The Kill Club

norseman

For hifliers camp shuffle. 8 might be a bit close to a higher primates ability to visually count. 10 or 11 people might be better.

Houdinis trick was that he had 10 stagehands setting up the illusion and milling around looking busy, whereupon he could exit the box or whatever while the "setup" was still going on dressed as a stagehand... and because 11 people milling around is not obviously different to audience (visually) from 10, he'd just walk off stage in plain view.... then I forget what was supposed to happen, he blew the box up he was supposed to be in or something and reappeared at the back of the auditorium. Point being, you can fool people like that, you can fool sas like that.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and since my hunting season this year has been wrecked due to the company I work for being sold 

I am doing an overnight trip this weekend 

Not sure if I am taking my 450 marlin or just a camera and shotgun 

Don't know if it has been posted here yet Norse, but if you've not heard the interview of the man in Tazwell County VA who claims to have plugged a Sasquatch out of at tree about a decade ago, I would encorage you to find it. Cryptomundo has it posted.

I listened to it, what did you find compelling about the story?

Edited by norseman

norseman,

Are you saying you didn't find it compelling?  It's just a story, I agree, and without physical evidence it doesn't add a lot of weight to things, but the guy is either telling the truth or is an incredible actor.

No that is not what am saying. It's not about the belief as much as what can we mine from this story to make us more successful?

I'll start,

The animals were running in a pair

They let a armed man walk up on them by following the larger ones trackway

The larger animal was trying to conceal itself and the smaller animal climbed a tree

The rifle a .243 was able to incapacitate the smaller animal

The larger animal did not retaliate but instead went to the aid of the other

The larger animal was able to negotiate a 30 ft cliff while packing the other. Reminiscent of the Ostman story of observing climbing sheer cliffs

Did I miss anything?

Edited by norseman

Norseman. The picture in post #429 the second picture down you were asking for ideas. http://www.santetraps.com/  . I think it may be a variation of this trap but most likely an insect trap put out by environment or forest service study. I have seen something deployed around here near streams when the forestry department wants to access how many as well as if any at all of an insect is present in the area. The ones I usually see I cannot find a picture of , but they have a plastic or cardboard  X with a plastic container under . they usually are yellow ( I guess maybe to attract the target species). 

Rex felt in the other thread that it was put out to collect pine beetles, I concur.

Thanks for the find, it looks like Rex was right.

Norse, yes, most of my take-aways as well. (Without having to say it, this assumes the narrative is truthful).  A couple of more though...

1. It is a distinct possibility the larger animal was carrying the smaller one, thus the single set of tracks. Of course, an alternate explanation is the smaller one approached from a different direction.

2. Neither recognized the rifle as a weapon that could inflict deadly harm to them. Either that, or they DID and  believed their best bet was to remain still and as non-threatening as possible. (Well, wrong again, if so!)

3. The animals were in a habitat, and during a time of year, when forage would have been extremely scarce. Protein in the form of deer and smaller critters would have been the presumed diet.

4. Shooters need lawyers.

5. When you are afraid, your path of least resistance is to fall back on action by impulse if you have no training. This man had situational awareness, but he had trained for the wrong situation (i.e. bear) and he was unable to grasp what was happening, when it happened. Above all else, the terror brought on by that surprise almost overwhelmed him.    

Norse, yes, most of my take-aways as well. (Without having to say it, this assumes the narrative is truthful).  A couple of more though...

1. It is a distinct possibility the larger animal was carrying the smaller one, thus the single set of tracks. Of course, an alternate explanation is the smaller one approached from a different direction.

2. Neither recognized the rifle as a weapon that could inflict deadly harm to them. Either that, or they DID and  believed their best bet was to remain still and as non-threatening as possible. (Well, wrong again, if so!)

3. The animals were in a habitat, and during a time of year, when forage would have been extremely scarce. Protein in the form of deer and smaller critters would have been the presumed diet.

4. Shooters need lawyers.

5. When you are afraid, your path of least resistance is to fall back on action by impulse if you have no training. This man had situational awareness, but he had trained for the wrong situation (i.e. bear) and he was unable to grasp what was happening, when it happened. Above all else, the terror brought on by that surprise almost overwhelmed him.    

1) I think it's safe to assume that he simply did not cut the other track way because they were not traveling together directly.

2) The big one hid and the smaller one presented itself as a target in a tree, two distinctly different responses to a threat. That could convey that the smaller one did not have the experience needed. It also convey's that the bigger one was unable to verbally or otherwise, warn the smaller one.

3) Or they had a den with summer grub rat holed away.

4) Or proof. Make no mistake if the law thinks your illegally shooting Bear? They are going to come after you.

5) I think this is the biggest lesson, the man was alone. (two is one and one is none) It's not a good situation to be in........and if there was two? What about three? Without a 360 degree situational awareness and things happening fast? This could have easily been a 411 story. One man cannot cover a 360 degree battle space, he is exposed to his flanks and direct rear.

If the story is true of course, but taking it at face value? This is some of my observations.

• Upvote 1

I listened to the first 15 minutes last night before bed

Imho the guy did some very unhunter like things

I posted my thoughts on the original thread 

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic