Loggers And Bigfoot

Spader

Guest BastetsCat

I heard from a loggers wife that there were several log truck drivers that had seen a particular BF on the flattops in the 90's. It was white and they called it the old man. Apparently if they pulled off of the road to take a break it would harrass them.

Oddly there is a report in the BFRO data base for Eagle County Colorado of white ghosts. In the Grizzly Creek area in the Flattops.

Up here in Colorado where they are clearing the gore forest out of beetle kill many of them set up trailer camps. They work monday through friday and drive hundreds of miles home over the weekends. I know a few of them and they all laughed at me when I asked about it. But the one guy told me that I should ask the log truck drivers cause they were the ones that see them.... All of them laughed at that then started in on the creepy stories about other things in the woods, nothing bigfoot related.

About spotted owls...The BIG fire in Arizona from a few years ago was called the biggest national owl roast on the planet. The area that burned had been barred from logging and sat ripe for fire. It was not the federal government that did this instead it was groups like the sierra club.... think about that.

Guest VioletX

This is from Robert Lindsey from a radio interview the other day, so take with a grain of salt. He had been told that up in Canada if someone reported seeing Bigfoot, and I think he was talking about members of the park service, not sure, the "next day", the area would be cleared to run off the Bigfoot, they don't want Big foot in there parks or something like that.

Weren't the loggers at Bluff Creek back in the '50's sort of responsible for starting the modern bigfoot interest? They kept telling stories of finding huge footprints and (can't remember the guys name) went to investigate, made casts and took photos. I believe it was a logger who is given credit for coining the name bigfoot.

Jerry Crew did the first casts, etc, but I don't think he coined the name, I think that was the papers.

About spotted owls...The BIG fire in Arizona from a few years ago was called the biggest national owl roast on the planet. The area that burned had been barred from logging and sat ripe for fire. It was not the federal government that did this instead it was groups like the sierra club.... think about that.

And it was entirely unnecessary. Genetically indistinguishable populations of the same species live in several places throughout the region. There effort to "save the spotted owl" referred ONLY to the one isolated group, ruined an industry AND set up a major wildfire...very sad.

Not sure why people continue to equate Sasq with the spotted owl, an animal that requires old growth forest.

By most accounts I've heard and read, if you want a well known stand-in for Sasq you could do a lot worse than black bear. And those seem to do just dandy in well managed harvested forest mosaics, with all of the newly opened areas growing berries and browse (and the deer and elk that are attracted to them). Old growth forests are relatively sterile on the ground.

It's absolutely unknown, for sure, but if I had to guess I'd say that a local population of Sasq in really dense old growth would actually do better with a moderate logging scheme in their area, even if the logging activity upsets them in the beginning.

There are other, better, reasons for sometimes not logging old growth. A Sasquatch presence just may not be one of them.

Edited by tsiatkoVS

Guest rustywilson

I have a good friend who's in her mid 70s and now lives in Oregon. She spent a long time living near Happy Camp right on the river, her husband was a fishing guide on the Klamath. She says the loggers there all talked about BIgfoot, had stories about equipment being moved or trashed, big barrels thrown off cliffs, that kind of thing, but she personally didn't believe in them (still doesn't). I asked her if she'd ever seen anything around there that might've been Bigfoot related and she said the only thing was a huge set of footprints she and her husband found once. I think she prefers to not believe in Bigfoot, given that she nows lives in a cabin in the woods.

My daughter's brother-in-law, hunts and guides in the PNW for foreign hunters on Canadian safaris. He has never seen a BF, but 85% of the people who come to hunt have asked him about BF. One of his co-workers have shown him a picture from the early 1900s of their grandpa, who used to trap up there, standing beside a dead BF caught in one of his bear traps. The catch was only a couple days old, as grandpa used to check his traps every two days. I asked my daughter's brother-in-law if he thought it was a hoax? He responded by telling me about the detail of the head and face, the hands and the literal size of the dead creature, and said it looked very real to him. I asked him what he thought they did with the corpse? He could only tell me that he didn't know. For now, that's all I can tell you. He goes back in the fall to guide, so hopefully he will find out more about the picture. I've asked him to email me a copy of the picture if he can get one.

Most bear traps were leg-holds back in the day. Leg-holds don't kill, hence the name leg-hold. I'd like to know if he used something else to trap bears?

Edited by Amahnee

Guest Transformer

The Native Indians in BC used dead-fall traps to kill bears for a long time. If it was the early 1900's then there were probably lots of people around in BC who knew how to do it. They are a lot of work but I have seen one set-up and used successfully as a demonstration of traditional ways.

• 2 years later...

Bump - thought this was a good thread since the discussion has picked up in other areas.

Seems like there are indeed plenty of loggers that see these creatures.

SSR Team

Good bump cotter, good thread.

FWIW, I have 3 encounters reported by loggers or near logging camps in the northeast.  The first, which is folklore, concerns loggers in West Virginia in 1900 who saw a gray "wildman" running over the log stacks in camp.  Details are sketchy; it's an "other story" in BFRO report #14739.  

Bigfoot: Encounters in New York and New England (and the John Green database) include a 1951 report of heavy equipment and supplies tossed about and 20" by 8" footprints found at a logging camp in Rutland County, VT.  #CheckRayWallace'sItinerary. 

Finally, the BFF itself has one such 1999 encounter reported on page 5 of the Northeast Sasquatch thread.  

An ornithologist doing a bird survey in a private corporation's "test" forest (a patch where they monitored and measured stuff closely) heard several whoops; this occurred in West Virginia and is included (I believe) in the BFRO's Randolph County encounters list.  

People working the graveyard shifts at strip mines in West Virginia have also reported encounters; however, I don't have report pedigree information readily available. 

A deadfall trap for a black bear? I wouldn't want to be the one setting the trigger on that....

I noticed yesterday a new logging road in the NF and after reading this thread want to check it out

A trail cam in the woods is easily identified as a foreign object. A passive visual recording device mounted among "human clutter" may be less noticeable.

this I don't understand

how in the hell does a SSQ know what a camera is?

the wild animals sure aren't aware and by the time humans are aware of the camera, it's too late

makes zero sense

Admin

Some say smell, some say sound, some say it is so aware of its surroundings that it knows when the smallest thing is out of place or has been disturbed.

Whatever the reason, it seems that there are few, if any, decent trail cam pics of the big guy (or gal...). My personal belief is that while it does not know what a camera is, it does know that it was put there by humans and that is reason enough to steer clear of it.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Makes all the sense in the world. Few trail-game cams are truly descented or camouflaged and a well known study shows even alpha male coyotes can tightrope around them. Most cams are belted to a vertical tree trunk and stand out like crazy. I recently tried an experiment and did minimal camouflaging and got feedback my cam was found -- honest abe type ptl, though I have caught humans unaware when I have chosen to put efforts into setup.

Edited by bipedalist