New 2-Hour Special Coming To History Channel

bf2011HBMay

The fact that I fell asleep 15 minutes into it should suggest something. I'm not sure what it suggests but it must suggest something. Thank goodness for reruns. :P

Guest tracker

Its seems like a good remix of what older docs always state and show. Except now we got five university trained people with publicly recognized credibility wandering through the woods shouting here bigfoot bigfoot. I did like that teaser though, it's about time they updated what it's like to be on the hunt for the big guys in this day and age. It seemed like a good hype job did they come through? What did they say about PGF?

Thanks BobbyO please post the rest if you can.

I tried to stream it but I couldn't. Do you need to set up an account or certain software? And there's always a fee right? dry.gif

I watched and enjoyed the change in the approach to the subject. The round table panel of cedentialed scientists offered balance to the show with objective review of the various theories regarding the origin of bigfoot. They really didn't get into much about how to definitively find bigfoot though. Shucks. B)

Guest billgreen2010

hey everyone WOW that new sasquatch documentary was interesting unquie awesome the reactmentments of sightings were wonderful i give this new documentary A++++ ty bill g :)

and probably even fewer with a 14"+ feet :lol:

Well sir, for them to attribute all those BC sightings to Native Shamans doing a highly secretive initiation that not even the tribal elders know about, that's ALOOOOOOT of really, really, tall Shamans prowling around the woods doing really secret stuff, and by that I means, C'MON........................ really?

Its seems like a good remix of what older docs always state and show. Except now we got five university trained people with publicly recognized credibility wandering through the woods shouting here bigfoot bigfoot. I did like that teaser though, it's about time they updated what it's like to be on the hunt for the big guys in this day and age. It seemed like a good hype job did they come through? What did they say about PGF?

Thanks BobbyO please post the rest if you can.

I tried to stream it but I couldn't. Do you need to set up an account or certain software? And there's always a fee right? dry.gif

Tracker, with respect to the show overall, these "University Trained People" have recognized credibility in what, squatchery? Don't think so. And based on their new "Shaman" theory, they didn't do a whole lot to boost any credibility. If anything they hurt it. All this show, was a bunch of the same, rehash sightings, rehash gigantopethicus ancestory, which, imho is bullpuckey, cuz the monkey was too far south to credibly make it all the way through Siberia and across a land bridge into North America. Regarding PGF, nothing new, it is as it always will be, despite Kit's bestest efforts, INconclusive.

But getting back to the point that will likely offend some here, I just don't recognize the credibility of these five, because they really establish any. Only one of them came up with a new theory, which was crap. Nothing was resolved, and a blind dismall of all non-Pacific NW sightings was a bit insulting. I wasn't sirprised to see Meldrum involved as a so called "expert", but frankly I grow bored with his cannonisation. These days he is less a scientist as much just another Squatching celebrity.

So my take on the special in frank terms:

Your Credentialed experts didn't really provide anything new of any worth, the Shaman theory is to be kind, a stretch....

I was disappointed, and I doubt I'm alone in the fcat they jusy swept aside anything not Pacific Northwest, save for Florida, but they dismissed that pretty quickly as well.

The one valid case they made have made reinforces my feeling that points Squatchy towards being some kind of a relic human, because I'm sorry, Apes are just too stupid to not be curious enough towards humans that they wouldn't give themselves away. They wasted too much time on the Squatch as a monkey theory imho and, that is one of my major beefs with Meldrum, he just seems too married to the giganto theory which doesn’t pan out also imho.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just did not see any expertise from the "experts" to convey upon them that status, just five more people looking. Overall grade C+...

I found theories of it being Heidelbergensis descendent to be really interesting in that for me it really demonstrated a turnaround in the bigfoot community that they would even consider the possibilty. I remember not so many years ago my brother Bob and I were accused of having "romantic" notions trying to humanize what was an obvious ape when we suggested it might be descended from H. erectus or close relative.

I remember your and your brother's thoughts on that from the old forum. Though I disagreed with your argument, based on present lack of evidence for the extra evolutionary steps to turn an erectus grade hominin into a Sasquatch, I would never call you two 'romantics.' You've always been two of the more well read and thoughtful contributors to the BFF. And your theory is perfectly plausible biologically, by the way; no argument there, and in the end it may even turn out to be the correct one. Just need some evidence.

And a slight correction to Jodi's take - I otherwise agree with her on loss of tool use - it wouldn't be "devolution," just plain evolution. Organisms who don't need a body part or behavior any more tend to lose them over time. Like Jodi, it's hard for me imagining an erectus-grade completely giving up tools no matter how far incoming moderns push them into the wilderness slums. But who knows? The Almasty isn't reported to use tools very much, and they otherwise sound pretty erectus like bodywise. Maybe niche partitioning between competing hominin species does cause the loser to give up tool use and grow a compensatingly large body, leading to something like Sasquatch? Crap, Zenors. You've got me thinking about this again. :)

The last I've heard about the Bili Ape is that, from its mDNA, it's a chimp subpopulation that's not very divergent from other chimps. But that's old info, and for all I know its nuclear DNA may tell a different story.

On the show itself, I was initially disappointed by the slightly cartoonish way the producers approached things. But a few new things popped up, like the late survival of heidelberngensis. That was a surprise for me too. I'll have to look that one up.

And, yeah, it was nice to see some professional scientists at the round table. The shaman theory is interesting in itself, but like others here I don't think it has much to do with Sasquatch (it made me wonder how familiar that guy was with the present evidence).

Someone in this thread said they'd like to see the unedited clips from the roundtable. I second that.

Although I realize there are no "experts" .. hearing the opinions discussed was interesting, as well as the historical witness accounts that were played out. It was refreshing, to hear about a possible theory regarding Homo Heidelbergensis and the X women finger bone find, mentioned. Considering hominids as a possible explanation vs the usual gigantopithecus theory (for BF type creatures in North America).. was a step in the right direction, IMHO.

It was disappointing, to hear that Skunk Ape sightings in Florida and creature sightings elsewhere (outside of the Pacific NW) in the US, mainly dismissed by this round table group.. and spoken of, as increasing, only after the PGF. I noticed though, it was mentioned...that Meldrum had rocks tossed on the roof of the cabin he stayed and investigated, in 2007, in Ontario B) . I have books full of historical accounts from the eastern part of the US, that predate 1967. I consider, their opinion on the eastern part of N. America... as laughable, at best.

Overall.. I enjoyed this special, and it was much better watching than my usual post work two hours of cable TV. The witness accounts alone, made it worth the watch.

BFF Patron
...It was disappointing, to hear that Skunk Ape sightings in Florida and creature sightings elsewhere (outside of the Pacific NW) in the US, mainly dismissed by this round table group.. and spoken of, as increasing, only after the PGF. I noticed though, it was mentioned...that Meldrum had rocks tossed on the roof of the cabin he stayed and investigated, in 2007, in Ontario B) . I have books full of historical accounts from the eastern part of the US, that predate 1967. I consider, their opinion on the eastern part of N. America... as laughable, at best.

Overall..

Got to say this is disappointing to hear as well ioac, maybe they were attempting to distance themselves from reality to make other parts of the country/world seem like the exclusive domain of these creatures from a popularity perspective to appease "science". Funny that the contradiction of Meldrum being "rocked" in Ontario is played out however. Laughable at best for sure. Since I will be watching the youtube versions I guess I missed a 110 minutes though. Edited to add I caught the whole show, thanks hm. Also, the shaman theory was one of the weak points (but entertaining nevertheless for it's novelty), could have spent more time on hair and sound evidence to make up for it in my mind.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest tirademan

Well, I was looking forward to this but all I can say is GROAN!

Where do they get these Producers and people to be on and make these shows? I'm pretty sure I saw Meldrum roll his eyes at a few statements and move uncomfortably. These skeptics just kill me. "Oh, it looks like a man in a suit to me." with NOTHING to back it up...what an idiot. And I love how the guy "explains" Patterson faking the film, again without anything but his opinion...morons!

OK, as was said before 300 years of documented sightings have now "exploded" since the Patterson-GIMLIN (Get it right!) film? Huh? I've got TONS of stories from before then, AND THEY EVEN USED ONE ON THE SHOW!

12-17" footprints and all 8-foot ape sightings are Shaman hiding out? REALLY? C'MON! And theories about what relic hominid MIGHT have survived or E/Devolved...A BUNCH OF OPINION BASED ON WHAT?

WHO CARES WHAT people THINK sasquatch is or is not?

What they NEED to study is the physical evidence that exists, not throw crazy theories out there to explain their ignorance and lack of effort!

An almost complete disregard for recorded sounds, lack of any real historical perspective in terms of relating back to their "theories." As mentioned, they ignored many sightings that contradict their statements of place and timing. Yeah, skunk apes are just escaped lab/pet monkeys...but what about the report I have from Florida from 1818?

Just a really bad job of fact finding, and a great job of blissful ignorance.

But hey, that's just my 2¢!

tirademan

post-325-016620900 1296755215_thumb.gif

I have to agree with Tirademan, it pretty much sucked! I could not believe so many inaccurate statements....I started talking back to the TV :angry:

I was, somewhat disappointed. They did provide some new information, I was unaware of skeletal remains 10k years old. The lady x finger I knew about.

The lady who stated she believed the possible discovery would occur in Sumatra based it on natives.

So..that left me with the perception.. only natives can be trusted? What about all the sighting here in the US/Canada? Just blow it off because it could be based on the P&G film?

The good thing that came out is that they seem to agree that there is a diversity out there of bipeds, not just humans.

I'm not buying that this is some kind relic Neanderthal because I can't see them loosing tool and fire making abilities unless there has been de-evolution as opposed to evolution....there are theories out there regarding this.

The only thing that jumped out at me about this was:

Tirade posted something in the NY sightings area a while back... it was an 1895 report from Delware County (where im at) about some guy that was driving a team of horses down the road, and a giant hairy ape-man (wildman) jumped out of the woods, broke one the horses necks and dragged it off into the woods. Supposedly the locals formed a "posse" and when they tracked the creature they came upon a site that had A) some parts from the horse and some other farm animals laying around, and B ) the remains of a fire-pit... which seemed really weird when i read it, because obviously i never associated fire making skills with BF before...

Now them suggesting it last night throws a monkey wrench in that for me.

I'll see if i can insert the article below (before the editing time limit gets me).

sorry its so tiny... if you cant read it go to the NY sightings area, you can see a bigger version of it there..

post-325-086424600201294892276_thumb.gif

Art

Edited by Art1972