New 2-Hour Special Coming To History Channel

bf2011HBMay

SSR Team

Just watched it all, enjoyed it really more than not...

I thought the Manchester University English Guy made a poor attempt at " the case against " the PGF.

I thought the Shaman arguement had lots of cons in it as apposed to pro's.

I thought the Chapman case was, like the Bridal Falls cases, different to how i've read it many times previously.

I thought it was good that they focussed on other parts of the World.

I liked the fact that they were using the Great Ape comparisons as & when they could.

Sure there were some things like the showing of that hoax Video that Kit pointed out but they did say they were trying to weed out hoax stuff for themselves ( & not by doing a Google search on " kitakaze Shawn Bannon Studiodrome Bigfoot hoax. " :D ) so it implied to me that is was showed for that very reason.

There will never be a BF Programme that we all agree, was perfect.. ;)

Kind of bouting the flu at the moment but I did DVR the show and watched it last night. For the most part I enjoyed it mainly because it was new and not something I had viewed numerous other times in the past.

I was a bit shocked that they seemingly dismissed the totality of sighting reports from the US save the PNW.

Very little time was spent on explaining what people are seeing in areas outside the PNW. And, the Florida Skunk Ape was deemed to be an abandoned/escaped chimp/orang.

Don't buy into the *shaman* theory at all in explaining witness sightings. Something is making 16" + footprints and I doubt it is NA's wanting to become a shaman.

So, all in all I enjoyed it mainly because it was something new on the subject.

Of the 5 panelists, it seemed at least 4 were open to the possibility of Sasquatch being a real and viable creature.

The show lost it for me at the point where they glazed over Florida in one swift brush of the escaped chimp theory. Over, finished, gone, done, out.

There were times during the show that Meldrum seemed pained that he was in a room of people suggesting and entertaining a theory that Sasquatch sightings were actually Native American shamans running around on a spiritual journey. The look on his face said to me that the check he was getting was definately not big enough.

I could care less if Bigfoot is human or animal. I don't even know if it really exists, but what I do know is that it is not secretive shamans in the woods finding themselves. I would accept misidentified bears as a more plausible theory to the whole thing.

Good grief!

I missed the part where he was pained by it, but the notion is funny, just not ha-ha funny.

Guest kanetaker5566

As long as I get a bigfoot special every few months or a new show like monster quest but better I will be happy

I find it hard to believe that there that many NA shamans out there....

I find it harder to believe they would grow two or three feet and develop a heavy coat of hair.

IMO Dr. Meldrum has placed a lot of limits on where these people live. I feel this had something to do with the show not mentioning all those yellow dots covering the eastern half of the US. Hell, you couldn't even make out land where Ohio was on that sattelite rendering of the world, for all the "sighting dots".

Then, to dismiss Skunk Apes as wayward chimps and loose monkeys? What a slap in the face of ALL eyewitnesses in the "sunshine state". The only thing on this show that peeked my interest was the "new" attitude that maybe, just maybe, we are dealing with some form of human. Ancient or other-wise. Geez what a revelation! I woulda never got that idea. One step in the right direction.

And oh yes, each and every tribe of native americans has the exact same rituals and beliefs. And some from each tribe even morph into hairy giants that roam the woods avoiding people like the plague. Oh bruddah! Just when you think maybe someone is going to give Sasquatchery serious consideration, someone has to go to la-la land with it.-Knuck

I really hated the recycled reenactment of the PGF. If they couldn't get the colors of the horses right wasn't there at least some way to use an actor who didn't have a beard? I don't remember where I saw that first but I hated it then too. I've been expecting to see someone claim Chico was a pinto because they saw it on TV. Overall not too bad a show, though. I just watched my recording of it again in case I missed Bob Heironimus. Not there? Why not? Is he under contract to NatGeo for a sequel to Is It Real?;)

IMO Dr. Meldrum has placed a lot of limits on where these people live. I feel this had something to do with the show not mentioning all those yellow dots covering the eastern half of the US. Hell, you couldn't even make out land where Ohio was on that sattelite rendering of the world, for all the "sighting dots".

Then, to dismiss Skunk Apes as wayward chimps and loose monkeys? What a slap in the face of ALL eyewitnesses in the "sunshine state". The only thing on this show that peeked my interest was the "new" attitude that maybe, just maybe, we are dealing with some form of human. Ancient or other-wise. Geez what a revelation! I woulda never got that idea. One step in the right direction.

And oh yes, each and every tribe of native americans has the exact same rituals and beliefs. And some from each tribe even morph into hairy giants that roam the woods avoiding people like the plague. Oh bruddah! Just when you think maybe someone is going to give Sasquatchery serious consideration, someone has to go to la-la land with it.-Knuck

The more I think about the show, the dumber it gets:

A blind dismissal of anything east of the Rockies in essence

A secret subculture of gargantuan Indian shamans (Are you freaking kidding me, and Meldrum was party to that witha straight face?) He may not have said it, but he sure went along with it.

And all of florida is escaped Chimps.....

A lil, oversimplification by four nobody scientists and Meldrum whose participation in this didnt help him one bit

I had very low expectations from the show. Before I watched it, they hyped it up by suggesting that perhaps we were looking for the wrong animal. I was fully expecting them to say it was black bears or coyotes so I was pleasantly surprised they weren't going down that road. For me that bit of information about the 12 thousand year old Heidelbergensis made my week so it was worth it for that alone. I just read Ivan Sanderson's book and he described the Chapmans quite well because he met them and interviewed them. The story they relayed in the show just had bits and pieces that were like the original. I found them being white was a very strange twist since I sure remembered them being Native American. I liked the origninal story better. It seems strange that they would tweak the story when the truth was more interesting. I did find it a bit annoying that they get these doctors who obviously know very little about the subject with the exception of Dr. Meldrum. There are plenty of people that post here that are far more knowledgeable. I guess some people are more inclined to believe things that people with doctorates say even if they don't really know the subject they are talking about.

I thought the first half was good (not great), and then it went downhill from there. The one thing that kept getting on my nerves was the CGI rendered Bigfoots they employed for the recreations. They all seemed to be angry, baring their teeth and scowling, kinda like the Hulk when he's pissed off. Couldn't they at least show a couple calm-looking Bigfoots; not all them want to take you head off. And, yeah, the shaman thing kinda sucked. All I could think was, "How could the shamans sustain a large population in the wilderness over the centuries?" I mean, come on, they're all men! Did they have asexual reproduction? And of course, does becoming a "wildman" mean that you will morph into a giant? I think not. I know a lot of guys who hunt, hike, or otherwise spend time with nature. They don't get bigger, except maybe around the waistline. (Insert your own beer joke here). Anyways, aside from the interesting tale here and there, the only other good thing to come from this show is that it introduced me to Dr. Anna Nekaris. Every time she came on, an inner voice would say "Rawr!" which in dinosaur means "I love you." Seriously though, I never heard of her, but her knowledge as a primatologist really added to the program. Nobody beats Dr. Jeff Meldrum, though. He's the MAN!

Guest Greldek

Watched it last night on YouTube. I have to say it's pretty much what I expected, but I still enjoyed it. I agree with others, the shaman theory is pretty far out there, even considering that there are UFO theories and alternate dimension theories. IMO the shaman theory is harder to believe than most of the paranormal theories.

I think what I would have enjoyed more, was a bit more actual discussion from all the experts, rather than minor opinions on clips that were shown, here and there, then cut to more clips, then back for someone elses opinion on some other evidence / clips etc. Hearing all those experts in actual discussion would have been pretty interesting to me.

The more I think about the show, the dumber it gets:

A blind dismissal of anything east of the Rockies in essence

A secret subculture of gargantuan Indian shamans (Are you freaking kidding me, and Meldrum was party to that witha straight face?) He may not have said it, but he sure went along with it.

And all of florida is escaped Chimps.....

A lil, oversimplification by four nobody scientists and Meldrum whose participation in this didnt help him one bit

This seems somewhat harsh. The shaman thing was completely ridiculous, but I'm unsure how Meldrum "went along with it." Do you think he has editorial control? Do you think he's in on every individual interview and knows what they say or are told to say? Do you think that the people being interviewed have a sense of the overall finished product?

And four nobody scientists? I don't think you realize who Ian Redmond is - you should probably goggle his name, the United Nations and G.R.A.S.P.

This seems somewhat harsh. The shaman thing was completely ridiculous, but I'm unsure how Meldrum "went along with it." Do you think he has editorial control? Do you think he's in on every individual interview and knows what they say or are told to say? Do you think that the people being interviewed have a sense of the overall finished product?

And four nobody scientists? I don't think you realize who Ian Redmond is - you should probably goggle his name, the United Nations and G.R.A.S.P.

I thought he was great. I especially liked his tongue in cheek approach to the structure. Even I know who Jack Rink is.

In other scenes that lady archeologist wasn't too shabby either. ;)

I disagree, as for going along with the Shaman theory, like it or not choices were made. Dr Meldrum's name is there right alongside the theory so it looks how it does. As for the other four, I will say to you what I said to Mulder previously: Until there's a specimen to apply science to, I dont care what kind of scientist you are because you dont know anything more than the rest of us. Blunt yes, harsh no.

The show was a lot of rehash and the new theory was frankly sad and they dismissed a great deal of information too quickly. I'm not taken in by the idolization of "scientists", when they get that specimen maybe I'll change my mind, but until then they dont get any more of a pass than anyone else, nor should they.