Loggers And Bigfoot

Spader

A trail cam in the woods is easily identified as a foreign object. A passive visual recording device mounted among "human clutter" may be less noticeable.

An area very close to my property was clear cut starting last fall and they finished this spring. The small logging company that did the work was a father, son, and a few other guys. In November, my daughter and I took a 10mile ATF ride and the owner of the logging company stopped me to ask me about the area. They set up a camp (trailers) and he pointed to an area and asked who owned the cabin as his son had seen lights from a cabin the night before. The closest cabin is near mine which is about 1.5 miles away. There are no roads or even trails in the direction he pointed. Whatever he saw was in an open area the used to be a huge beaver pond that was drained 2 years ago and now is all marshy. On the other sie of that is a fairly tall ridge. Between his camper and the marsh/river is very thick woods. I have no idea what he actually saw but the next night, I heard 2 gunshots from the direction of their camp. This was about 10 days prior or the deer rifle season opener. I went back up there a couple more times to see what else they may have seen, but in each instance, they were all very busy with logging problems. These are the same loggers that clear cut right up to the area that I had found the deer skeletons and the jawbone and I really wanted to ask if they saw anything when they cut that area. UPs

Admin

I would go out on a limb and say that loggers, hunters, and Park Rangers are probably the three groups that consistently have the most encounters with BF. And interesting that most of them do not want to talk about it at all.

Guest minnie-ear

I know a couple of loggers and people who have loggers in their family. They won't talk about it. At least the modern guys won't. The best I could get out of a coworker's husband was that he's seen some weird stuff and doesn't doubt that weird things happen in forest. The impression is that their jobs are in jeapardy for talking about such things. As someone mentioned before, if you think the spotted owl caused issues with logging can you imagine....?

I would also agree that modern logging which is greatly mechanized, dangeraous, noisy and requires a lot of concentration makes it less likely the loggers will have a casual sighting.

I agree that after hours things may get interesting especially near water sources and travel routes.

I am very very sure they have lots of experiences with sasquatch and many other rare/endangered animals in the logging industry. I'm also very very sure that they learned to shut up about it after that spotted owl stuff.

-KW, who is still trying to figure out the best way to get people to come forth with new evidence without fear.

Guest thermalman

I would go out on a limb and say that loggers, hunters, and Park Rangers are probably the three groups that consistently have the most encounters with BF. And interesting that most of them do not want to talk about it at all.

I would tend to agree with you.

I used to work in a truck shop selling parts to the local truckers, including a bunch of log truck drivers. Got to be friends with many of them over the 6 years I worked there, so I slowly started asking them about bigfoot.

Most hadn't seen anything, however a small percentage either had some sort of experience or knew someone they trusted who did and the remaining small percentage would quickly say no and change the subject, telling me that either they thought it was bogus or they won't talk about their experience.

Guest BFSleuth

I am very very sure they have lots of experiences with sasquatch and many other rare/endangered animals in the logging industry. I'm also very very sure that they learned to shut up about it after that spotted owl stuff.

-KW, who is still trying to figure out the best way to get people to come forth with new evidence without fear.

The best way to get loggers to open up to you is to join a logging crew long enough to no longer be considered the rookie, and have a few beers after work. If you are outside the group, then good luck trying to get them to open up.

Ghuda,

I was being sarcastic. Of course it was a human, regardless of origin. The dizzying logic of the logger reminds me of how MM deduces that every piece of "evidence" he finds originates from a bigfoot.

Back to the logger/bigfoot interaction. If this article indicates certain people's reaction to a species threatening their livelihoods, then the "shoot/shovel/shut up" attitude would most likely extend to sasquatches as well.

http://community.sea...16&slug=1260870

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Ranchers in and around areas where wolves have been reintroduced also practice s/s/s-u because the wolves kill livestock but the wildlife officers always say it was "coyotes" or "feral dogs".

Most hadn't seen anything, however a small percentage either had some sort of experience or knew someone they trusted who did and the remaining small percentage would quickly say no and change the subject, telling me that either they thought it was bogus or they won't talk about their experience.

Easy way to tell the two apart is how they do the "blow off"...casual and joking = don't believe. If they seem quiet, or evasive, I'd almost bet money they've seen something they don't want to believe.

Weren't the loggers at Bluff Creek back in the '50's sort of responsible for starting the modern bigfoot interest? They kept telling stories of finding huge footprints and (can't remember the guys name) went to investigate, made casts and took photos. I believe it was a logger who is given credit for coining the name bigfoot.

Guest wudewasa

Yes rockape, but legislation to protect species wasn't in place yet. Environmental laws have changed how businesses deal with the natural world. Some think it's good, others don't.

• 4 months later...

In 2002 I worked for a guy who owns a portable rock crushing and logging outfit. We weren't doing any rock crushing so he put me with the logging crew and I asked his oldest son about BF and he said he believes and knows a lot of loggers who have seen a BF. Then I asked the younger son and he said the samething. Then I got to spend sometime with a log truck driver and he said he knows BF are out there and knows a lot of log truck drivers that have seen a BF. He drove log truck down around the Bluff Creek area in the late 70's.

When we are crushing rock for the state forestry and they come out and inspect the rock, I'll ask them about BF and about 2 out 3 have had or know someone who has had a BF sighting or activity.

I think they will tell you, but you have to ask first.

The best way to get loggers to open up to you is to join a logging crew long enough to no longer be considered the rookie, and have a few beers after work. If you are outside the group, then good luck trying to get them to open up.

I don't think so BFS, If the loggers I'm around saw one, everyone would know. These ARE just hard working regular guys. If they caught a big fish or killed a big buck, they would love to talk. 99% would actually tease you if you brought it up. Then they would come up with a pet name for you like stinky. :)

Does anyone out there think Loggers see or see the evidence of Bigfoot activity? I bring this up because of the Governments reaction of the Spotted Owl fiasco. Would Logging operations keep their knowledge of Bigfoot activity silent in fear of that the Government would shut them down for the "protection of the species"?

Kinda wonder if "spotted owl" is a code word for BF.