Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

When this bad boy got all S'ed up, he would have struck my thigh or higher, and I might have been faced with a cut it off to live.....gulp.

Edited by Bigtex

Here's a small area that had a at least 3 different sizes of prints, from juvie to size 14 big, with a few size 9's, and were mostly within the green circle, which is a marshy wet area right now.

Bigtex, you just gotta be having a ball!

i was having fun......but these snakes have me freaked a bit. Hmmm........to kill, or not to kill the snakes? In my younger years, I'd be blasting them away, but not sure now, would it give me bad snake karma? Guess it would be cool if I ate the dang things, and made a belt.

Let's take a vote.......kill the (venomous) snakes, Yes - No?

Edited by Bigtex

I am strictly no-kill when it comes to all snakes, unless it is trying to share my living space and there is no other way. Karma, yes. If they are not trying to kill me, I'm not going to kill them. I tell them to tell their kin...me and them have no disputes to settle.

Every poisonous snake I've ever seen (and that might be a hundred at this point) was either minding its own business, trying to defend itself, or trying with all its might to reach safety. 

I also believe that if you like to kill snakes, you must like rodents. Putting things out of permanent balance to solve a temporary problem is something we all have to try and overcome.

Besides all this, the #1 way to get bit by a snake is to try and kill it. Naturally, they are prone to take exception to you doing that.

Well...you asked!

Edited by WSA

Good points WSA......I haven't killed one in all my years, always let 'em be. All the rain has them a bit wacky I suppose.

BFF Patron

They try to get away if you let them.    I am not inclined to kill anything that runs away from me.    It has always been strange to me that there are no rattle snakes in prime BF habitat West of the Cascades.    It does not seem climate related.   The weather East of the Cascades is more severe, colder winters, more snow, etc but rattle snakes are found there and not West of the Cascades.      I do not know if it is because the Native Americans eradicated them, or some predator like BF has decided it does not want to deal with poisonous snakes.    The fact that other non-poisonous snakes exist West of the cascades pretty much blows away the argument that it is the wet weather.    Seems just strange to me.  

I'm probably gonna skip hiking this weekend, and let the serpants get settled after all the rain.....too close for comfort the other day, and still has me a bit rattled, no pun intended:)

No. I'm in live and let live mode myself now. Years ago I shot one after I about crapped on its head while out target shooting (shady spot under a tree), tho he was kind enough only to try to slink away. Years later, my lab got bit by a big snake while pheasant hunting in Montana, ruining that trip. A country (cow) vet gave him the care he needed, but I figured me and snakes were on an even field from then on.

Slow as you go. Glad you're okay!

Edited by Gotta Know

I'm probably gonna skip hiking this weekend, and let the serpants get settled after all the rain.....too close for comfort the other day, and still has me a bit rattled, no pun intended:)

Bigtex, I'll just throw this your way as it might come in handy one day.

The best and most effective snake bite kit is a four foot long piece of insulated wire - like you'd use as a power line in a car stereo.  Put an alligator clip on one end.  On the other end, you find a voltage probe/pen.  Like the "pen" on a voltage tester.  You can hold it in your hand and not worry about getting shocked.  That kind.

So you get bit by a big sonufagun.  It feels like it's on fire.  Get to the nearest small engine.  ATV engine, lawn tractor, weed eater, chain saw, lawn mower, boat motor, or even your truck engine.  

Pull the spark plug wire off the spark plug, and use your alligator clip to attach to the spark plug wire inside where it's supposed make contact with the spark plug.  

Put the metal probe on the bite site, and you gotta turn the engine over.  You must absorb eight of those shocking electrical pulses.  Six will probably do just fine, but with eight, you're clear of snake toxin. 

That burning pain is gone.  The toxins in the snake bite is neutralized.  Now you'll still have the bite punctures, and they'll leak a bit of plasma for a while, but if you did all this in 30 minutes or so - you can tape it up and go about the rest of your day with no adverse side effects.

They don't do this in the US.  They do this in South America - and one hospital even kept records of how well it works - and they use this method to this day.  Even on Fer-de-Lance snakes, which really eat up a lot of tissue - fast.

Will work on snake bites, brown recluse bites (that's what I used it on) scorpion bites, black widows - etc.  Any toxic bite.

Some US researchers supposedly tested this and proved it wrong - but they used like 100,000 volts.  On mice.  We're humans.  And 12,000 to 40,000 volts will work.

If you had a big selection of engines to choose from and use, a cheap $100 3.5hp Lowes lawnmower is perfect.

Oh.  If you do this, for heaven's sake, don't go later to the hospital and let them give you anti venom.  Now they're injecting you with a toxin.  And you don't need that.

If you can't stand the thought of shocking yourself off an engine ignition, if you can get to a clinic - have them PUSH 50ml of ascorbic acid in your vein.  It will burn a little bit, and isn't quite as instant as the electrical discharges, but it's fast and will neutralize all the venom as well.  Pure ascorbic acid.

Live long, and do prosper. 

Edited by FarArcher

Wow Fararcher......never heard of that, but sounds crazy enough to work, has anyone else heard about this?

Yeah, I didn't go hiking over the weekend, great weather too.

However, I did find Sasquatch.......and my son ate him!

post-193-0-75975500-1461598569_thumb.jpg

Wow Fararcher......never heard of that, but sounds crazy enough to work, has anyone else heard about this?

Yeah, I didn't go hiking over the weekend, great weather too.

However, I did find Sasquatch.......and my son ate him!

In remote area of South America, they don't have too many hospitals and clinics - but almost everywhere is a chain saw, boat motor, vehicle, or generator.

For some reading material, you can Google "Electric Shock on Venomous Bites and Stings," and there's a volume of material for your personal review.  

You can read of the data from Hospital Vozandes in Ecuador, where this is a government endorsed program.  One study alone documented 322 incidents where mortality and morbidity were significantly reduced, and even broke the cases down into those treated within 20 minutes, versus those treated within a 30-180 minute time span.

There is a distinct advantage to treating within 20 minutes.  Also works on animals, although after that first pop, they may not be so cooperative.

Don't use on your head, and not close to the heart.  On a limb, ground the opposite "meat" from the bite before treating - to get the electrical pulses to cut across the shortest path.

The difference between a living body and a dead body is the presence or absence of electrical activity.  An alkaline condition is good for electrical activity - an acidic condition is ripe for infections and disease.  

US medical community is apparently not interested in things that just work - if it's not a chemical such as anti-venom.  This is entirely a biophysics application.  And they don't teach biophysics in medical school.

We all know ascorbic acid is a great anti-oxidant.  In tiny quantities.  But with a 50ml megadose, it's a very powerful oxidant - of toxins, bacteria, viruses, and fungi.  If you happen to have a cold when you get snake bit and can get a doctor to push 50ml of ascorbic acid, not only will it reverse your snake bite - the next day you'll probably be finished with your cold.

Oh.  And oddly, every ascorbic acid molecule has two extra electrons to donate.

If no wire is available, just put the opposite side of the bite on a ground, and put the spark plug wire on the bite site.  Eight pops.  You'll immediately start to feel the pain start going away.  

No use losing lots of tissue and other nasty complications when a ready solution is usually close by.

Edited by FarArcher

That is fascinating, so glad you shared this......will read more. I wonder if a stun-gun could be modified & amped down to do the job, easy to carry one of those.

BFF Patron

That article showed a hand crank version of a  small motor spark producer (magneto) attached to a test lead probe with good insulators.        Those in snake country might look into making one.    The literature sure seems to indicate that the method is very effective.    Do first aid with the device then beat feet to a medical facility.     I wonder if a  striker that makes sparks to light BBQs has a good enough spark?  You can buy those at any Home Depot.     All you do with that is press a plunger and you would just need the insulated test probe for the spark end.     A good ground would be a piece of aluminum foil tape that you attach the ground lead to and just tape it on the leg on the opposite side of the bite as the article details.          That is a whole lot cheaper than a stun gun.     I wonder if the contraction of the muscle that is sparked expels the venum or what the process is that makes it work?     Of course medicine in this country would not recognize the device because doctors are basically drug and pill pushers.   

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

I've been doing a little research, and the guys in South America are using a stun-gun made by Nova Technologies, with one of the electrodes modified so that the electrical current can pass directly through the limb by placing the electrodes on either side. It has to be DC, and between 20,000 - 25,000 volts, with best results within 20 minutes of the bite. There's a lot written about so-called lab tests, but they were using small rodents, the desired prey species, and no human studies done. There's a mountain of human testimonials though, and I tend to believe those, even if coming from other countries......big pharma and their agenda's.

With the average cost for a snake bite in the 80K+ range, with permanent scaring & damage (not to mention death), I'll take the shocks no problem......taze me good baby:)  

BFF Patron

Even if you never had to use the thing you would probably feel a whole lot better hiking around in snake country if you had it along.    I hate to carry the crap I have in my field pack but sure enough if I don't have it with me, I will get stuck out someplace for the night and spend a really miserable night.     Better have some crap you might never use than die from something preventable. 

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic