Do You Really Want To Encounter Bf?

georgerm

EMU's and Ostrich were big business here at home in the 90's. There are still small farms that raise them for leather and very popular EMU jerky. Their feet can also be quite lethal I am told.

DSCF2687.jpg100_0797.jpgHere are a few pics from the NEK of Vermont that I meant to insert in my last post earlier. Not to derail the thread, but thought some might enjoy the pics. There is a lot of wilderness up there and it is a beautiful area, as well as snowmobilers paradise. To clarify my earlier position, I scan for trackways out of curiosity and for fun, I do not in any way believe that in a thousand years I would see a BF up here.

I put a few more pics in my intro as well.

I have an 07' RTX, I'm jonesn' to ride, pioneer is revalving the shocks, can't wait. I ride up on the hill a couple times a year,never saw tracks, but on apex's, your never goin slow enough to see them.biggrin.gif

Guest ajciani

The first time, I suspected that one of the big fellows was tailing me on the other side of some brambles. When it ripped down a tree limb and threw (or dropped) it into a stream I had just crossed, it confirmed my suspicions. Rather than go back and catch the big guy in the act, I kept walking.

The second time, I knew there was a biggie on the other side of the door. I played "asleep", in the hopes that it would stay there and keep tripping the motion activated camera. As it so happens, the camera was fail.

The third time, I was outside a cabin at the crack of dawn, just after the night time visitor had cleared itself off of the cabin porch. I was brushing my hair in the hopes that it might still be watching, and would get curious enough to come near the clearing. As I walked to the edge of the clearing, I heard it tromp off deeper into the forest. I did not follow, but mainly because I could see no way to get through the brambles. I did locate the way it left the clearing: right over a trail cam, which it knocked on its back. Again, nothing.

There have been two instances where I heard a sizable animal move down below a short cliff (in totally different locations). Once, I tried to be quite and still in the hopes that whatever it was would think "false alarm" and settle down; wrong, it vanished. The other I raced to the edge of the cliff to see if I could see anything, and I could; lots and lots of leaves.

I've seen several bears in my life in the wild. I have been in the water with large sharks, even got buzzed by a Great White once off Coronado and had a female Orca surface near our RIB, mouth agape only to be told by locals later that she likes to have her tongue scratched. Seeing animals at the zoo and on TV all your life can mentally prepare you for seeing them in the wild to a degree as well. But when you see a Sasquatch up close for the first time so many things that you thought you knew sort of go out the window. There was a time in my life that as a woodsmen and longtime soldier I could tell myself that I was unafraid of anything that walked. That if I was in the woods in the dark with my rifle, that I, Me, Myself was what should be feared by any living creature that happened to cross my path. I can no longer say that after being face to face with one at 90 feet. The mass, the power and the potential for violence if provoked..I was awestruck and fearful at the same time, because it saw me before I saw it, and if it had chosen to it could have ended me before I knew what happened. It did not want me there, it was threatening but did not advance toward me. it waited for me to egress. I may draw criticism for my analogy; it is admittedly somewhat poor, and I am not placing Sasquatch into the category of "monster" in such a way as to judge their species in toto. I still maintain that like all people and all animals there are bad eggs that are encountered that could certainly pose a threat to a human-being. But in my own mind, at my first daylight sighting I may as well have come upon a Werewolf. At the time it was the closest thing I could approximate it to. Not that it looked like something from "The Howling" but neither did it look like an oversized Gorilla or miniature King Kong either. I believe that they are as unique as you and I among themselves. I had watched all the TV specials, read as many books as I could find on Bigfoot. I was hooked by the famous In Search Of Episode. I had even witnessed a Sasquatch at 400 yards through a FLIR a few years before. But I was still not mentally prepared for what was looking back at me, almost daring me to take another step closer lol. I still mantain that we have something different down South. Leaner, more aggressive or territorial than what's in the PNW. I can't prove it, but I am not the only one who holds to this thought.

I agree that there is no real preparation for when you see a yowie, sasquatch etc. After earlier nearby encounters, though not yet having seen one fully in front of me, I had done as much research as I could about what I had encountered and what people knew or also experienced. When I saw one it truly was like something in the raw straight out of our deepest archetypal and mythological representation of the, well that creature we fear. Of course it is not a bad creature or evil etc or monster etc, but it looked like an aboriginal painting, just like the creatures painted of Dooligah and also out of western mythology. The one I saw was not the red haired colour I often read people describing. This was very very black, very tall with extremely wide shoulders reaching up to a high tree branch. I saw it thankfully from the road but it was not far from the road. This was a dirt road moving through a very thickly forested area from high country down to the coast. I will not forget it.

There are other creatures that you can get a fright from in various circumstances, I imagine bear would be frightening for someone who hasnt encountered one and even emu in a certain light when its really not normal to see them. I cant be sure for everyone but I can say that a yowie is so out of our common or considered ordinary realm, still in the mist of so much unknown, that perhaps the fear is quite own its own. :blink:

As to do i really want to encounter a yowie again, yes, absolutely. That feeling was scary yes but it was so amazing an experience and so awakening. Absolutely a profound experience connecting to a deeper world.

Edited by Encounter

I have an 07' RTX, I'm jonesn' to ride, pioneer is revalving the shocks, can't wait. I ride up on the hill a couple times a year,never saw tracks, but on apex's, your never goin slow enough to see them.biggrin.gif

Sure is pretty up in Vermont, I spent many days and nights at Fort Ethan Allen, mostly on cross-country skis. The soldiers from the 10th Mountain always seemed happy to have our Marines around to spar with : )

The last time I was there in was 2000, just before the world changed.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest SnoTraveler

Nice pics but with 80% forested land in that area why would you think you wouldn't have a good chance for a Bigfoot in the area? Historical precedence of sighting reports?

Mainly the lack of reports from this area on the BFRO and as discussed here in the sightings area, VT does not seem to generate much, if any, sightings. I've also been "looking" for tracks while sledding there for 20 years. It would be nice if a groomer operator was a member here and could chime in, they do 95% of their grooming at night in these mountains.

Barely any snow anywhere right now in the northeast, just have to be patient. I am hoping for a nice snowy February and will take several trips to the NEK. I do believe that a BF trackway could be noticed while sledding, I do cruise at slow speeds on occassion to enjoy the scenery. COgrizzly spotted one (two?) sets of tracks in Colorado from his machine. I wish he would chime in here with a recap of his sighting, I remember his story from the old forums.

Sure is pretty up in Vermont, I spent many days and nights at Fort Ethan Allen, mostly on cross-country skis. The soldiers from the 10th Mountain always seemed happy to have our Marines around to spar with : )

The last time I was there in was 2000, just before the world changed.

Vermont truly is a beautiful state, just about everywhere. Taxes are tough there and there is virtually no manufacturing left, so jobs are scarce. I would move there if there was work, but I am industrial electrician, so will stay put in NY. The wife and I plan on retiring in Vermont, in a small little cabin in the woods. :)

Thanx I did, and the sleds are nice too. You're lucky to have such a nice place to ride I hope someday you get us a picture of one or at least some tracks.

If I do, you folks will be the first to see them. I always carry a camera. I do notice that an awful lot of very well written sighting reports contain "I forgot my camera that day"................ <_<

Edited by SnoTraveler

I want to see one. However I do have concerns about safety. I've had some odd things happen while in the forest's here in Southern Oregon that make me believe in the possibilities of Bigfoot being real. I can only hope that an encounter would be peaceful, Friendly, and long enough for me to have the sense to get a photo.But even if I couldn't get my camera up slowly enough to not startle the encounter, then I'd at least know for myself the answer to the question, Does Bigfoot exist?

Ron

I dream of encountring a bf i go throgh times i feel like giveing up and throwing all the maps,note books that i have spent hours filling with bf infoin the garbage but i always come back because i know deep down in my heart that if i try ill see a bf or at leaet find something like a foot print that could reassure that what im searching for is still there.

If i was charged by an agressive i have faith that i would either stand my ground or dive out of the way it ould all depend on the situataition that led up too the charge

If you live near highway 7 in lower Texas, I suggest searching in that area. I saw a BF standing next to the DIRT uninhabited area of road we were traveling on. We were 5 miles in heading towards Arkansas from Houston when I saw it according to hubby. The area is sparsely inhabited, I remember no homes nor meeting any cars the entire time we were on that dirt road. It did not duck down until we were passing it otherwise I would not have even seen it.

I'd love it more than anything I can think of!!! How fantastic would that be?

I've been mock charged by elephants many times. You're not 100% sure it's a mock charge until it's over. I've had lions prowling the other side of the mosquito mesh of my tent. I've had a huge bull elephant browse for an hour on the tree that I was camping under, and put it's trunk up to the mesh of my tent to sniff me. I've sat down six inches from a puff adder. Scared? Who, me?

Of course I was. Scared witless. Momentarily... Then you get a grip, and take in the incredible experience and enjoy it for what it is: something truly wonderful. Surely it would be exactly the same with a sasquatch encounter?

Mike

Well, Yeah, You survived the experiences! These creatures are huge and some are seen to be nice and caring, then come other stories of violent scary encounters. Like Forest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get next time."

I urge caution, but then, I'm a female with little natural resources against a BF except running and screaming. :rolleyes:

After seeing how big they truly are, I can believe that I would run if I encountered one (after I regained consciousness from the faint of course..)

I did not realize their true size and I've only seen one and YIKES!!!

Our Suburban was no more than barely if even that mid-waist to low chest high on him. I did not see female breasts so I'm thinking it was a male.

I understand macho men, I'm surrounded by them, but I do urge caution.

I want to see one. However I do have concerns about safety. I've had some odd things happen while in the forest's here in Southern Oregon that make me believe in the possibilities of Bigfoot being real. I can only hope that an encounter would be peaceful, Friendly, and long enough for me to have the sense to get a photo.But even if I couldn't get my camera up slowly enough to not startle the encounter, then I'd at least know for myself the answer to the question, Does Bigfoot exist?

Ron

Ron

From your avatar it looks like you like to fly fish.Well with that alone can put you in places where these creatures may roam.If you ever do come in contact do not fear it but respect it.Let know you mean them no harm and if you get that feeling to leave then listen and leave.But the next time you go back leave them a gift like a fish.I say fish since that is what you are doing there.Share that food with them and respect them and their area.If you are not wanted they will let you know.Things one learns is on a constant and is not written but remembered. :) Enlightment is thru truth.

If you live near highway 7 in lower Texas, I suggest searching in that area. I saw a BF standing next to the DIRT uninhabited area of road we were traveling on. We were 5 miles in heading towards Arkansas from Houston when I saw it according to hubby. The area is sparsely inhabited, I remember no homes nor meeting any cars the entire time we were on that dirt road. It did not duck down until we were passing it otherwise I would not have even seen it.

Sweetsq

I was wondering about your sighting,Was your sighting more of seeing a strange object on the side of the road.See I am interested in this other side to these creatures that i have been exploring.I am very skeptical on this side of them but yet things have proven to me other wise.On your sighting did you ever get a feeling to look on the side of the road at the creature.Like some thing drew you to that object or made you look.See nothing happens by accident and this is what i am seeing with these creatures.Is this paranormal, no! but does reqiure further research in my opionion. :)

SusiQ,

there was nothing macho about any of my encounters with large African animals. I don't do macho....... I also don't mess with animals. These encounters are almost always on their terms, and the same would be so of most sasquatch sightings if reports are to believed. Just promise me one thing.........PLEASE don't run away!! Take a step or two backwards, slowly, without taking your eyes off the animal. That defuses most human/ animal interactions, and doesn't trigger the chase-&-kill reaction that all (known) carnivores have. Boy, I'd love to see someone kneel or squat in the presence of a sasquatch. It would be intruiging to guess what this submissive gesture would do. Even better if you could offer food. Anyway.....we're dreaming now!

Watch the end of

, and remember it if you ever come face to face with your big friend.

Mike

I gotta say that this is an awesome question to ponder. The sight of one changes lives. Sometimes it ruins lives. WHY do you want to see one is another crucial question to ask yourself,

Do I want to see one? I already did, and I want to see one again because they are so cool. So interesting. But why? Maybe because they are another kind of man, another species close to us, our cousins. I want to reach out to them. We are family. We belong together.

But you can't see them, so I take pictures.

(I wonder if our shrieking and running away hurts their feelings sometimes.)

How could they be some kind of man?

The one I saw was only man-like because it was standing on 2 legs/feet.It was huge, covered totally with thick black hair and stood oh about 9-10 feet tall! Really, how could that be a type of human male? :(

Not only do I want to see one but I want to develop a long term relationship with one or a family. I want to observe and record everything I see and perhaps trade gifts as the ancient Indian medicine men did. Would I be scared? Probably, I only go out alone anyways. I'm ready for anything.

How do you prepare for just anything?

These creatures have woodland skills that far surpass anything we have, including well trained woodmen who are better in the woods than at home IMHO

These animals seem to just disappear into the trees, and since they live there, I can imagine they are better than our best trackers/hunters, and we have some very top notch well trained survivalists, hunters, military men, and just all around manly man types here who have not been able to capture a decent glimpse of one yet.

It seems the best bets are accidental encounters for a sighting. That's how I had mine. :blink:

Sadly, Hubby would not stop, nor turn the suburban around. :(

However, He did mark the mileage into the area for me where I saw the BF, so I was able to tell any interested BF hunters where we encountered it.

I know how she felt having been followed by what I am pretty sure was one when I was lost for hours in the wilderness. Researchers say all the time Bigfoots are interested in women and children. But why is that? Because they marvel at those tiny hairless creatures, do they feel threatened by adult male humans or are they looking for an opportunity to abduct someone?

:unsure: They really do that? I thought those stories were all fables. :ph34r: They kidnap women and their children, or singular kidnapping of an individual?

Has that happened in the past 50 years or so?

How did it occur?

zigoapex, on 04 January 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Scariest animal I ever encountered, was a great horned owl, about an hour before sun up I was in a climbing treestand ,

You could barely see and this big black mass was headed right for me (there wings don't make noise) and it went to land on the branch in front of me,

I was screaming like a little school girl and the owl flew though the trees banging off branches. It took me about

15 minutes to get my heart to slow down. Needless to say, I didn't see another living thing all morning, never mind a deer.

That's funny! I wonder if your screams were reported as a possible Bigfoot?

I had a similar experience, but it was turkeys roosting in my stand tree. Didn't see them in the dark and they waiting until I was situated and everything was quiet before they started tearing the top of the tree up. Thank goodness for the safety harness or I might have taken a flying leap.

Another such experience is when I walked up on a full grown Emu in the predawn light. Seems some had gotten out of a pen nearby. I didn't scream because I couldn't. First one I had ever seen. Had to sit down for a minute after it squawked and tore out through the woods.

As for a BF encounter, sure I would like to have a sighting that leaves no doubt in my mind. I'm not sure if you could ever be fully prepared for a moment like that. They don't have wings, so maybe it wouldn't scare me too bad.

Hunting can be an adventure, however, camping can be a little harrowing apparently if I'm along. :blush:

We were camping(my first time camping ever) with another couple near Huntsville, Alabama in the fall with really cool nights and pleasantly cool to warm days next to a beautiful lake in the middle of no-where Alabama..

I was told the only thing to worry about were possibly snakes being out and about, and to keep an eye out for them. :rolleyes: Never ever tell me what I need to be a little worried about, because I don't understand a "little worried" at all.

As I laid on my single cot and kept an ear out for any dangers that could be close by, I noticed something on the ceiling hanging down over hubby. Thinking OMG, a snake is over hubby I gently touched him and quietly said "Don't move, there is a snake hanging over you from the top of the tent."

Word of advice here: never do that to anyone, much less my hubby!

Being a man and all that stuff hubby sat straight up and said "a snake"? I shrieked, jumped off my cot, and ran across the tent and jumped in my girlfriend's cot saying "there is a snake on the ceiling hanging over hubby".

Well, Flashlights were finally located and turned on to reveal that the snake hanging down was a loose tent tie used for something, and in the dark with breezes gently moving the tie down strap it looked just like a snake. :blink: It was a long time until hubby took me camping again.

He claims his heart is just not up to the adventure anymore, but we have had some sorta normal camping adventures. Since hubby is an Eagle Scout, he is very handy to have around when camping or hiking, well, really, he is always handy period, and he puts up with me and my misadventures really well. :D

He claims that I keep him entertained. :blush: What does that even mean?

zigoapex, on 04 January 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Scariest animal I ever encountered, was a great horned owl, about an hour before sun up I was in a climbing treestand ,

You could barely see and this big black mass was headed right for me (there wings don't make noise) and it went to land on the branch in front of me,

I was screaming like a little school girl and the owl flew though the trees banging off branches. It took me about

15 minutes to get my heart to slow down. Needless to say, I didn't see another living thing all morning, never mind a deer.

That's funny! I wonder if your screams were reported as a possible Bigfoot?

I had a similar experience, but it was turkeys roosting in my stand tree. Didn't see them in the dark and they waiting until I was situated and everything was quiet before they started tearing the top of the tree up. Thank goodness for the safety harness or I might have taken a flying leap.

Another such experience is when I walked up on a full grown Emu in the predawn light. Seems some had gotten out of a pen nearby. I didn't scream because I couldn't. First one I had ever seen. Had to sit down for a minute after it squawked and tore out through the woods.

As for a BF encounter, sure I would like to have a sighting that leaves no doubt in my mind. I'm not sure if you could ever be fully prepared for a moment like that. They don't have wings, so maybe it wouldn't scare me too bad.

Hunting can be an adventure, however, camping can be a little harrowing apparently if I'm along. :blush:

We were camping (my first time camping ever) with another couple near Huntsville, Alabama in the fall with really cool nights and pleasantly cool to warm days next to a beautiful lake in the middle of no-where Alabama..

I was told the only thing to worry about were possibly snakes being out and about, and to keep an eye out for them.

:rolleyes: Never ever tell me what I need to be a little worried about, because I don't understand a "little worried" at all.

As I laid on my single cot and kept an ear out for any dangers that could be close by, I noticed something on the ceiling hanging down over hubby.

Thinking OMG, a snake is over hubby I gently touched him and quietly said "Don't move, there is a snake hanging over you from the top of the tent."

Word of advice here: never do that to anyone, much less my hubby!

Being a man and all that stuff hubby sat straight up and said "a snake"?

I shrieked, jumped off my cot, and ran across the tent and jumped in my girlfriend's cot saying "there is a snake on the ceiling hanging over hubby".

Well, Flashlights were finally located and turned on to reveal that the snake hanging down was a loose tent tie used for something, and in the dark with breezes gently moving the tie down strap it looked just like a snake.

:blink: It was a long time until hubby took me camping again.

He claims his heart is just not up to the adventure anymore, but we have had some sorta normal camping adventures.

Since hubby is an Eagle Scout, he is very handy to have around when camping or hiking, well, really, he is always handy period, and he puts up with me and my misadventures really well. :D

He claims that I keep him entertained. :blush: What does that even mean?

I've seen several bears in my life in the wild. I have been in the water with large sharks, even got buzzed by a Great White once off Coronado and had a female Orca surface near our RIB, mouth agape only to be told by locals later that she likes to have her tongue scratched. Seeing animals at the zoo and on TV all your life can mentally prepare you for seeing them in the wild to a degree as well. But when you see a Sasquatch up close for the first time so many things that you thought you knew sort of go out the window. There was a time in my life that as a woodsmen and longtime soldier I could tell myself that I was unafraid of anything that walked. That if I was in the woods in the dark with my rifle, that I, Me, Myself was what should be feared by any living creature that happened to cross my path. I can no longer say that after being face to face with one at 90 feet. The mass, the power and the potential for violence if provoked..I was awestruck and fearful at the same time, because it saw me before I saw it, and if it had chosen to it could have ended me before I knew what happened. It did not want me there, it was threatening but did not advance toward me. it waited for me to egress. I may draw criticism for my analogy; it is admittedly somewhat poor, and I am not placing Sasquatch into the category of "monster" in such a way as to judge their species in toto. I still maintain that like all people and all animals there are bad eggs that are encountered that could certainly pose a threat to a human-being. But in my own mind, at my first daylight sighting I may as well have come upon a Werewolf. At the time it was the closest thing I could approximate it to. Not that it looked like something from "The Howling" but neither did it look like an oversized Gorilla or miniature King Kong either. I believe that they are as unique as you and I among themselves. I had watched all the TV specials, read as many books as I could find on Bigfoot. I was hooked by the famous In Search Of Episode. I had even witnessed a Sasquatch at 400 yards through a FLIR a few years before. But I was still not mentally prepared for what was looking back at me, almost daring me to take another step closer lol. I still mantain that we have something different down South. Leaner, more aggressive or territorial than what's in the PNW. I can't prove it, but I am not the only one who holds to this thought.

Well thanks for trying to explain it.

I have seen grizzly (coastal and interior/mountain) up close and had orcas surface nearby when in both a car topper and a 19 foot cabin cruiser (rubbed itself on the boat).

The only large North American animal I haven't seen in the wild is a polar bear (not all sub-species of every species to be clear).

I guess

It's just a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand will have to do.

I just don't understand (but I do own a jeep) :)

Guest rig416
Are those who never heard about BF and others who refuse to listen and believe the facts in a special category? Are they heading for a rude awakening in the woods if they are ever lucky enough to meet a BF?

Will their peace in the woods shatter during an encounter?

Are these the ones who then suffer from post stress syndrome?

We who study and search for BF; are we going to be able to enjoy and or withstand the stress during an encounter? Are we going to be able to take the right actions if the encounter goes bad? What do you think happens when an encounter goes bad? List 10 possibilities.

Losts of questions in your post...!

I think anyone who sees one has an awakening of sorts. It must 'leave a mark' to some degree.... This I would think is especially true if you have never heard of or do not believe in them in the first place.

If I ever saw one I am sure it would change how I look at the outdoors. The implications are wide ranging. People in general do not like the idea of not being in 100% control(safe) in their enviromment and such a creature does reshuffle the deck in that respect! At least in your head if not in reality...

Personally I don't know how it would affect me in the near or long term.

I have been close to bears on a couple occations and acted calm & logically during the encounters.

Sasquatch......well..... I would like to believe I would be as rational and calm but I think it would depend upon the circumstances. There is just to many variables to guess how the/any witness might react.

As far as when things go bad....In the outdoors my experience is that things are generally okay if not good even when you might be in a bit of a tight spot. Keeping your head in this sort of situation is key...that and having some sort outdoor skills & knowledge. With that in mind I feel that keeping your head in case of a close encounter would help with the overal experience as well as what you take away from it psychologically.

However, when things go 'bad' they seem to really go BAD(!). I would guess (and it is just a guess) that this is the sort of situation which has spiraled out of control very quickly in which the 'victim'(?) does not have the ability to effect the outcome.

If he wants you he is probanly going to get you! :D

Best Regards,

RIG