N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

I would strongly recommend proper collection of any such broken nuts or remnants there of.

Fantastic DNA opportunity.

High potential for transmission of skin cells, saliva etc.

Follow evidence collection standards to a T....

...Just as a detective would collect a cigarette butt or chewing gum found at the scene of a crime.

There is no good excuse not to...

There is no good excuse not to...

Perhaps. This looked to be an old scene so our assumption is any DNA evidence had long since expired. Also, collection of such things implies a lab to get them to. Our track record has been non-inspring. We don't have a go-to resource for that right now. 

law enforcement routinely solves decades old homicides with decades old DNA from decades old evidence.

Classic "cold case" stuff.

If nothing else, file it away.

Guest Silent Sam

There is a world of difference between DNA that has been properly stored in an evidence locker and DNA that has been exposed to the elements.

True ^^^

But I am assuming we might be talking about nuts that have been manipulated within days or weeks, not months or years.

What does it hurt to collect them?

If you think they have been manipulated by wood apes, simply collect them, date them and store them.

Guest Silent Sam

I'm not advocating against the collection of potential evidence. I'm simply pointing out the fact you can't use DNA that's been kept in a climate controlled environment as a gauge for when you should or shouldn't attempt to collect DNA.

Also, as I said, we don't have a crime lab. Even if we could collect a fresh specimen like a chewed nut and even if we stored it correctly, we just don't have a place to send it. Our experience in this regard has not been encouraging.

Bipto , do you guys employ hair snags ?  and another question if I may , do you guys find large compacted trails with the limbs broken off high and wide ?

We have used hair snags in the past but don't have one deployed currently. We don't find trials larger or more heavily used than any other normal game trail, though we do occasionally find broken and/or twisted limbs or tree tops. 

Maybe I'm not being clear enough.

Collect the potential DNA evidence.

Then...

Store it in a climate controlled environment until the time you deem it appropriate , or can financially afford, to test it.

What am I missing here Sam?

Guest Silent Sam

That's perfectly reasonable. However, given that the NAWAC is actively attempting to collect a type specimen their energies are obviously being expended elsewhere.

I fully understand that...

That said, I believe that their organization is likely closer than any other group to actually solving this mystery.

If they could add one more potentially successful dimension to their tactics, why not?

Also, as I said, we don't have a crime lab. Even if we could collect a fresh specimen like a chewed nut and even if we stored it correctly, we just don't have a place to send it. Our experience in this regard has not been encouraging.

Law enforcement didn't have DNA labs years ago either.

Thankfully, so many agencies had the wherewithal to maintain the evidence regardless.

Crimes are being solved today as a result.

Ya never know, maybe DNA analysis will become wildly more affordable in the next 5 to 10 years.

Thank you bipto for the answers , I am going to be using 20 gauge shotgun bore brushes , I have done testing and they grab hair very well and may be cheaper than designed hair snags.

I just zip tie them to the end of a branch about 5 to 6 feet up.

I deploy a few next week if all goes right.

Has anyone who has had a sighting of the individual known as "old gray" described it as being similar to the figure in the Melissa Hovey photo?

Thank you bipto for the answers , I am going to be using 20 gauge shotgun bore brushes , I have done testing and they grab hair very well and may be cheaper than designed hair snags.

I just zip tie them to the end of a branch about 5 to 6 feet up.

I deploy a few next week if all goes right.

Your lucky iam bald Nathan!

For what it's worth, at least one encounter report (NAWAC) is of a wood ape observed opening a nut with one hand.

Bipto might be easier able to find it than I.

http://woodape.org/reports/report/detail/226

Now that certainly delivers a bit more context.

The guys on the habituation thread take heat for attributing every find to sasquatch. A nut pile discovery on that thread would trigger much in the way of query. Just trying to be consistent.

I'm aware that human access to this site is a prime factor here.