Are We Going About This All Wrong?

Bonehead74

hobo squatch? rivers & power lines ...now trains?? thats a new twist .

mr courtney is on as a member here, perhaps he'll chime in.

if anyone might have an idea about the right way to go about BF things id say he's got the rep for it.

cool find BH74 :good:

BFF Patron

So is db the blogsquatcher back for good? Stranger than fiction.... I heard a recorded putative Sasquatch whistle from Central NC and in the background was a blaring train whistle intermittently. They certainly aren't afraid of trains and are quick enough to probably outrun one..... so.....

reminds me of the stand by me kids on the track....lets go to the train thread

Edited by slicktrick

So is db the blogsquatcher back for good? Stranger than fiction.... I heard a recorded putative Sasquatch whistle from Central NC and in the background was a blaring train whistle intermittently. They certainly aren't afraid of trains and are quick enough to probably outrun one..... so.....

DBD has said (IIRC) that he'll be commenting sporadically at the Blogsquatcher site on certain BF issues that intrigue him, but his main focus is his "Dreams and Phase Transitions" blog.

Anyone have a clip of a sasquatch howl?

I have several posted on Soundcloud, Aaron. The link is in my sig.

Thanks Sasfooty! The B1050.4.18.08.Howl was the one closest to what I heard today. It was creepy! I was building quaile pens for a hunting club and heard this moaning in the valley. I'd say it was within 1000 ft of where I was. It went on for like 10 minutes. My first impression was a bear was caught in a trap. Later I learned no one in that area had bear traps, turns out it's illegal in PA, so.....funny thing is, this was at 3pm--not the usual nocturnal occurrence for BF.

I'll happily amend my statement to say, "There is an ongoing debate about whether sasquatch is an animal similar to the other great apes, or is more closely related to the creature we call Homo sapiens." if it removes a semantic hurdle preventing anyone from participating in the debate.

Nowhere did I say that all BF researchers operate within the "North American Great Ape" paradigm (I'm well acquainted with several who do not), only that it dominated bigfootery for many years, thereby influencing generations of BF investigators and their research tactics. The problem is that many of those same researchers still use a wildlife model as the template for their investigations. I intended this to be a thread not about what we think bigfoot is, but about the techniques and underlying mindset we use to try to learn about them.

Thank you for the clarification. My point is that no hominid can be regarded as a dumb animal. But, I understand that human intelligence is generally (but apparently not always) superior to that of chimps, gorillas, and orangs.

Any research undertaken today under a great ape paradigm must, by definition, embrace efforts to account for potential human-type behavior of the target organism. However, one risks imparting anthropocentric bias if one assumes the target organism is or behaves just like humans.

I appreciate your goal for this thread, but one's mindset and chosen techniques are dictated by what we perceive our target organism to be. I realize the great ape paradigm in the era of The Four Horsemen was implemented under the former taxonomy where hominids referred to man, our predecessors of genus Homo, and closely related genera, while the other great apes were classified as pongids. However, this old taxonomy has been discarded (by biologists, but perhaps not all anthropologists yet) because of a logical flaw -- chimps are more closely related to humans than they are to gorillas and orangs.

Humans, chimps, and gorillas are further lumped at the tribal levels as hominims. Some molecular geneticists propose that chimps and gorillas be reclassified as members of Homo.

It used to be thought that only Homo used tools. Documentation of tool use by other organisms (not all great apes) lead to this being changed to only Homo making tools. However, recent studies have documented chimps and orangs making tools. I am unaware of reports of bigfoot making tools. If they did, artifacts of tool manufacture or discarded tools would make them easier to find.

I believe Homo (excluding chimps and gorillas) is the only genus known to have mastered the use, maintainance, and creation of fire. I know of no reports of bigfoot using fire. If they did they would be easy to find.

I've seen few specific recommendations herein as to how research should be better conducted. The best so far is JDL's to send in a team of former snake eaters. If the North American great forest ape does exist it is highly intelligent, highly adapted to its habitat, and is highly stealthy. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are human.

Guest PolarBear

Jodie - some autistic children/adults have very high IQ, not most. On the other hand most autistics are pretty hard to IQ-test...

But your comparisons are interesting. I've at some point compared their physique with that of gigantism/acromegaly (tall, muscular, coarse facial features, wide hands, kyphosis), caused by something as simple as too much growth hormone. It doesn't take a lot og genetic difference to change your apparence radically.

Gigantism/acromegaly, is that what Andre the Giant had? You know, I often wondered if you had a race of people who had this condition (assuming it's genetic), and they were to live in the wilderness, would their bodies eventually adapt to the environment by growing hair all over? Interestingly, Andre did play bigfoot on the six million dollar man, and his physique closely matches a lot of witness descriptions (e.g. large chest, tall, muscular, coarse facial features, huge hands...). Just some thoughts.

Guest vilnoori

Ptero, Bonobos can be taught to use fire by humans. It is conceivable that they could over time have noticed it's use and become accustomed to it. There are wild chimp tribes on the savanna that are very comfortable with it. As a kid on the African savanna I can tell you that whenever a grass fire came by, if you could avoid being caught in it, there was a real banquet of food associated with it because all the small animals would be driven ahead of it and lose their fear of predators. It also stunned and exhausted them, so fire meant lots of easy prey.

There is one account from near here on the mountains West of Harrison of sasquatch playing with a logger's brush fire, so perhaps they also are not that uncomfortable with it as we might think. And remember considering tool use that even crows use and modify tools, so do monkeys...it is not that big a feat. Possibly sasquatches are descended from the Asian forms of H. erectus that had no stone tools associated with their remains (Maybe used biodegradable bamboo? Or were simply too big to need to use tools?)

Perhaps the need for stealth meant that making stone tools (chopping and chipping is loud) and using fire got left by the wayside, especially since they are not really necessary for life for such a big, well-adapted creature, if they are real.

Edited by vilnoori