The Kill Club

norseman

I agree with Norseman. Dangerous game is dangerous game and when you hunt dangerous game you know you are taking a risk no matter what the species. Trying to scare others by saying if you miss it or wound it that you are going to be killed is just idiotic.  A 200 yard shot to the chest with something of a 30-06 or bigger will have no problems putting something of that size down ethically. And it isnt going to cross 100-200 yards and get you either. 

You will have a few more shots at it if it does manage to stagger towards you with a hole in its chest the size of a baseball.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Smeja supposedly shot one straight in the chest with a 25-06 and it still managed to get up and run away.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

I use a .257 Roberts Improved but I wouldn't hunt anything larger than deer with it. It's actually my long range coyote gun.

I agree with Norseman. Dangerous game is dangerous game and when you hunt dangerous game you know you are taking a risk no matter what the species. Trying to scare others by saying if you miss it or wound it that you are going to be killed is just idiotic.  A 200 yard shot to the chest with something of a 30-06 or bigger will have no problems putting something of that size down ethically. And it isnt going to cross 100-200 yards and get you either. 

You will have a few more shots at it if it does manage to stagger towards you with a hole in its chest the size of a baseball.

Not trying to scare others. I am looking at it from the angel that I have read from many hunters that have seen one through the scope of a rifle or the sights. There is a different fear that comes over them. Not one of "Oh this could kill me if i miss or wound it". More the human-ish aspect of said creature. Many hunters have stated they feared getting in trouble with the law or the post mental stress some might call it of shooting something that appeared so close to human. That is what I am looking at. Face it if you go hunting for one in the woods and i becomes known you are going to have some idiot dressing up in a suit or playing a hoax. We have seen before think of the man who dressed in a ghile suit in hopes of sparking a bigfoot sighting and getting hit by multiple cars and killed. I know personally soldiers who have said when you shot at another person in combat it can come back to haunt you. It can make you freeze in the moment. Know some that say you do not even notice you pulled the trigger until it is all over. That is one angle I was looking at, take it as you will. 

Also several hunters have stated that they felt a fear simply by seeing said creature. A primal fear. Something that just seemed to hold them. It locked eyes with them, its scream, etc. It held them. Seeing something not suppose to be there by right of general knowledge (Known animals). Some have reported it made them feel sick or relieve themselves. If you are not expecting it you may be caught off guard. 

Though the issue of "You take a shot and it might kill you". Think about it many hunters who have seen it have stated they felt if they shot at it or hit it their rifle would only make it madder (some reports 12 gauge, .30-06). Also some claim the creature travels in groups. So say you wound one do the others run or protect? Do we really know the answer? 

Take it as you will. I am not against the pro kill movement (read my earlier post of needing a body to prove). I am for it. However not everyone is scared in the same way. I am looking at a section of reports that seems to state and support fear is present in the face of these creatures. Fear when it comes to pulling the trigger can be an issue. Not trying to scare someone I am simply trying to look at another aspect or angle. For me, I am not fully sure if I could do it. Guess it would depend on the situation. If I felt threaten or felt those with me in danger yeah I know I could. If it was me alone in my blind on on the trail looking for deer, I truly do not know. Though it is something to consider.

My one brother in law did claim to have panicked and hotfooting back to his truck when he saw one while bear hunting

Before his encounterh e felt on fools and the weak minded believed in sasquatch

I guess the fact that it is a myth and there is so much legend to follow that this creature would take on some type of mystical or magical or superman beast like qualities in the eyes of some. If the creature exists it is not made of superduper skin nor does he/it wear body armor. We are talking about an animal and probably very similar to a gorilla or grizzly as far as the epidermal, muscle and bone structure is concerned. If you dont hit a grizzly in the right place that thing will run away and same thing with a bigfoot. You shoot it in the arm or shoulder or gut and he wont go down but if you hit the heart/chest/lungs or head he is dropping on the spot if you use something like a 308/30-06 or bigger.  I would think a premium bullet would be best also like a Barnes TSX or some type that is not an FMJ like bullet. 

I agree 100% with you woodslore about being scared.  The urban legend/myth is scary to people.  Look at Les Stroud on his latest episodes.  He is downright scared.  When you are a big game hunter you have to overcome your fears. When you are hunting Bigfoot you have to also overcome your fears if you decide to hunt the big fella. Personally I will stick to hogs but my hog hunting spot happens to be in bigfoot central.

I cant imagine getting within 50 yards of a large male grizzly. A grizzly is absolutely terrifying and I would categorize it in the same danger level and just as terrifying as facing a bigfoot.  Both are 10X stronger, both are 3X faster and both will need to be hit in the right place with the right bullet.  Neither one of them do I want charging me unless I have a bazooka in my hand. But both are just dangerous game. No more no less. No fire coming out of his eyes or magical qualities that he is insusceptible to bullets. Just an animal like all other creatures on the planet.

I dont understand why some want to make it in to some super duper being.

Nobody has shot a bigfoot yet so I dont think we have to worry about it any time soon. Lots of claims but I havent seen one yet.

I will admit that I no longer carry an AR for hunting pigs.  I now carry a 30-06 because of the "WHOOP" I heard in February of 2013. So yes the power of suggestion has influenced me also.  But I still go back there and hunt by myself every chance I can without hesitation. Hunting pigs that is not bigfoot. I will now be looking for evidence of Bigfoot.

Would I take a human life in self defense. I think so. Would I take a bigfoot in self defense. Oh yes!!  But I am not out to hunt it because I agree with you about the local authorities.  What complications would I have with the park Ranger on a National Forest when I tell him I shot a bigfoot and ask him to help me drag it out. 

I doubt you want eat it I bet it will taste gamey!!! LOL

..."Though the issue of "You take a shot and it might kill you". Think about it many hunters who have seen it have stated they felt if they shot at it or hit it their rifle would only make it madder (some reports 12 gauge, .30-06). Also some claim the creature travels in groups. So say you wound one do the others run or protect? Do we really know the answer? "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys, this is what makes me afraid for those of you who talk about hunting one down and bringing in a body. I have no doubt that you are accomplished hunters and outdoorsmen. None at all. I'm sure you would choose a powerful weapon, etc. However, we just don't know if, or how other clan members or family groups would react. How will you be absolutely sure that there are no others in the area?

How can you KNOW what their reaction will be? Will you be prepared to handle 6 or 8 in less than one minute? From what I've read, some of you seem to discount this theory. Please do consider this as a potential scenario, and plan accordingly.

As a mother, I will protect and defend my daughter and family with deadly force if necessary. I practice regularly. My intuition/gut instinct tells me that a BF would defend theirs also. Most creatures will. I believe that it is far safer and wiser to over - estimate my opponent, don't you?

It's very likely you won't get a "do - over". Good luck. Be safe.

BeachNut

• 2 weeks later...

When you're hunting Brown bears, your head needs to be on a swivel.  These are dumb animals, and yet they very frequently sense they're being tracked, circle around, and will come up on you from behind.  One minute you're stalking/hunting, the next, you're being stalked/hunted.

And bears are dumb.

You wound one, he's highly irritated.  And good luck.

You shoot a Bigfooot with a big bore, you have a 50/50 chance he drops right there.  I also believe you may only see one, but that too, is another 50/50 chance he's alone.

And these things are not dumb.

A number of events where bow hunters are killed, rifle hunters are killed, even two game wardens shooting up their weapons at something, and aren't found until the following Spring - none of them killed by bears, cougars, wolves, or men.

Certainty is an elusive thing.  And sometimes, you don't get a do-over.

SSR Team

..."Though the issue of "You take a shot and it might kill you". Think about it many hunters who have seen it have stated they felt if they shot at it or hit it their rifle would only make it madder (some reports 12 gauge, .30-06). Also some claim the creature travels in groups. So say you wound one do the others run or protect? Do we really know the answer? "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys, this is what makes me afraid for those of you who talk about hunting one down and bringing in a body. I have no doubt that you are accomplished hunters and outdoorsmen. None at all. I'm sure you would choose a powerful weapon, etc. However, we just don't know if, or how other clan members or family groups would react. How will you be absolutely sure that there are no others in the area?

How can you KNOW what their reaction will be? Will you be prepared to handle 6 or 8 in less than one minute? From what I've read, some of you seem to discount this theory. Please do consider this as a potential scenario, and plan accordingly.

As a mother, I will protect and defend my daughter and family with deadly force if necessary. I practice regularly. My intuition/gut instinct tells me that a BF would defend theirs also. Most creatures will. I believe that it is far safer and wiser to over - estimate my opponent, don't you?

It's very likely you won't get a "do - over". Good luck. Be safe.

BeachNut

Contingency, contingency and another contingency IMO, and it can be done.

Personally I hold these thing in the highest respect in their own domain and think anyone that wouldn't would need their head tested.

I'm with you for sure, overestimating these things is a must and underestimating them could be disastrous.

I've never thought they travel solely alone and think that they are always within at least earshot of at least another one if not more and that's on top of being far superior in that forest to any human being on this planet.

If anyone would think differently, I don't see how they'd move forward in attempting to kill one.

None of the above means that it can't be done though.

There are reams of LEO reports where perpetrators were shot multiple times by large/magnum caliber weapons yet managed to either survive and/or get off shots of their own into the other party.

Two items that are (IMO) requisite in dangerous game situations is bullet construction and bullet placement.

The caliber is (IMO) less of a factor than a bullet that will maintain integrity and penetration.

Also, either you would have to hit/break the upper spinal column or place a CNS shot to sustain immediate disablement/death of the target.

Trying to accomplish such a feat in likely the most emotionally charged situation a shooter will ever encounter is (IMO) destined for a very low success ratio.

Couple this with the very real possibility of multiple subjects/targets and the likelihood for disaster is increased exponentially.

IMO, that's likely why Smeja was successful with the shooting as he didn't have time to really think, just react even though he FUBAR'd it, after the fact.

Edited by Yuchi1

SSR Team

I'm not so sure I'd agree with a couple of points Yuchi.

I think the Sniper type situation from something such as a tree stand will give the best chance of success you can have, hence why I always raise my hand for that and push it, and it's why I will always push the sniper being someone who is fully aware of this animals existence so the element of surprise when one is in the sights is taken away as is the emotion because make no mistake, someone who isn't fully aware that these things exist is going to have emotional issues (surprise) when they see one which is only natural.

The second thing is multiple targets, although I believe they may travel in small groups I don't think they do literally and 6% of sightings across the North American Continent in over 2k analysed would back that up somewhat.

Of course and as I said yesterday, contingency plans would have to be made for it, but it wouldn't be impossible to counter against.

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic