Operation Persistence

Actually, I used what Bipto gave, which was improper binomial usage, and simply converted it to a legitimate binomial name.

Since we don't know if they are limited to the woods, the sylvatica species is in question, it would be better to name it after a person until we can verify their ecology.

They think it is an ape, but I am sure it is not of the Gorilla or Pan genus, due to continental separation of millions of years, we should call it either Pseudogorilla or Pseudopan.

this is not without precedence. Some of the Elaphid snakes of Australia, while closely related to the Naja (cobras) of Asia, are not of the same genus, but are close, so they are called Pseudonaja.

Edited by Drew

Guest poignant

Name game time.

Consider Paenehomo or Fermehomo americanus, from the latin words Paene or Ferme meaning 'almost' or 'near'.

My two cents in the billion dollar pile.

Oh. I forgot about Pseudopongo oklahomensis, or sylvaticus

Is Paene- or Ferme- used in any other binomial names?

Edited by Drew

OK, here's the deal. I'll keep actively participating in this thread if we 1) Stop debating the "is bigfoot human" thing, 2) Stop talking about DNA testing and how it may or may not relate to point one, and 3) End speculation as to what the scientific name of wood apes should be, let alone what the TBRC would or would not name them. WRT point one, the TBRC's position is fixed absent further evidence, point two is nothing more than a rehash of rumor and innuendo until Sykes or Ketchum present their findings (and already has a bunch of threads dedicated to it) and point three is simply immaterial until such time as it becomes necessary (and, I presume, involves a process much more involved than a bunch of anonymous people chatting on a web forum). I shouldn't have taken the bait on that one. I recommend a new thread on the subject (and encourage a moderator to split the relevant posts off into one).

Of course, you all can continue, but I don't need to be part of the conversation. I actually do have others things to do and probably should be doing them. Not trying to be a ****, just trying to manage the amount of time I put into this. I'm sure you understand.

Edited by bipto

No disrespect intended, but you threw a binomial out there, then when we have 2 or 3 posts about it, you get annoyed and threaten to leave? You really could manage your time properly whether we have a few posts about it, or not, couldn't you? You are a professional from what I can tell.

Edited by Drew

Guest COGrizzly

Concerning Post #905 from bipto - Please respect his wishes. Considering what's been going on elsewhere, I'd hate for them to stop sharing.

Thanks again bipto and HairyMan.

No disrespect intended, but you threw a binomial out there, then when we have 2 or 3 posts about it, you get annoyed and threaten to leave?

I had *one* post about it which I wish I hadn't. Fortunately, I am the master of my own domain (in every sense of the phrase) and can participate or not for any reason I choose. You can take my position as a threat or merely a statement of priorities. Up to you.

Several pages back I posted a gentle suggestion to keep this thread on track, it was ignored. Ok, you don't like gentle, try this. I for one am sick of all the derailings and the petty potshots at the folks from the TBRC who are trying to provide all the information they can about the operation. The next time this thread is derailed by this type of thing warnings will be issued. Is that clear enough?

This thread is about Operation Persistence Keep it on track!

Guest poignant

Bipto:

Thanks for sharing. Please ignore the trolls and deriders. Any new and/or clearer sightings since the foliage has come off? I would assume the better visibility will help with target acquisition. 70 - 100 yards seems to be about the flight/observation distance they'll keep (based on anecdotes from elsewhere).

I wouldn't go so far as to call anyone who's posted so far (or at least recently) a troll. And the foliage thing a double-edged sword, I think. On the one hand, it should make them easier to spot, but on the other, it makes them far less likely to come in close. I think the current conditions are maybe just past-peak for us. A little more foliage would make them bolder.

Sunflower- I ditto your last post. I do not agree with the TBRC philosophies either BUT I am also interested in what they are doing.Let me just state for the record that many have critizized General for the proported shooting incident however some of these same folks are less verbal about an intentional "hunt down" by the TBRC. Also I call into question the TBRC motives for a KILL. First to discover or first to Kill?

Also I call into question the TBRC motives for a KILL. First to discover or first to Kill?

If you're suggesting we're blood thirsty and look at this as some kind of sport, I can assure you that is absolutely and totally wrong. Nobody in the group with whom I'm familiar *wants* to kill any ape. We'd be quite happy with stumbling upon remains or even with someone else bringing in the proof. This isn't about fame and fortune, it's about real science and legitimate wildlife conservation.

Edited by bipto

Guest baboonpete

No disrespect intended, but you threw a binomial out there, then when we have 2 or 3 posts about it, you get annoyed and threaten to leave? You really could manage your time properly whether we have a few posts about it, or not, couldn't you? You are a professional from what I can tell.

its called an exit strategy

Bipto:

Thanks for sharing. Please ignore the trolls and deriders. Any new and/or clearer sightings since the foliage has come off? I would assume the better visibility will help with target acquisition. 70 - 100 yards seems to be about the flight/observation distance they'll keep (based on anecdotes from elsewhere).

Censorship attempt dully noted, deriders merely disagree with you, it does happen.

If you're suggesting we're blood thirsty and look at this as some kind of sport, I can assure you that is absolutely and totally wrong. Nobody in the group with whom I'm familiar *wants* to kill any ape. We'd be quite happy with stumbling upon remains or even with someone else bringing in the proof. This isn't about fame and fortune, it's about real science and legitimate wildlife conservation.

bag one, tag one, get your specimen and solve the thing.

Guest thermalman

^^Bipto. Do you guys have a thermal camera at your disposal? That would make a huge difference for spotting something in the distance once the foilage is off. :)