Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

BFF Patron

Some like to mess with you.     We can be good entertainment for them.  

Here's a small area that had a at least 3 different sizes of prints, from juvie to size 14 big, with a few size 9's, and were mostly within the green circle, which is a marshy wet area right now.

post-193-0-35911900-1458838257_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-41339400-1458838276_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-29450000-1458838287_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-92973100-1458838298_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-84487100-1458838309_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-29387000-1458838321_thumb.jpg

Guest ChasingRabbits

Regarding the rock and the tooth, I suggest bringing them to the Central Texas Gem and Mineral Society in Abilene for identification. They should be able to tell you if the specimens are local to the area or, if not, where they are usually found.

Big Tex, I am wondering, how do you differentiate between a human size 9 or 14 footprint, and a Bigfoot's size 9 or 14 footprint?

Thanks,

BFF Patron

Drew I am guessing you have not walked around out in the bush in Texas barefoot much?    You would be picking cactus out of your feet constantly.  

I don't spend much time examining them, a few quick pics, and I'm off, but only take ones that appear to be bare feet. I am way off normal trails or human foot traffic, and I rarely find a shod print that isn't mine. These are (usually) remote locations, not even a cigarette butt or gum wrapper to be found. I'm not taking my shoes off out there, and you'd be nuts to do so.........that ole Coral Snake might bite me:)

Hey SWW......not too much cactus in my hiking areas by design, but the worst are the Mesquite thorns.......the dead limbs get lost in the life litter, 2 to 3 inches long, and have a tendency to break off in your foot after they easily go through the bottom of your shoe. 

You thought any more about putting a camera on Lulu on some sort of harness?     I hope she is not being too aggressive with them or she could get hurt.

This would be very cool. There are some cams made specifically for dogs. There are also gps collars that hunters use on there hounds as well that may be of use.

Hey TDK, got the GoPro........just need to figure a suitable mount, she might have gotten footage the other day.

Edited by Bigtex

BFF Patron

I don't spend much time examining them, a few quick pics, and I'm off, but only take ones that appear to be bare feet. I am way off normal trails or human foot traffic, and I rarely find a shod print that isn't mine. These are (usually) remote locations, not even a cigarette butt or gum wrapper to be found. I'm not taking my shoes off out there, and you'd be nuts to do so.........that ole Coral Snake might bite me:)

Hey SWW......not too much cactus in my hiking areas by design, but the worst are the Mesquite thorns.......the dead limbs get lost in the life litter, 2 to 3 inches long, and have a tendency to break off in your foot after they easily go through the bottom of your shoe. 

I speak with some experience about Texas plant life.  One of my early colorful military experiences was I during pilot training in Lubbock Texas.    We went out to some ranchers property that was leased to the Air Force for parachute training.     They pulled you up with a vehicle for paragliding and let you come down to experience an actual parachute landing.   There were some cattle out there and they warned us about them.   Someone had been chased by a bull there recently.     I did not have a bull problem but  happened to land my butt on a cactus and spent the rest of the day getting cactus spines pulled out of my tush.  

Been worried about this ever since the drought we had laid waste to the hard woods. This huge Live Oak tree fell in front of me, and would have instantly killed me......careful out there folks, 'Widow Makers' are as dangerous as any critter.

post-193-0-48405200-1459534021_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been out in almost 3 weeks due to the rain, but finally got a break and some sun around 3:00, even though it had poured around 6:00AM.

I know my hiking areas well, but that can be a bad thing if you get over confident. You need the mindset that EVERY hike is different, even down the same trail, and always ask yourself what could be different today before you start. Yesterday I thought about the rain & wind of late, and the affect on falling limbs & trees.....check, watch for those. Second, the early morning down-pour, which surely flooded many snake dins......they will be moving, cold, and pissed. I figured since the sun came out around noon, the snakes will get their heat back, and will be moving back to the shaded areas right about now......check, look for those.

Sure enough, I was headed down a shaded trail, with plenty of dead leaves, and saw a 7' footer just in time to jump back. He was long-ways in the middle of the trail heading the same way, but frozen still. My next step was on his tail, and I noticed irregular patterns at the last possible moment to react. The snake was heated up and moving lighting fast......he immediately coiled, with the classic 'S', see picture.

The picture is one that I found on-line that looked the closest. I DID NOT stick around the actual snake because of the dumb dogs, plus he was highly aggressive. Second near miss within the year, and both times neither snake rattled. The one yesterday hissed like crazy, but didn't rattle. IMO it's the because of the darn Hogs, which eat them, so they stay silent. 

post-193-0-07625700-1461339420_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

BFF Patron

I stepped on the tail of of one in Eastern Oregon when I was a teenage and jumped back out of the way when it swung around to strike at me.    Today not as agile and it would nail me.    Lot to be said for moving slowly and carefully in snake country and let them move away.    Scary that they do not rattle there.   

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic