How Would You Capture Or Kill A Sasquatch?

Guest tracker

Guest vilnoori

I see a few problems with this:

1)Game laws can also include illegal "trapping" as well as poaching. So you may not be circumventing the law with your plan.

2)At least here in the states, buying opiate style drugs in bulk (1000 LBS animal) are going to raise a few red flags (go drug war!) In Canada you can buy codeine over the counter, so it may be easier up there.

3)So biggie drinks the "sweet drink" gets up and stumbles off into the woods for a nap. Then what? There are some serious logistics that go into capturing and holding a dangerous 1000 lbs animal.

I see this as a great idea for researchers ONCE the species has been proven. But the logistics and organization of a hunting party is bad enough, let alone a catch and hold plan. I'm a hunter and I'm good at it, where as a plan like this is way outside of my experience. I'd either over dose him and kill him or he would kill me while I was trying to roll him into a metal cage, because it wore off.

Heck Vil, you set it up and I'll manhandle the cage and stand shotgun over you, but your going to have to provide the expertise on something like that.

That's why we'd need a vet and doctor on the team. Figuring out the dosage is done by weight and an estimate based on a comparable animal, such as a gorilla or human. You'd need to have the habituation set up and have multiple views of the individual targetted so you get a good estimate of weight and also what he likes or loves to eat, the faster the better. It would indeed take a few more cohones to do this than simply shooting one dead, but it might be worth while.

It would also be a good idea to do a few trial runs on biggie, letting him sleep it off and timing how long it takes. I don't think he'd object, might even come to like it.

Guest vilnoori

It would be our luck that Sasquatch has a paradoxical reaction to the opiates or codeine. I can see it now, a hyper bigfoot having an anxiety attack and knocking us and all of the trees down. If you plan to capture, you need to have "kill" in the back of your mind because we really don't know how any kind of drugs might react on them. A vet would raise some flags ordering a large amount here unless he provided services for large farm animals such as cows or horses. The thing of it is , you have chain of custody with narcotics and once you moved those to the field you couldn't put them back in the stock, you would have to waste them, say you dropped the container on the floor or something, since it's a board of pharmacy requirement here. What's wrong with liquor, can't we just get the sasquatch drunk enough to pass out? I bet he would love some of my muscadine wine. :lol:

LOL That would take a heck of a lot of wine. And in Canada there are laws about producing liquor, too. Darn it. At least as much as it would take to do that. And morphine is actually quite safe within reasonable dosages. If a dose was calculated by weight as vets do all the time it would be fine. As I said, it would take a few trial runs. :)

Guest ajciani

Although I do not generally support the killing of a bigfoot, if I was involved in Mission: Bag Bigfoot, I would do the following.

Weapon: 12 ga shotgun, auto preferred over pump.

Load: 00 buck shot, with enough room to insert one other shell in the magazine, carrying two spiral slugs in pocket.

I fully expect that any squatch shooting is going to occur at close range. However, if the squatch presents itself at an intermediate range, the slug can be dropped into the weapon and chambered. If aimed, the slug will do considerable damage. For people stopping, slugs usually penetrate too far before expanding. For squatch stopping, it should penetrate just right. The target point should be the chest. Even if it is close in and charging, take the time to aim, as shot doesn't spread all that far.

I prefer the 12 ga. Even though a 10 ga (aka cannon) might contain more shot, it is offset by a similarly scaled powder load, so it really isn't any more effective than the 12 ga, but it packs more of a recoil, which makes the second shot harder to aim.

I don't expect that a rifle will be needed, but if one is, perhaps a .338 Winchester Magnum. This is a reasonable round for elk and bear, so it should be fine for a squatch.

Tactic:

Since a body is the objective, the tactic should just be whatever brings the thing in to you. In fact, this might really be the only option. Bigfoots seem to be wary of traps, and won't let a stalking human get near them. So the best strategy will be to do something to lure them in, probably in an angry state. Perhaps call blasting territorial howls, or using a bull roarer. If an area has a history of confrontational squatches, then all the better.

Additional equipment: Night vision binoculars.

Yep, hunting at night is what you will be doing, and you need to be able to see them. This is the reason for the shotgun too. You can aim one reasonably well while wearing the night vision equipment. Your partner could mount a flashlight to his, and that acts as the sight too.

Was just rereading through a board and came back across a sure winner.

You may blow this off, but don't. It works and does so very well. Puppies. Not kidding. Either play it over a speaker to simulate, or preferably bring a cage full of live puppies. Place it by a creek or river you suspect they frequent at day, and stake out through the night with a high powered rifle/some sort of nightvision on the other side, hide your scent, do not move, and exercise the best camouflage you can. If you really want to go all out, put some cooked and uncooked deer livers/meet on top of the cage which should be only partially hidden under a downed log or some brush.

Plenty of hotspots one can do this at, and it will work and will not present danger to the puppies seeing as how they are caged AND you are facing them waiting for one of the big guys to investigate. Sounds crazy, but I would personally bet a week of my time on it!

Notice I said a HIGH POWERED RIFLE. IE at least a .375 H&H or 40+ caliber. Forget that shotgun nonsense, you only get one shot and then you are either dead or the creature has escaped. Shotguns are near USELESS against these. Doesn't work with Grizzly bears, doesn't work for these.

Was just rereading through a board and came back across a sure winner.

You may blow this off, but don't. It works and does so very well. Puppies. Not kidding. Either play it over a speaker to simulate, or preferably bring a cage full of live puppies. Place it by a creek or river you suspect they frequent at day, and stake out through the night with a high powered rifle/some sort of nightvision on the other side, hide your scent, do not move, and exercise the best camouflage you can. If you really want to go all out, put some cooked and uncooked deer livers/meet on top of the cage which should be only partially hidden under a downed log or some brush.

Plenty of hotspots one can do this at, and it will work and will not present danger to the puppies seeing as how they are caged AND you are facing them waiting for one of the big guys to investigate. Sounds crazy, but I would personally bet a week of my time on it!

Notice I said a HIGH POWERED RIFLE. IE at least a .375 H&H or 40+ caliber. Forget that shotgun nonsense, you only get one shot and then you are either dead or the creature has escaped. Shotguns are near USELESS against these. Doesn't work with Grizzly bears, doesn't work for these.

Not true.

People carry shotguns as self defense weapons against bears all the time. In fact at close distances, with the right loads, shotguns can be down right dragon slayers. Generally speaking they lack range, and hunters prefer high powered rifles instead.

Not true.

People carry shotguns as self defense weapons against bears all the time. In fact at close distances, with the right loads, shotguns can be down right dragon slayers. Generally speaking they lack range, and hunters prefer high powered rifles instead.

Precisely. I would reaaally rather not let a pissed off Sasquatch anywhere near me. The Shotgun could be a sidearm when the rifle wouldn't work, but even then I would prefer a .44 magnum with the right load, or even a 500 Magnum snub tbh. I wouldn't trust a 12 gauge in the sort of thick brush the big guys are encountered in while one is bringing the pressure O.o

Precisely. I would reaaally rather not let a pissed off Sasquatch anywhere near me. The Shotgun could be a sidearm when the rifle wouldn't work, but even then I would prefer a .44 magnum with the right load, or even a 500 Magnum snub tbh. I wouldn't trust a 12 gauge in the sort of thick brush the big guys are encountered in while one is bringing the pressure O.o

I don't think I'm following you.

A shotgun makes a GREAT "brush gun", in other words a gun that is great for close in work on pissed off dangerous game.

The reason for this is that a shotgun is:

A)Cheap

B)Extremely versatile (you can load bear slugs into it, or bird shot for grouse)

C)Short and lightweight.

Ballistics wise a .44 magnum produces:

981 ft lbs at 1175 fps with a 320 grain bullet.

A 12 ga. shotgun produces:

2300 ft lbs at 1500 fps with a one ounce slug (437 grains)

After about 50 yards both the pistol bullet and slug drop off ballistics wise very quickly. But clearly the shotgun dominates even the mightiest of pistol calibers.

Where as a large magnum caliber rifle (.300-.338 magnum for example) fires a smaller bullet at faster velocity that doesn't slow down nearly as much at 4-500 yards, giving it range. This is optimal will hunting, you want distance between you and your quarry and if the need to track dangerous game into thick brush is required? Generally that is the job of the guide to provide a gun of that niche.

The rifle I carry is a .45-70 government Marlin "guide" gun, it's the perfect brush gun. It's also heavy, expensive to fed correctly, and it's only a rifle. I cannot shoot rabbit or grouse with it although there are conversion for it to .410 with limited success.

I could see why loggers, fishermen, miners, and even LE agents pack a .12 ga. shotgun.

BTW,

This is the premium .45-70 ammo out there:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html

Our 540-gr +P Hammerhead Ammo is the ideal choice for stopping heavy bears at close quarters or hunting them at short range. This Hammerhead bullet has a meplat (frontal flat) diameter of .360â€, which is just one tenth of an inch less than bore diameter. With its tremendous weight to diameter ratio (sectional density) it provides end to end penetration on the heaviest of bears, with exit, and does tremendous damage per unit of penetration due to its extremely blunt front end. This load is carried exclusively by NOAA for protection against coastal grizzly attack. It is also carried by the National Marine Fisheries Service and the U.S. Geological Survey for protection from grizzly attack. For the specific task of stopping a grizzly charge, this ammo has no peer.

Guest ajciani

So you would rather poke pencil sized holes into the big guy one at a time, than blow a plate sized hole through its torso? I'll take the 12 ga with a slug if it comes down to getting 1, maybe 2 shots.

Also, at long range, you could use any rifle you want, if you are sure of your shooting ability. A hole through the heart is a hole through the heart, even if it is only .223, not to mention the hydrostatic shock damage. Now, if you are unsure of your shooting ability, or simply want to reduce the risk of it getting away, the key is a controlled expansion round with a lot of kinetic energy. If you are going to be sitting around waiting for the big guy to show up, I would prefer the lighter rifles (.338 or 30-06). You need to be careful with the "big game" guns like the 375 and the .458. They tend to come with bullets for penetration, rather than expansion and tissue damage.

The puppies is an interesting idea? Where was that from? I think they would be more likely to bring in coyotes than squatches.

So you would rather poke pencil sized holes into the big guy one at a time, than blow a plate sized hole through its torso?I'll take the 12 ga with a slug if it comes down to getting 1, maybe 2 shots.

Not many pencil's are one half inch in diameter. Expansion vs. Penetration, the age old question. One targets the soft issue of a non dangerous animal and the other targets the bone structure of a dangerous animal.

I'll take penetration on something like BF. And a 12 ga. slug works as well.

Also, at long range, you could use any rifle you want, if you are sure of your shooting ability.

The only ability I would be worried about is my "guy in a gorilla suit" judging ability at long range.

A hole through the heart is a hole through the heart, even if it is only .223, not to mention the hydrostatic shock damage. Now, if you are unsure of your shooting ability, or simply want to reduce the risk of it getting away, the key is a controlled expansion round with a lot of kinetic energy. If you are going to be sitting around waiting for the big guy to show up, I would prefer the lighter rifles (.338 or 30-06). You need to be careful with the "big game" guns like the 375 and the .458. They tend to come with bullets for penetration, rather than expansion and tissue damage.

Penetration is what you want for a couple of reasons:

1) As stated above the encounter needs to be CLOSE (no guy in gorilla suit).

2) Now that your in pulverization range of a very large very capable animal akin to a grizzly bear? You want something that is going to stop charges. High powered mid range caliber rifles lack that ability generally speaking. You want a very large meplat bullet that is going to enter on one side and plow completely through hide, muscle, tendon and even the heaviest bone and exit out the other side. Typically on four legged animals the shot placement is the front quarters themselves, and not the heart/lung area behind that. With a expansion bullet there is just too great of a chance that that bullet is going to get stopped by large bones if targeted. And that the animal is still going to kill you if you make a good shot on the heart/lung area.

You have to completely shut down the animals ability to reach you by attacking the bone structure and the central nervous system it protects.

The puppies is an interesting idea? Where was that from? I think they would be more likely to bring in coyotes than squatches.

The puppies come from other Squatch hunters/researchers who have had some interesting experiences between the two. IE one guy had puppies in his house which was located in a hotbed, and the cries at night would bring in ALOT of activity. They hate dogs and understand that a puppy is another pain in the you know what in the making. Puppy call blasting works as well, but I would doubt it has anywhere near the success rate. Not many if any people do it though. I guess they think it is "Inhumane" but ****, lets get real people, so is shooting a more-than-likely harmless caveman to prove he exists...Their is no evidence to suggest that they are violent when unprovoked at all. Dogs on the other hand...

Some good points Norseman!

http://www.inetimaging.com/images/short_870.jpg

Point taken :P

The thing that gets me though with a shotgun is the size and the weight. I typically when I go "deep" into a hike or camp pretty far into the woods, 10-15 miles, will carry all of my gear to the end and set up camp. Only then will I be able to comfortably move around. I will set up and then sort of mosey around to and fro 5 or so miles, only carrying the bare essentials. Losing weight from about 60 or more pounds to 20, and that is without any firearms as I never go out armed(no carry permit, no reason either). If I did, I would have my .44 with me, got a drop thigh holster for it :3

The problem with firearms is that this deep in they take up ALOT of space, especially rifles, and even more so shotguns which do tend to be much heavier and bulkier than most of the rifles I have handled anyway. I don't want to be staked out with a good sized rifle AND a shotgun and have to track down the quarry after a good shot carrying both. But I would not mind to carry my .44 magnum AND the rifle at the same time, as the .44 is relatively light/compact(5 inch barrel) and TBH, after a mile or so I won't even notice it on my leg.

A rifle AND a shotgun is just to much of a hassle for me, and if I had to chose between a shotgun or a select high powered rifle, I wouldn't have to think about getting a rifle. If you really had the money a Semi-Auto would be essential.

And TBH, I just love the "Cool factor" and the feel of my .44, easily my favorite firearm :3

Sasquatch are far and away the most dangerous quarry on earth. No debate here. 700-1500lbs, 8-11 feet tall, super intelligent cave man that can and will move in small numbers and is capable of maiming and killing large prey with rocks. No animal is as cunning, as smart, as strong, or as scary when it is POed O.o Be prepared, and count on one shot as it may well be all you get.

Edited by Xion Comrade

Guest tracker

They use to use baboons to bait lions for the same reasons. A chance to kill the young of a competing enemy before they become a threat should be a pretty good lure. JMO. tracker dry.gif

They use to use baboons to bait lions for the same reasons. A chance to kill the young of a competing enemy before they become a threat should be a pretty good lure. JMO. tracker dry.gif

Could be! Dogs are used to hunt/track them and all sorts of other wildlife constantly. Especially at night which just so happens to be when the Forest Giants roam about. As a matter of fact, around here that is more often than not the way hunting is done in certain areas. They could see how we use the dogs, and seeing as how they are pretty good at 1+1=2, go from their. They realize the dogs attack/bay the prey, then we run up and blow it to bits. Thus, they HATE dogs :P Makes sense to me. One of the signs indicating a Sasquatch is moving into a populated area is mass domesticated animal killings/missings, particularly dogs. Here in Tennnessee I think it may have been, one came around and 200 cats and dogs just disappeared, one lady went out onto her porch at night, scared the Big Guy, and the Squatch threw a dead cat at her O.o even made the news at the time. Back then I guess people weren't so quick to assume and didn't try to crush the credibility of recent sightings.

Edited by Xion Comrade

Guest vilnoori

Wow, that's an amazing story. I would think that the big guy goes after the cats and dogs because they are such easy meat. So do the coyotes for that matter. And so do people in times of famine. Both of them are apparently very tasty. Just don't tell my kids. :rolleyes:

I think if I had the ability I would carry a .44 sidearm too, but, being Canadian, I can't. So its a shotgun (it still might be too long to get up fast in a charge, plus as mentioned it is heavy to cart around) or pepper spray and a knife. Or nothing. Trust in your angels I guess.

I was told in my firearms training that the army used full metal jacket bullets purposely to wound rather than kill, because wounded soldiers cost money, time and resources and are still put out of the way. Defenders such as law enforcement, on the other hand, use people stoppers. We used silly little fossilized (lol) 357's but they were center fire hollow points. In other words, they didn't have much precision or range but if one came at you from a short distance (they taught us that most confrontations happen within 5 yards) the bullet would go in one hole and out six holes. Plus we were always trained to fire twice as a minimum. So in 2 holes, out 12 holes. That's 14 holes in someone from just two shots. Then they trained us to shoot for, in order, the center of the chest, the hips, and finally the head. Getting those 14 holes into all the major organs has a lot more stopping power than shooting at a skull that has a curved hard surface and is a smaller target to boot. Shooting for the hips has some virtue as well because there are some major arteries there and you disable their ability to locomote. But much messier afterwards if they don't die. Lawsuits and stuff, better to have a clean kill. I would assume that all these arguments apply equally well to shooting a sasquatch, if you are bound and determined to do so.

If your aim is to bring in a specimen for science you should not produce such a lot of damage that all you have to offer is ground beef, either. You don't want to damage too much if you can help it. Leave something for the scientists to pick through.

Also (edit to add) you will find a 12-gauge shotgun hung over the back seat of many a police, sherrif's or prison van or armored car because of the stopping power they have.

Edited by vilnoori

Guest Stonewall12

Could be! Dogs are used to hunt/track them and all sorts of other wildlife constantly. Especially at night which just so happens to be when the Forest Giants roam about. As a matter of fact, around here that is more often than not the way hunting is done in certain areas. They could see how we use the dogs, and seeing as how they are pretty good at 1+1=2, go from their. They realize the dogs attack/bay the prey, then we run up and blow it to bits. Thus, they HATE dogs :P Makes sense to me. One of the signs indicating a Sasquatch is moving into a populated area is mass domesticated animal killings/missings, particularly dogs. Here in Tennnessee I think it may have been, one came around and 200 cats and dogs just disappeared, one lady went out onto her porch at night, scared the Big Guy, and the Squatch threw a dead cat at her O.o even made the news at the time. Back then I guess people weren't so quick to assume and didn't try to crush the credibility of recent sightings.

Where at in TN?