Stick Structures?

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

Cervelo, I never would have guessed you're a believer! What is it that convinces you to believe in Bigfoot? The sighting reports, an experience of your own...?

The video you just linked to is definitely more convincing in the "nature did it" argument for what the guy is filming than the first video with the bowed tree. If someone had posted that as evidence of Bigfoot activity, I would have given it the side-eye. <_<

I went out of town this weekend and took my puppy for a walk on a jogging trail at a natural park. My friend who came with us says that she hardly ever sees anybody at the park.

the stated location has me thinking this was manmade, when folks present these structure pics the first thing I look at is the surrounding area if it's open or showing signs of young trees(regrowth) then there's a good chance what people see as structures are actually decaying slash piles. Loggers with the use of skidders will make piles to clear their work area and as these piles break down(little branches first) they'll shift. In you case since this is a developed area with a manmade trail to me means this is just reminents of the piles that were there.

As for the bent saplings I could post a dozen picks ( just from my woodlot)of little trees pinned down only by their tip, some still have a branch drapped over them and are still alive, other have died and the offending branch has long decayed leaving no trace.

Guest Cervelo

JenJen,

I believe they could be out there, but have very little confidence in the evidence and even less in most "researchers".

I've had a few "what the heck was that" moments and one stalking incident when I was much younger.

But my time spent outdoors is mostly spent doing other things while keeping and eye out for cool stuff.

While it may be hard to believe the eyewitness reports are the most interesting to me because the choices are very limited as opposed to the interpetation of things found in the woods.

I've found this a couple of years ago in a very difficult to access site...

09e86287.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Woodswalker - at first I didn't understand why you were talking about them laying down, but then I realized it's because I must have suggested that the bowed persimmon structure was a bedding place. I didn't mean to infer that, I just thought it was some sort of symbolic structure like the single bent pines, etc. that people often report seeing in areas of BF activity. But, it's very interesting to know that they leave lots of hair when they lay down. I wonder why?

Peter - very informative post. My friend told me that the park sustained some damage from Hurricane Rita and it was closed for about a year while it was being cleaned it up. So you may very well be right that the structures I took pictures of are from decaying slash piles. Thanks for weighing in! I now believe it could as likely be from the park cleanup as it could be from a Bigfoot.

Cervelo - holy moly, that is a massive "stick" structure. Is it on top of a mound of some kind? And it looks like all of the pieces of wood have jagged ends from being broken off, rather than cut. That's really pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing!

OK, here is one for you. A couple of weeks ago, myself, my wife and grandson along with a pretty well known bigfoot person (who I will not name here) was all camping on our hunting property. There had recently been a pine much like the above Youtube video, that was bent over in a perfect bow. It had a big dead log placed on the top to pin it down. This happened in the past couple of days as it was right beside my Dad's hunting blind and there was nothing prior 2 days before.

Nope, can't say I've ever seen anything like a tree arch/bow-hunting blind type thing.....

ImportedPhotos00011.jpg

ImportedPhotos00008.jpg

:guitar:

Woodswalker - at first I didn't understand why you were talking about them laying down, but then I realized it's because I must have suggested that the bowed persimmon structure was a bedding place. I didn't mean to infer that, I just thought it was some sort of symbolic structure like the single bent pines, etc. that people often report seeing in areas of BF activity. But, it's very interesting to know that they leave lots of hair when they lay down. I wonder why?

Yes JenJen, it was to offer my observations that you could add and compare to yours. To answer your question, I believe they scootch around just like we do when reposed. To get comfy you know? That movement pulls on the hairs pinned under the body and out comes hair. That is part of a larger hypothesis as to why we got so many hairs of length and with root materials.

To expound on the structure discussion, based on field observations they do not construct shelter but seek it out in the natural environment. We have found evidence to support they may stack rocks and other objects. If structures found seem to indicate a purpose behind their construction, analyze them as such. Look for evidence of something siting or kneeling in/around/behind the structure. You might just find a nice patch of hair or good print. Observe, empathize and emulate. That will tell you if that structure was likely used/useful by/to a bipedal animal. Most of the time it is natural occurrence.

Like gold prospecting =) Won't find it if you don't look.

Edited by Woodswalker

Thanks, Woodswalker! I'm a big sissy. It's at great odds with my sense of adventure. I was spooked when I saw these things and could barely bring myself to step off the trail to photograph them from different angles, haha! :blush: I didn't crawl inside or look at the ground in any detail, but I knew I should have. I need to go exploring with someone big enough to hide behind!

^Is that top pic near a river maybe a flood plain?

It's near the top of a hill. The river hadn't gotten that high since the glaciers melted.

^Is the top of the hill very windy? LOL, even I wouldn't look at a pile of wood on a floodplain and think it had anything to do with man or Bigfoot.

Thanks for sharing your pics, WesT! *filing them away in my mental database*

Perhaps the only way to pin down most stick structures is thru observation and assigning a time to construction...otherwise for many it's just weird sticks in the forest... caused by humans or nature...

Exceptions are the amazing large tree trunk tee-pees, which often evade explanation regardless of when made...

KBHunter, noting the appearance is the kind of data needed for these smaller ones and your observations lend credence IMO...

I also have photos of these things and a few I am convinced are BFs b/c of time, etc (and I did my best to document those particulars), but many I am convinced are by humans or naturally occurring......

the Forest Service often manages brush and creates smaller "tee pees" of the deadfall... I have photos of those (not unlike that above) as well and they occur everywhere in the Nat'l forests b/c of fire control..and over time these become earthen mounds....years, but they do eventually...and I have seen recently someone wonder if all the "mounds" in a field are BF related burials....doubt that and don't think they can go dig them up (officially anyway since BFs don't exist they would be digging into NA "mounds") but, it's an example of perhaps not understanding the workings of the FS or nature and jumping to BF...? Not sure why I am posting here...as I don't think my thoughts are unique....just agreeing we need to "tighten" our observations of these....?

So yeah, I do think this is a BF related phenomenon, but we must do better to document their appearance...? lol sorry..it's dark am and not ready to start my day....much more fun to think about a BF in the woods putting up a tree structure to communicate...something?

Edited by apehuman

Perhaps the only way to pin down most stick structures is thru observation and assigning a time to construction...

and amount of energy expended to build, a simple tree across a deer trail to funnel the prey into a better ambush point seems doable but the Parthenon of the woods doesn't.

Edited by peter

^Is the top of the hill very windy?

I'm sure there is wind there just like anywhere else. :) When the witness first saw the structure it was early spring. At that time it was about 9 ft tall, almost completely enclosed (except for the backside) and covered in broken but still green pine branches. Since then it has been partially disassembled and has been in a state of degradation. Here's a pic of the tree bow in front of the structure that shows it being held down by a log. Notice the tree bow is devoid of any brances.

DSC00334.jpg

LOL, even I wouldn't look at a pile of wood on a floodplain and think it had anything to do with man or Bigfoot.

Amen. I don't even give those a second look.

Thanks for sharing your pics, WesT! *filing them away in my mental database*

No problem jen, you're welcome. Here's a side shot of the suspected hunting blind.

ImportedPhotos00319.jpg

ImportedPhotos00316.jpg

Have you returned to the area where you found the structures and looked for more?

Thanks for the additional pictures! I totally missed the big X made out of those extremely long, skinny trees in the first two pics! It seems to me like the X formations are a classic BF signs. I am really amazed at how long that tree is in the second pic, going diagonally across the frame. (PS: I hope you know I was joking when I asked if the hill was windy... Just poking fun at the whole "it must be caused by the weather" thing).

Apehuman, I am so glad you weighed in! I learned a lot from your post re: Forest Service practices and things that might set BF structures apart from Forest Service deadfall tipis. And you've spent years researching the Bigfoots, had contact with a family group for an extended period of time, and always put so much thought into interpreting what you've observed & experienced. I always appreciate your input!

ETA: WesT, no I haven't returned to the area because it's 3.5 hours away from me, and I need to go with someone big enough to hide behind next time! I tried to go back the next day, in the morning, but I just couldn't bring myself to go into the woods alone.

Edited by JenJen of Oldstones

Thank you JenJen, my first reaction was to say, "Oh, not years..." but now it seems four years fairly intensive in the field is something of experience, but no expert on BFs, no lol...so much is still unknown! That's part of what keeps us so fascinated I guess

Peter, yes, and plausibility....or probabilities enter in with diminishing time frames or increasing difficulty/motivation.....

I have about three or four such events/finds over the four years that I put on the "more probable than not BF" side, which is weak isn't it? But, its says I think it is more probable BF than human...51 to 49% chance! .lol Not scientific certainty or even close, but that is our standard of Civil Law certainty (think about that as a defendant or plaintiff!) and I guess worth something...to me.... certainty difficult to translate to others unwilling to believe BFs even exist. Contrast that with many dozens of "events or structures" I have seen in that area and can easily attribute to humans (even if untrue, but plausible..that "more probable" than not)... it still leaves what I think is a significant "anomaly!" and agree there is something "going on" with stick structures in the forest..some anyway....

I do pay some attention to others photos etc and have done some trolling on the net and think others have similar "experiences" documented, some pretty amazing actually.....but, how to make sense of it or use it?... Meaningful information so depends on observation over time of an area...and then also cross correlation to others data that are also doing similar long term observations (and some shared baseline of what that method is?) to arrive at perhaps some "universal symbols" etc....(.too many turns in that research path right now to be workable or reliable)? So, mostly I don't advance too much along those lines but it seems plausible and promising as a window into their purposes and communications....what can I say?

No point to that post I guess, except to continue the conversation it seems obvious I am sure to many.