy snow in the southern Cascades around 2:00 a.m.It took 45 minutes or so to get down the mountain.We had,of course been drinking coffee to stay alert.About 25 miles west of the pass it became obvious that the last few quarts of coffee had to be drained.We stopped at a wide spot in the road near a summer tourist haunt,deserted in winter.There is a gas station and ice cream joint on the west side of the road,closed this time of year,and no town or settlement within 30 miles.This is tall timber country,and unsettled.Across the road is a small parking area for the ice cream joint.It is paved and about 200 ft.wide and 80 ft.deep.I pulled in and as I stepped out with .45 on hip,it occurred to me in a flash that grabbing the 590 Mossy would be good.As we walked to the far end of the area to be well off the road,the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end.The area directly to our front was open with a depth of 50 yards and a width of 100 yards.The night was clear and cold,8-10 inches of snow on the ground,and with a moon almost full,so we could see quite well.While standing and taking a leak,with son about 15 ft.to my right I saw,as if springing from the earth in front of us across the open area 10 or 12 creatures moving RAPIDLY back and forth in sort of a Thatch weave pattern.These things,not human men,were close to 7 ft.tall,thin,bipedal with long arms,medium length gray fur, and damned fast on their feet.I brought the shotgun up and slid the safety off,as son was drawing his .45.I don't know if I can adequately explain the overwhelming feeling of menace,but here goes.I had been operating on pure instinct since I had stepped from the pickup,the rotten feeling hit me a split second before the things arrived,the feeling?,instinct?, was that we were prey,and subject to a very bad death,and to be slaughtered and eaten,not a logical process,gut feeling and massively overwhelming.As they were moving about in front of us,more appeared and mixed among them,all the while running about fast in front of us.Son and I were backing toward the truck,I WOULD NOT present my back to them,and some of them peeled off right and left in an encirclement movement.They were rolling in fast from the sides now,I could smell and feel their presence.We got to the truck loaded on adrenaline and ready to kill,as we both knew we were in grave danger.We piled into the truck,locked doors.I had keys out and ready,as my butt neared the seat, I had the engine lit and trans.in gear and gas pedal mashed in one motion.Adrenaline is great stuff!As we fled,yes fled,something VERY close by let out a ululating scream of rage,and pain.I believe one or more of the group had gotten really close to us in their pursuit and I ran over the foot of one of them,yeah they were that close.We rolled onto the highway and I told son to watch the bed of the pickup as well as the trailer,he already was indexed to the rear with the shotgun.We hauled ass for at least 20 miles before the feeling of grave danger started to abate. The feeling that nailed both of us,as we discussed soon afterward,was one of being prey,and soon to be slaughtered and eaten.I am not easily led,and neither believe or disbelieve all the bigfoot,ghost and werewolf stuff,in fact I am skeptical. Son was speaking with a coworker about 6 months later who had grown up in Prospect,Oregon,about 30 moles south of Union Creek where the incident took place.He asked Jake if he had ever heard of any strange goings-on in the area.Jake went ashy white and pretty much retold the above tale.He says to avoid the place at night.A family friend,a 25 yr.retired cop not given to flights of fancy and an excellent observer, had a tale very similar from a year before.I told my wife of this event of course,she looked at me at the beginning as though I had developed a 3rd eyeball in the center of my forehead.That was from shock,she did believe me,but did not wish to hear any details.She said the tale gave her chills.Me too,as I write this,hair on back of neck and forearms is sticking up.I have NOT gone back to explore,and would not without a large group of shotgun and flamethrower equipped men with me. Son and I are both sane,sober persons,and not taken to hysteria.We were wide,VERY wide awake as things transpired.We saw and smelled what was there.As a sidebar neither of us heard footfalls from the creatures.They were silent until i hurt one as we were getting the Hell out of there.To my knowledge,and I have researched,there is nothing that matches these creatures,unless one considers old legends and folk tales of were creatures. To conclude,I have to fall back on Elmer Keiths famous line,"Hell,I was there"best regards, Mike M.The prelude to link #1 is pretty chilling as well. All the links have some pretty creepy stuff. Enjoy!!!!!!

Oldie but goodie right here, and right before Halloween 2014

I guess you have to do a little research into the incident to come to the conclusion of this one being

a Sasquatch or in this case a Meng, but it would be the 1959 Russian expedition of students that were

missing and then found dead.  A special called the Yeti, the Russian killer lives, or something to that

effect went into a bit of the timeline, and revealed some interesting photo's, one of which showed a Sasquatch

like creature apparently stalking the group.  The students tent, perched on an isolated area of the high ground

had been cut from the inside, slits that pointed toward the forest below them, as if to see what was coming.

Their bodies later found half clothed and as if fleeing from something.  Several found frozen to death, and several

severely beaten and disfigured.  Some account for the situation as a bomb blast, but it makes sense that

it was rather an attack something on the order of ape canyon, but this time the Sasquatch succeeded in

getting the campers out into the open and dispatched of them, grizzly and gruesome to say the very least.

Evidence that it could have been Sasquatch was the photo as well as large bipedal footprints found near the

tent soon after, but also the manner of injuries.  The blows were so forceful as to be pronounced a compelling

force of nature, not of human origin.  Well it could be the best documented case of Sasquatch killing humans

and leaving evidence, but we know that the authorities would never admit to it, the area was closed and restricted

after that.  Stories still abound to possible causes, UFO, Missle Testing, but the Photo and prints are the best

clue.

LCB-

At the start of the expedition they took photos of each other and towards the end it was photos of the surrounding forest and the "thing" following them.

Something progressively went wrong for them....

Thanks frap I thought I had explained the photo, but yes it was a large bi-pedal figure tracing them.  It was the second to the last photo taken

on the trip, the last one was of strange lights approaching.  While I have no explanation for the strange lights, some have reported that when

confronting a Sasquatch.  I guess the idea of non-reflecting eye shine (sometimes described as a beam of light) could account for the lights coming.  The gas station story was quite interesting to say the least, I did my share of overnights at a similar gas station and could totally relate.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Almost forgot about this one. Being a hunter these reports rattle me pretty good! smile.gif

Stalked in Dallas County

Thursday, January 01, 1998

Stalked in Dallas County

By Zack Glover

Alabama Game and Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A flurry of recent reports from deer hunters in Dallas County have sportsmen wondering if they are the hunters or the hunted. Here’s the story behind these strange events.

The story of the strange encounters first made headlines a couple of years ago, but the first man to lay eyes on the eerie creature, which has members of his hunting club scared of the dark, saw the monster well before he decided to share his story. Even today, he would rather not reveal his name -- so sure is he that skeptics will poke fun.

But Greg is serious, and he's not one to stretch the truth. Or at least that's how his hunting mates describe him. By the time he came forward with the story, others would have tales of similar scares.

This modern-day legend began in 1993.

Greg first noticed the smell, which was sort of musky and strong. Then he saw something moving. By the time the shadowy figure ambled to within 15 yards of his tree stand, he'd heard it as well.

The Montgomery man wasn't at all sure of what he was seeing, but he knew he didn’t want a closer look.

The deer hunter even dismissed the idea of pulling out his flashlight because he didn't want the thing to know where he was. Greg was scared, as frightened as he'd ever been.

He'd climbed into his stand that afternoon three years ago, hoping to get a shot at a deer with his bow. He knew he would probably not see anything until the day's last hour. He'd sat in the same area earlier in the season, and the deer didn't start moving until right before dark. What he eventually saw, however, was no deer.

"I started smelling something first," he remembers. "It was definitely different, sort of musky. It really stank. Then I saw something come walking down the trail real slow. He was walking upright."

The hunter could not see well enough in the approaching dusk to determine what was walking below him, but he can definitely recall its shape, how it smelled and the peculiar sounds it made.

It was dark-colored, about 6 feet tall or more, walked upright and had legs longer than any bear he'd seen in captivity. Greg also had the sense that the thing was eating something.

"It was making these little noises," he continued. "I couldn't hear it until he came within 15 yards -kind of a popping sound, but kind of nasal and muffled."

The hunter wanted very much to get down out of the tree and back to his truck, but he dared not move until the thing had moved out of sight. Eventually, it did meander away -three hours after all traces of daylight had vanished.

"I was scared. I didn't know what it was," he explained. "I wanted to get out of there. I didn't want .to come down with him still there."

At the base of the tree, knee-high reeds covered the ground like quills from a giant porcupine. He knew he was going to make a lot of noise leaving, but he yearned for the security of his truck's cab. So he climbed down as quietly as possible.

As he neared the edge of some open woods, separated from the reeds by a small creek, he heard something approaching slowly from the rear.

The footfalls were also in the patch of reeds somewhere behind him.

He wasted no time in crossing the creek into the open woods, where he could move quickly and even more quietly. That's when he heard the thing almost directly behind, practically covering the same ground he'd just crossed. Greg then broke into a run.

For three years, he told only one person about that encounter, his father-in-law, and only because his wife's daddy required some kind of explanation of why he'd been forced to wait almost four hours past nightfall for his son-in-law to return to their truck. Otherwise, he says, he would have kept the story to himself.

Until 1996, that is, when another member of the same hunting club returned to camp white-faced and trembling. When Greg's friend explained what he'd just been through, the silence was broken.

Brian had been hunting with his bow very close to the same area where Greg had seen "the creature." The land is close to where Lowndes and Dallas counties meet, south of U.S. Highway 80. It was an afternoon hunt and he was watching two small bucks feed under his stand.

"All of a sudden, deer started snorting and blowing all around me. And the two bucks started running around in circles," said Brian, also from Montgomery. "All the deer were just going crazy, Then they ran off,"

Brian was left second-guessing his decision not to shoot one of the bucks, a 6-pointer, when he heard something walking down a ridge toward him. He could not smell anything, as his friend had three years earlier, but whatever it was, the thing was making a popping sound-like teeth clamping shut, over and over again.

"I wish I could describe it better, but what I can say is it was like a popping sound, only more nasal," he said, trying unsatisfactorily to imitate it. "I've never heard anything like it."

Brian frequently travels to Florida to hunt wild hogs, and he is familiar with the popping sounds a toothy boar often makes when it's cornered and mad. He's also hunted bears in Canada and in the western United States.

Still the sound he heard that day in Alabama was nothing like he's encountered during his other travels. It scared him so much that he grabbed his only weapon, an arrow, with his free hand. In the other, he was holding his small flashlight. It was smaller than he'd ever before realized.

The creature kept coming closer, but stayed just out of sight. Finally, well after dark, it had passed far enough away for the man to feel comfortable coming down the tree. By the time Brian reached the ground, however, the thing began coming again, following him through the woods.

He ran, pointing his too-small flashlight in front of him and clutching the arrow with his other fist. But, he never saw the creature.

When he reached the camp house that night, he told of his encounter solemnly, then packed his bags and left -- abandoning his plans for a weekend hunt. The next time he returned, a couple of weeks later, he had a new flashlight. The new one was the size of a horse's leg.

"Be careful when you ask him about it," a friend warned, later in the season. "If he thinks you're not serious, he may not tell about it."

A month later, a third hunter was almost ready to hang up his gun following a close encounter with "a creature" within a half-mile of the previous incidents. According to Jim Mason, one of the owners of Southern Sportsman Hunting Lodge, a former guest was frightenned while hunting a tract adjacent to Brian's and Greg's property, a section now known by other members of their hunting club as "booger bottom."

Mason said the man got out of his stand after dusk and started walking to his rendezvous point to wait for his guide. The road itself was overgrown, and the land flanking it was choked with high grass and young pines.

"Something in the bushes growled a real deep, low growl. Three times," Mason said. "That boy from Mississippi was really scared. He said it was too deep-sounding to be a coyote or a dog. And although he pointed his flashlight at it, he couldn't see anything. The brush was too thick."

The man's guide heard the story first.

"Whatever it was, it scared the heck out of him," remembers Troy Anderson of Selma, who served as the man's guide that day. "He said it was too deep a growl to be a dog, more guttural sounding.

"He was so scared, he scared me," continued Anderson, adding that the man was pale and shaking when the guide arrived to pick him up that night. The guest declined the opportunity to revisit the site the next morning; despite the fact that he saw several does and bucks while hunting there.

"I've been guiding for five years, and I've never had anybody refuse to go back there. That's a real hotspot," Anderson said. "But he was through with it. I had to drive him all the way to his stand (on a different parcel) the next morning."

Mason said the man took some ribbing at the lodge that night, but he never departed from his story.

"He was dead serious. He didn't cut a smile all night, and he wasn't talking very much either.

These are the tales of just three close encounters, all between 1993 and 1996. Other club members, including Greg's father-in-law, have also heard or smelled the creature.

Guin, Greg’s father-in-law, was sitting over a green field one evening when a handsome 8-pointer strolled into rifle range. He wasted little time in squeezing the trigger. But what happened next caused him to abandon the deer, at least temporarily.

After the shot, Guin heard something roar and begin popping its teeth - no more than 50 or 60 yards in the trees behind the fallen buck. The ruckus was so close that, at first, he thought the deer had somehow uttered the sound. About the time he realized the unlikelihood, the invisible jaws slammed shut again, sending shivers up and down Guin's sweaty spine.

He was so shaken by the sounds that he tried, to slither down the ladder to the shooting house without making a sound -with the thought of reaching his parked truck as quickly as he could manage it -- but a bottle of cover scent fell out of his pocket. The bottle, of course, hit every rung on the ladder, revealing his escape.

Then the creature sounded again, and Guin almost ran to his truck. He didn't drive up to the field; he went back to camp. Only later, after all the other hunters had returned, they went as a group to collect Guin's deer. The buck was there, but the was no sign of the monster.

Rumors are circulating to the effect that the strange happenings are not limited to that corner of Dallas County. Some hunters even claim to have the answers.

At least one explanation has been offered, but Alabama's game officials say it isn't true. A Dallas County venison processor has been credited with saying he's heard that the state released 150 black bears in the vicinity sometime within the past few years. However, according to David Hayden, assistant chief of the Game and Fish Division's wildlife section, that's a popular rumor that simply isn't true.

"We don't do that," Hayden said flatly.

While Game and Fish officials will respond to rare reports of bear sightings, and occasionally capture one that has been declared a nuisance or endangered, the animal is usually released within the remote Mobile-Tensaw Delta. That's the only area where bears are known to exist in Alabama, he said.

Hayden says his division has received no reports of bears or unidentifiable creatures in Dallas or Lowndes counties in recent years. But he is not surprised to hear of them.

The biologist says people from across Alabama have been reporting strange sightings for several years. They have ranged from wolves and cougars to kangaroos.

Even an African lion, once the pet of a Mobile woman, was found wandering the state's lower reaches. Hayden, however, says there are no known populations of wild wolves or kangaroos. And the last confirmed sighting of a cougar came in 1965, although the cats can be found in parts of Florida.

But there are a few black bears in the Heart of Dixie, not that he's ready to say they're roaming parts of Dallas and Lowndes counties. He's not saying they aren't either.

"We do have some bears, but most reports outside the Mobile-Tensaw Delta are not true. Or at least we haven't been able to substantiate them." he said. While bears are considered a protected species in Alabama, one that cannot be harvested legally, the Game and Fish Division is not interested in repopulating the state, he added.

Hayden, one of the top biologists on the state's payroll, says it is possible for a black bear to pop its teeth, but it is not common for them to pursue or attack anything larger than a deer's fawn. They avoid humans. Moreover, bears don't make a habit of walking upright.

"She'll eat whatever is available: mice, shrews, moles, grubs and carrion. But they're mostly vegetarians," he said.

As for the musky stench? Hayden says that bears normally don't stink. But he remembers the smell of a particular large male when he was a graduate student that djd have a strong odor. Still, based on the above descriptions of events, Hayden isn't sure about anything. It might be a bear, but the antics are unusual.

"It might be possible. Not much surprises me anymore. It's the most likely explanation," he offered. "But I haven't heard reports of a black bear following somebody .If it was, it could've been rabid."

Jack O'Connor, an accomplished outdoor writer for more than three decades, often wrote about bears. He'd hunted them in every corner of the continent.

"The average black bear is a shy, timid " (and) eternally wary fellow who seldom weighs much over 200 pounds," O'Connor once penned. "In most areas, he's so shy that he is almost as difficult to see unassisted by dogs as is a mountain lion."

O'Connor's description of the mostly nocturnal animal mirrors Hayden's observations.

"One whiff of human scent will generally send the black bear off like a scared rabbit, and he'd always rather run than fight," the wizened rifleman once wrote. "But if (a hunter) thinks he is afield in the haunts of a dangerous and mysterious monster, those woods will hold an excitement and magic for him.

No truer statement has ever been issued as far as the members of one Dallas County hunting club are concerned.

The size of their flashlights offers proof.

Rig416: There is a lot more to that report, and about some of the unreported facts @ http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/44275-some-field-reports/

• masterbarber locked this topic