The Kill Club

norseman

• 2 weeks later...

So I am one of those contingency type folks...which even though I am not planning on shooting a BF (or Mogollon Monster in my neck o the woods...MM), I am planning on using hunting tactics. I am a veteran of Iraq (boots on the ground, so actual combat experience) which I mention because of that whole "contingency" thing. My contingency is to be able to defend myself if I become the hunted.

My strategy is to get as close as possible to MM for photos. That could obviously create a very dangerous situation. Without knowledge of how intelligent MM is (human or bear-like) the risk cannot be properly quantified. Therefore, I will assume I am approaching a "scout" or decoy and atleast one or more have eyes on me with intent to harm me.

I have a bit of an issue, my firearms are based on defense against people. Therefore, they are all CXP1/2 class firearms. I am using that system because I identify firearms as classes. I gave up on that whole 9mm vs. .40 vs .45 long ago, so now similar cartridges fall into categories, the CXP system seems easy and most people understand it (that hunt). I group MM into CXP3, which a .270 is sufficient under IDEAL or atleast favorable/neutral conditions, but depending on the animal, etc not for defense. (Based on physical descriptions I find it hard to put it in CXP4).

I do hunt deer (whitetail/mule), hogs and elk. I use a .270 and never had a problem with proper shot placement taking clean kills, but hunting is different than defense obviously. For defense, my hardest hitting sidearm is a 1911 (well tested and reliability confirmed) in .45 ACP and longarm in .270 and a 12 ga. Would a hot 200 or 230 gr Buffalo Bore type load be sufficient for the .45? I know it would be better than a sharp stick...

The shotgun with a top folding stock slung over my back would be my first thought although I'm sure I can find a bullet/load for the .270 that would be sufficient, its just that a pump gun feels faster than a bolt gun. Shotgun would be relatively compact so I wouldn't be tempted to leave it in the truck, etc...eventhough folding stocks are horrible to shoot...I do have one and can switch out the stock when I go squatchin. I have a sizeable number of Dupo 28 slugs I got on sale a few years ago and I've fired many, many through the shotty so I am relatively accurate to 50-80 yards and I have seen what they do to a 300lb hog and they were developed for hunting brown bears.

What do y'all think about the shotgun with Dupo 28's? I have a spare AR lower laying around and I was thinking about building a 300 blackout (not for squatch), but would it be a better idea to instead shift gears and go with one of the big bore AR options? (50 Beowulf, 458 Socom,etc)

Should I not bother with the 1911 and go with either a 10mm or .44 mag or one of the larger revolvers intended for bear defense? I only own the 1911 and a Sig in 9mm.

Edited by Caenus

SSR Team

I think if you base the risk assessment on something that is highly likely in the 7ft, 500lb range that has gone seemingly unnoticed by near 400m people in the US alone, you're concluding that it doesn't have the intelligence of just a Bear as if it had, that it wouldn't have gone unnoticed.

I think the risk assessment for this is real simple personally.

You chose to put yourself in its environment, where it dictates things, not you.

You have no ides of it is a omnivore or not but should air on the side of caution and assume it is.

Potentially this thing could be bad, bad news due to its intelligence, size and probable diet.

I think the risk assessment is high level personally but we obviously aren't talking about some random, mindless animal that just kills for the sake of it, this thing is seriously smart in its own domain and you must, must, must use its curiosity to your advantage.

You're not going to go out into the woods with an arsenal of weapons up to your eyeballs and hunt and ultimately shoot one because you're not dictating things in the forest, it is.

I've said it before and i'll say it again until i'm blue in the face, you must gain its trust then switch on it and if anyone is to ever get a body, you have to do something that is really wrong, you have to show no morals and you have to be completely untrustworthy by gaining its trust and then doing what you've got to do.

I'm just saying this in general Caenus, not directly at you but if you are thinking of doing what you're saying above, don't go alone whatever you do, no matter what your experience.

And i don't say that solely because of Sasquatch, i just say it in general.

Read the 411 books first of all, especially the do's and dont's associated with strange wilderness disappearances.

Secondly, the only weapon in your arsenal that I would give the nod too is that 12 gauge. Loaded with a good slug it's a charge stopper at close range.

Good luck

I hear you BobbyO. I am kind of a "lone wolf" as it goes. I hope to photograph it nonconfrontationally, but the defensive firearms are a JIC.

I'll try to find the 411 books, anyone have a link?

Thanks for the feedback.

If I were to put myself in a "kill or no kill" camp, I'd say no kill, but if it's between me or "IT", I'd definitely try to atleast come out of it on the "not so loss" side.

My wife is also an avid hunter...she is Cajun and has one hell of a sixth sense. Between the two of us hopefully we can get what we need and get away safely.

As it is, we are very good about giving coordinates of our planned outings and we have a strong sense of "we are in too deep...back out now".

Truth be told she is one hell of a tenacious beast herself when she needs to be. I'd take her and her intuition/grit over most guys (read Seal Team 6) most days. She's scary. Lol. If she says "let's go, this doesn't feel right", I've learned to listen.

The biggest problem is...... Is that tranquilizer is a controlled substance.

Even if I wanted to run the risk you had mentioned I would have to be a accredited vet first to buy the stuff.

What would be the effect of large amounts of liquidized marijuana? Could by crates of the stuff in Colorado now....   :codemafia:

Edited by Trogluddite

Ran logging roads today, we have below normal snow levels. Did some bush whacking with my snow shoes as well.......just saw bobcat, deer and rabbit tracks.

SSR Team

She's scary. Lol. If she says "let's go, this doesn't feel right", I've learned to listen.

If she starts to say that, get your camera out..;)

Those books are the real deal, it's well worth laying out the $$ on one or both just to see a different perspective and one that maybe would amend your view of the threat level possibly.

But it might not, everyone's different of course, they are good books though and are what they are.

I've seen them recently at pretty serious money, I think the cheapest place to buy them is from the link that Norseman provided, maybe look around.

• 2 weeks later...

Project Grendel is being bombarded with spam bots. If you have joined our forum and have not received a confirmation approval shoot me a pm here with your forum name and ill fix it .

Thx

Well we found an area within two hours drive of my house that a friend and I are going to scout out for the next few months 

Hoping to get out there a couple of times a month and see if it is worth setting camp up in the area 

He is an avid hunter so it should be fun 

norseman, I'm MagniAesir's partner on this little venture, so I think I can jump in here. Yes, there is a lot of deep, dark timber, as well as frequent clear cuts, in a roughly 20 mile long creek drainage. The entry to the valley is a fairly steep canyon, but further in, it widens out, and even has a decent size lake, and several smaller ponds through its length. The site is in the Coast range, on the west facing side, so it's typical temperate rain forest habitat. The area for many miles to the east and west has a long history of BF sightings, from natives pre-European contact, through the fur trading era, the 1858 gold rush era, the building of the CPR, right up to the recent past.

I won't get any more specific than this, as there have been a number of recent hoaxing incedents in the general area, and we don't want to risk shooting any costumed dudes trying to fool us. I know that you share that concern, as well, and your AO is a lot less populated than ours.