Bigfoot And Trains

Just something vaguely and generally on the theme of this thread: an account which was among the material of the “old BFF†(is perhaps, even, on the now current database?). Always intrigued me because of its rail context.

The writer of the account, passes it on as a reminiscence heard by word of mouth from her – grandfather IIRC, once employed as locomotive crew. Told of as happening in the late 19th century, on a freight train somewhere in western North America, near the US / Canada border. Recounts the train -- travelling at night -- striking right ahead on the track, a giant creature whose description would seem to match that of a bigfoot. The crew halted the train – found the creature clearly badly injured, but not dead. The crew put it onto an empty freight car in the train, with view seeing what could be done, if it were still alive when they reached the nearest sizeable town.

In the succeeding hours, the train made a number of halts, some at least for operational reasons. The train’s conductor, who had the relatively clearest view of what was going on, reported interest taken in the slow-moving train, by one or more parties of local Native Americans. At one of the halts made – this stoppage maybe contrived by these locals? – I forget all the details – the said locals bodily removed the injured bigfoot from the train, and made off with it. (Train crew, no doubt thinking it a time for discretion rather than valour, did not try to hinder them.)

Writer of account (or posters in the thread concerned? – again, I forget) speculates that the intruders were likely in fact not homo sapiens sapiens, but other squatches, reclaiming their species-mate-in-distress. A suggestion was also made, that the conductor suspected, or was certain, that the parties concerned were multiple BF; but opted to speak of “Native Americansâ€, being apprehensive of being thought crazy if he’d told what he reckoned to be more likely the truth.

Purely anecdotal; but definitely one of my favourite bigfoot accounts.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BFSleuth

Stan Courtney just posted an update regarding BF and trains, from the person he was with when he observed the BF:

http://www.stancourtney.com/wordpress/

"Donald J. Potts

I am the one that saw a large hairy creature riding between box cars listed in the first

paragraph above. See 1st comment here: Railroading Sasquatches

Train_04.jpg

I was 15 years old and the year was 1975. At that time in my life, I grew up spending

every non-school hour possible outdoorsfishing in the summer and hunting in the winter

and use to love to rabbit hunt with my Beagles up and down all along the railroad tracks

in my area. The animal I saw was very huge and balled up so I could not see the face.

It had long auburn brown hair that glistened and blew in the sunlight/wind. At that

time back in 1975 it was mostly thought that bigfoots only lived in the deep woods of

the Pacific North West and Canada. I had heard stories of bigfoot sightings in IL, but I

too was skepticback then and if you said you saw one, you were ridiculed and chastised

for it.

Now that I am older (51) and much wiser and have researched all the information I can

find on them, I am very confident that both Stan Courtney and I saw a Bigfoot riding the

trains in Illinois. I know it sounds crazy as hell, but knowing what I knownow about them,

I no longer tell myself it was a huge dog, or an orangutan escaped from the St. Louis Zoo.

This is what I told myself all of these years because I had no other explanation for

what I had saw with my own eyes. My incident occurred in Bond County, IL out near the

heavily wooded areas near the Kaskaskia river bottoms.

I am now retired military and retired law enforcement. My entire career has been spent as

a trained observer and an investigator. I am not lying about what I saw since I have

nothing to gain by lying. If Stan or someone else sets up some cameras on tripods so they

can film the trains from both sides and both directions, it is only a matter of time when

this same incident can be captured by HD camcorder.

I urge others not to automatically jump to the conclusion that Stan was hoaxed. I know for

sure nobody hoaxed me back then. I think bigfoots are extremely intelligent, super strong,

and ninja like stealth masters. I now believe they do ride trains and I hope others will

prove it to everyone else by being the first to catch one riding the rails on 1080 HD video.

Once again, great report Stan.

Donald J. Potts"

I took this picture just now from my front porch. I can sit at my computer & watch trains go by all day. You can believe that they do ride trains.

Train.jpg

Guest BFSleuth

Stan Courtney strikes me as a stand up guy (and a forum member... see his earlier post on this thread).

I have friends and family that work for the railroad in the PNW. BF is a topic they are personally familiar with, from actual sightings to trackways and "other strangeness". Given that trains are in the environment frequented by BF, and given that they often display curious behavior, it isn't that much of a stretch for them to figure out how to ride them. Intelligent animals interact with their human made environment in ways that can be surprising, often for what could simply be termed as "play".

If this train riding behavior is repeatable, as Sasfooty is noting from her observations and from the observations of Don Potts, then I certainly hope that Stan will be able to get some HD video evidence.

Well you can believe that if you like, but please don't speak for me.

Just trying to be helpful here, Sas.

Sometimes when people have trouble speaking, it's because there's a foot stuck in their mouth.

Guest Cervelo

I'm not saying I know Stan personally, but he has given me a tremendous amount of help with recording equipment and guidance with all things audio.

He is by all measure that I can gauge a great researcher and person.

But as with all of us he could just be mistaken in what he saw.

So does Bigfoot check the train schedule before he jumps a train or is he just looking for greener pastures?

We know people ride/jump trains and why, so as always what's it most likley...... a person

My hubby once had to check the engine behind the one he was on and found a hitchhiker (hairless guy) sleeping. Scared the crap out of both of them. He told him to get off or he would have to call the cops.

It is amazing how easy it is to hop a train. Maybe Jacko was practicing LOL.

My theory about high voltage power lines is that sasquatches follow them, not because it's a clearer path, but because the towers and lines are landmarks on some route. They are like mileposts on a highway, sorta.

Maybe railroads are simliar landmarks, and they have taken to following track lines. If you take the train instead of following the tracks, you get there quicker and with less effort.

Sorry, I ain't buyin' it. Now this should surprise no one because I remain unconvinced that anyone here has ever encountered an actual bigfoot doing anything, but stories like this go off the rails exactly here: The only way for bigfoot to have existed for so long uncollected in a continent of farmers, prospectors, trappers, surveyors, foresters, hunters, poachers, biologists, hikers, photographers, paleontologists, archaeologists, etc. is avoidance of all things human. When one understands the history of how this land was explored - and more important, settled - it would be truly astounding that any large, terrestrial mammal could have survived uncollected and undescribed to at least the year 2012. The special pleading given in response to that idea is, of course, that bigfoots are intelligent, and very good at avoiding human contact.

So what do we do with reports of bigfoots actively engaging human contact? If bigfoots never approach hen houses, then that's something that can at least explain why a farmer hasn't filled one with lead in his backyard. If bigfoots do approach hen houses, then it makes even less sense that the latter has not happened.

We allegedly on the cusp of Dr. Ketchum revealing to the world that bigfoots really are out there after all. (I'm not holding my breath.) Her explanation for the existence of bigfoots without a decent photograph of a bigfoot? Bigfoots detect and shun cameras, of course! That's the same reason "Mike" gave for why he never got a photo of "Enoch." So now we're being asked to believe in bigfoots that quite readily approach human things and even take advantage of them (presumably because bigfoots are too lazy to walk where they want to go nowadays) - as long as those things aren't cameras, of course.

I could be convinced that bigfoots exist. I could even be convinced that bigfoots ride trains but avoid cameras. But I won't be convinced merely because someone - no matter how nice or honorable or level-headed they are - said so.

Guest peter

getting there quicker would mean they possess the concept of time, that plus the thinking needed to safely ride the rails would make them being Ape a tough sell.

Edited by peter

I could be convinced that bigfoots exist. I could even be convinced that bigfoots ride trains but avoid cameras. But I won't be convinced merely because someone - no matter how nice or honorable or level-headed they are - said so.

So how would you be convinced? Are you just gonna have to go see for yourself? I've heard of the paralell of sightings happening near train tracks, even collected some cool evidence being studied right now, that was found just 75 yards from tracks. Obviously the creature wasn't run off from a train's noise. Locals in the area say they hear howls when the trains pass. Maybe a signal?

Could be that they don't avoid all human things, and can assess the purpose of those things.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Maybe we now know the reason for the North Korean rocket failure. They forgot to clean off all of the ten foot hairy hitchhikers.

Sorry for the "derail" and horrible pun.

Trains. That's awesome.