Will All Of You Please Sign This Petition To Protect The Sasquatch?

Cervelo, right on about the signature only meaning a review and response. Recently enough signatures were collected on a request for the US gov. to build a "Death Star" at the price of 850,000,000,000,000,000. No I am not kidding. Needless to say the gov. has already given their response and we will not be building a death star anytime soon. No one will take this seriously until the species is proven. Yep, like you said Carts and horses.

First of all I want to say that this idea of the petition has it's heart in the right place.

I'm a big game hunter, I'm also very much a "pro kill" proponent..........and while I suppose for some this would not be a surprise? Hear me out. If a mountain gorilla hunt was legal, and it cost me one dollar? I would never go. And I think that same thing could be said of most big game hunters out there. I view apes as our cousins, they are my FAVORITE animals to view at the zoo. And I would never kill one for sport. Another basic tenet in western hunting is that you eat what you kill. Many laws are out there in many states where it is a crime to waste game meat. I also do not know of any hunters craving ape flesh..........

I cannot speak for Justin Smeja, after listening to his interview, I still have not got a line on what was going through his head. But with that said? Thank god for Justin Smeja! Without his actions? This DNA study would NOT be possible And while I do not hold great hope in this DNA coming to a resolution for the species? I certainly hope that it does. It would be sad to think that those two Squatch died in vain. If I had been there, I would have gone about it in a entirely different fashion to ensure that there would be no question about they being a new species. Instead this DNA study reminds me of a game winning sixty yard field goal attempt simply because we already botched the touch down attempt. It's making the best of a bad situation..........trying to salvage something from the event.

If this DNA study comes back as more conjecture, then I'm resolved myself with harvesting a type specimen to prove their existence.........why?

Because for me I see many greater threats to the species than a redneck road hunting trip. Ever increasing urban sprawl, road building, dam building, mining and clear cutting all eat up valuable habitat. And without species recognition, science will not take a hard look at the health of the population, habitat encroachment, environmental impact studies............none of it.

Look at another large, rare omnivore, the Grizzly bear, and how precarious of a situation do they find themselves in over the past century?

No, I'm convinced that the only real hope for this species it that they come out from the shadows in the company of pixies and gnomes and trolls and take their rightful place next to real tangible animals that inhabit north America.

If this DNA study falls flat? We need a body.........science demands a body, read what the skeptics say in this forum of ours...........only with a body can we move forward with protection of this species. I wish it wasn't that way, I would rather observe them than harm them, but I guess in cheesy Spock logic "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

And that it truly how I see this issue.

I am all for leaving the SSq alone, but this is just silly. There are already protocols in place for such a concern. http://www.fws.gov/e...cies/index.html

Even if somehow the size of their population can be ascertained, and it does fall into the endangered or threatened category (which I doubt)there will be automatic protections. However if the population sizes are healthy (which I believe)and the DNA shows a human link (which I feel it will) then there will still be protections that come along by proxy. Now granted I don't think SSq has anything to be concerned about and I dont want to get into what if scenarios but signing this petition will have zero effect on any kind of policy going forward. Even if protections are put in place from one direction or another, the reality is there will be attempts made to hunt them. I mean as human beings we have in our history hunted one another so SSq isn't going to be any different. I don't like that reality one bit, but its happening and will continue to happen IMHO. If anything good can come from any attempts to hunt them it may be to show just how cunning these fellas really are, and what fools we can be at times.

Edited by ThePhaige

I am all for leaving the SSq alone, but this is just silly. There are already protocols in place for such a concern. http://www.fws.gov/e...cies/index.html

Even if somehow the size of their population can be ascertained, and it does fall into the endangered or threatened category (which I doubt)there will be automatic protections. However if the population sizes are healthy (which I believe)and the DNA shows a human link (which I feel it will) then there will still be protections that come along by proxy. Now granted I don't think SSq has anything to be concerned about and I dont want to get into what if scenarios but signing this petition will have zero effect on any kind of policy going forward. Even if protections are put in place from one direction or another, the reality is there will be attempts made to hunt them. I mean as human beings we have in our history hunted one another so SSq isn't going to be any different. I don't like that reality one bit, but its happening and will continue to happen IMHO. If anything good can come from any attempts to hunt them it may be to show just how cunning these fellas really are, and what fools we can be at times.

They will not have to be linked to humans in any way shape or form to receive "special" protections.

If it's an ape? It's the worlds ONLY BIPEDAL, NON TROPICAL NORTH AMERICAN APE...........the finding would be HUGE.

The only way you could kill one legally is if it was trying to devour you and your children inside your own living room..........mark my words.

Guest RedRatSnake

If you believe BF exist, why wouldn't you sign it ? What possible damage can it do to sign this petition ?

there is no downside and very good possible upside to signing it, so again, if you believe, why not Sign it, it takes

30 seconds at best.

The Government uses facts not feelings.

This species is not human.

Just curious, SSQ. Did a "Ketchum DNA expert insider" tell you this also?

For many years, a part of me has had a sneaking suspicion that if we really knew (and understood) all there was to know about bigfoot, instead of "protecting" them, our reaction might be more along the lines of extermination. Until we actually know what we're dealing with you can count me out.

• Upvote 1

They will not have to be linked to humans in any way shape or form to receive "special" protections.

If it's an ape? It's the worlds ONLY BIPEDAL, NON TROPICAL NORTH AMERICAN APE...........the finding would be HUGE.

The only way you could kill one legally is if it was trying to devour you and your children inside your own living room..........mark my words.

You are absolutely correct of course, not trying to be a smart ass here really ... but I kind of figured that was self evident. Even if its a hairy leprechaun with a latent tall gene that would be the case :) No matter what it is the implications are going to be HUGE! I think on that we can all agree.

Edited by ThePhaige

Guest OntarioSquatch

The more time goes by, the more shocking the discovery could be. If they exist, they will one day be acknowledged by science, but...I don't know if this DNA study will be what proves it.

This is an emotional plea, as opposed to something based on fact. This is what kind of baffles me about Ketchum...I've been told to take it easy on my opinions of her, but why, if she holds the cards, is she even involved with this? She HAS to know that it is a fallacy to think the government would protect a species that is not proven to exist, and that they would handle all of the protection efforts on their own. Why does she align herself with controversy so often? All she has to do is release her videos, or her 'amazing' data that she promises will be being published soon. Within a few weeks, if I recall right. If her data is as good as she claims, she'll be the catalyst for surveys to start being conducted, and protection efforts moving forward. I still don't think anything can happen until a body is on ice. There are too many things that would be at stake, in regards to their habitat, for anything to move forward without absolute proof.

Edited by PacNWSquatcher

Guest Ishcabibble

I'd like to make a couple of observations. First, if the proof of Ssq is reliably presented and verified, I have absolutely no doubt that every thrill seeking redneck in this country would be gunning for it. I would even imagine a reality TV show featuring Ted Nugent going out each week with scantily clad women, trying to bag a "squatch". I, unfortunately or not, know some of these type of people and have a pretty good feel for what their reaction would be. With that in mind, I can see the perceived need for a pre-emptive petition.

Secondly, and I am only floating this out as a postulation, what if the researchers do not have the results they wanted and are looking for a backdoor? Start a petition drive, don't get the signatures needed, backdoor excuse "without support from the BF community/government/general public, we cannot in good faith release this study." Again, just a postulation, but I can't ignore my perception of this shared timeline (the supposed release of the report, and the start of this petition)

-Ish

Guest crabshack

For many years, a part of me has had a sneaking suspicion that if we really knew (and understood) all there was to know about bigfoot, instead of "protecting" them, our reaction might be more along the lines of extermination. Until we actually know what we're dealing with you can count me out.

Yep, very much agree and especially if they really do have double rows of teeth.

Edited by crabshack

If you believe BF exist, why wouldn't you sign it ? What possible damage can it do to sign this petition ?

there is no downside and very good possible upside to signing it, so again, if you believe, why not Sign it, it takes

30 seconds at best.

About NOT signing it, I'll spend 30 seconds to say:

Some think the petition is premature, others find it unnecessary

or even potentially harmful; other reasons also exist ...

For each one saying "No," it's a matter of principle!

SSR Team

You can't protect something that isn't there.

Show that it is there, then you'll get all the support in the world to protect it.

• Upvote 1

sweetsusiq

Thank you. I have been chased by one, he was being very territorial for some reason, may be protecting his family, they are amazing creatures. He would have killed me had I not made it to the canoe in time. I do not hold any animosity towards them for this he was doing what we would do to someone or something that would endanger our family. I'm from Ontario I signed it as soon as I seen it a few days ago on the 12th. Besides what's harm they really do exist. Read my story on bigfoot discussions.

Edited by jamie

I only saw this b/c of the posting here, and I haven't read the thread. But, as a past member of the secret protection group (couldn't figure out why secret) outer layer (300+ pennames, as there was/is an inner layer), I am struggling with signing this now, as I was bumped out of the group shortly after RLFP took over PR. Could have been a FB glitch or not, but she didn't friend me on FB either, so? I wait until this paper is published and has a nod from the scientific community. If my one signature means the difference at deadline, it will be there.

But, at this stage it is for me about raising the debate...getting any Government agency attention...with the right stuff. And the right stuff depends on this paper. But, given the divisive route this has taken, I will wait.

It will take our action to force any agency to acknowledge even a fantastic paper IMO, and this effort will be years in the making?

The last petition I saw got just a few hundred signatures and i don't think it is b/c we don't care, but there are many differences of opinion still about who/what they are and what action/response is appropriate.

I know my views changed with this last five week site visit, raising data I tried to ignore to another level, and my ideas that seemed so easy (relict erectus or such) don't seem so straight forward anymore...

but I do want to suggest this: the broadest support will be found with the most inclusive group effort.