Giant Skeletons

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest thermalman

I would think they could derive DNA from the bone marrow and put all the speculation to rest? Unless...........?

Yup, OS, you're catching on...hence my thread of conspiracy theory and bigfoot. We might want to resume this thread in the tar pit since, as someone else pointed out on the few occasions I brought up giants, the subject is invariably tied to r....r.....rel.......relig........uh, something we can't talk about on the open forums. :(

I'm with ya there, thermalman, but from what I've been able to gather about DNA, they have to first have a species and/or body to base the profile on, err something like that; otherwise, results are inconclusive......

Guest craichead

Hoaxed stories were an accepted part of the newspaper business in the 19th century American west and midwest. If you read Mark Twain's autobiography or his book "Roughing It" he talks about this. Once some of his newspaper buddies hired a guy to mug Twain at gunpoint and steal his watch so they could have something to write about (they eventually gave the watch back). In short the reason there are no giant skeletons sitting in a museum somewhere is because all of those stories were made up. Same thing with all those UFO airship stories from back then.

I might think the way you do if the artifacts weren't popping up in other countries, and having known of a find near my own home where giant skeletons were discovered, then dissappeared soon after the property owner reported them to "authorities". There are many other facets of our wonderful world of science that has ignored certain discoveries and substituted them with propaganda; usually in the interest of control or profit.

Guest COGrizzly

Near New Albin Iowa, there are Mounds. Fish Farms Mounds Wildlife Area. They are suppose to be indian burial grounds.

There's also a good bit of information online about how such finds like the "Lovelock Skull", while not a "fake" was described a bit overenthusiastically to get tourists to come to little out of the way towns and museums. Seems there is nothing particularly unusual about these Indian remains. There also may be some sort of an attempt at a religious tie in with the "Giants in the Earth" type of thing. I have heard things like mammoth bones used to be called giant (human) bones.

Hoaxed stories were an accepted part of the newspaper business in the 19th century American west and midwest. If you read Mark Twain's autobiography or his book "Roughing It" he talks about this. Once some of his newspaper buddies hired a guy to mug Twain at gunpoint and steal his watch so they could have something to write about (they eventually gave the watch back). In short the reason there are no giant skeletons sitting in a museum somewhere is because all of those stories were made up. Same thing with all those UFO airship stories from back then.

Did you bother to read from any of the links I provided? MODERN sources ranging from the mid-late 1920s up through the 60s.

On the side issue of conspiracies and who might be behind them, it doesn't have to be a "top down" conspiracy wherein some central authority actively seeks to cover up a fact or activity. Sometimes, the weight of social pressure causes what amounts to a "conspiracy of silence" whereby no one within the community wants to engage the controversy in order to protect themselves from the blowback.

It's sad but true.

Edited by Mulder

The NA, American Indian were some of the tallest people in the world. It would be very common to find taller than average skeletons in what became the US; although as tall as 9 ft would be strange.

I would also think that things that stand out as out of the norm would be exactly the kind of thing that would stand out :) . You're not going to read a lot of stories about average occurences. You only need one Andre the Giant sized skeleton to be reported on to create quite the buzz, and that story can be looked back on 50 years - 100 years, etc and have people scratching their heads.

There's also a good bit of information online about how such finds like the "Lovelock Skull", while not a "fake" was described a bit overenthusiastically to get tourists to come to little out of the way towns and museums. Seems there is nothing particularly unusual about these Indian remains. There also may be some sort of an attempt at a religious tie in with the "Giants in the Earth" type of thing. I have heard things like mammoth bones used to be called giant (human) bones.

Beg to differ. I've seen them myself, the ones displayed in the Mark Twain Museum in Virginia City, Nevada in the late 60's and 70's. There have been people who have examined a few bones from the many taken from the Lovelock Cave and concluded that those few were within the human range of size. Their conclusion, therefore, without examining more, were that all of the remains were normally sized and that the original excavation report was in error. Revisionist archeology. This is the sixth or seventh thread on this topic since I've been a member. I've posted quite a bit on it in the previous threads, including the information provided to me by the Nevada Historical Society.

Here's what I posted in the Conspiracy Theory thread just two weeks ago.

"There have been multiple threads on this and I find the search engine frustrating because the thread i'm looking for always seems to be omitted from the results.

Bottom line: When the remains were found, there were quite a few of them. The find was split up and various groups grabbed portions of the find. Most of the remains have since been lost or destroyed. The Mark Twain Museum in Virginia City, Nevada used to have three of the mummified skeletons on display from the late 60's to the early 80's. I viewed them several times. A prominent uranium miner in Reno had one of the skulls, which his son (a geology student at UNR at the same time as my father) used as an ashtray.

The mummified remains were a foot or two taller than the average person today and were probably more than three feet taller than the average contemporary Paiute.

The remains were taken from the Mark Twain Museum at some point by the BLM, and the last I heard some of them are now held by the Hearst Museum in California. Whether or not this is the set taken from the Mark Twain Museum, or other remains from the site, I can't say.

I did visit the Nevada State Historical Society and they later sent me articles detailing the archeological investigation of the site. Excavation of the layers revealed that the cave had been occupied by people using atlatls for centuries. Both darts and atlatls were found. Arrows were found in the topmost layer, but no bow fragments. There was evidence of a fire in the topmost layer, so overall the evidence backs up the Paiute legend of trapping them in the cave, lighting a fire at its mouth, and firing arrows into the cave as it burned.

The giants were named the stick-thrower people. This is consistent with the use of atlatls. Why would a people use atlatls when other groups were using bows for centuries? The most logical answer to me is that they were, indeed, taller as a race. Short bows are easier to make than longer bows from available materials, unless you have specialized high strength, high tensile woods. For a people with longer arms, and proportionally greater strength, the atlatl would have remained a more powerful weapon than the short bows used by Native Americans, with greater distance and felling power.

There are published articles that ostensibly debunk the original archeological report, but they examine a very limited number of bones from the remains and then insinuate that the original investigator was mistaken.

Given that a 7'-8' tall race of red haired people (this was the size of the remains I viewed) did, in fact, exist in Nevada, I pay a little more attention to reports of mound excavations in the Midwest that describe similar remains. It is clear that a race of such people did exist and that the race, as a whole, has gone extinct. It is not a stretch to assume that they were not confined to Nevada."

• Upvote 2

A+ JDL, for once again posting that very cool information. I recall reading it from the "Conspiracy Theory and Bigfoot" thread....so I have two, IMO, very repsectable posters here (JDL and Mulder) with extensive information on this subject that seems to all point to factual findings. With this in mind, why can we not see these specimens SOMEwhere? I understand, museums have to switch things up and all, but geeesh! Don't control history by eliminating important elements.

Guest poignant

AaronD, as we all know, the version of history the masses receive is told in a way to benefit those in power.

To put things in perspective, I'd like to share that as an extension to the art of farming or 'herding animals', there is an old Babylonian theory on how to 'herd people':

1. Control their access to food/water/energy/health.

2. Control their ability to trade and do business (money and commerce)

3. Control their information supply.

Inevitably, talk of giants of old will lead to talk about relig***, which we cannot go into on this forum. That's fine - there is a time and place for everything.

Why were they there? Who were they? Where did they come from? Why does modern history sweep it under the carpet?

Indeed it is the elephant in the room and an inconvenient truth to some, but to those who subscribe to a slightly different version of human history, the puzzle pieces fit.

If anyone would like to chat about this privately, feel free to PM me.

• Upvote 2

I think I have discovered another benefit of having PMP membership: seems I have more A+'s I can give out each day....Poignant I give you an A+ because I think you provide an accurate set of answers to the obvious question. I'd suggest getting PMP membership cuz in the tar pit we can talk about virtually anything, and you'd be surprised who all might agree with us :)

Guest poignant

Thanks AaronD.

Indeed, for academia to talk openly about the issue would be a game changer.

Amongst other things, it would force a rethink on human genetics and migration theory.

You know it! And with all the "highly respected" proponents who suck it up and pass on the story the general population follows it like rats to the piper.