N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Bip, I know this has to have been asked a thousand times, but I lack the time and effort to search and am wondering if you could fill me in on a couple of things.  Seasonally, are you guys finding different types of activity, in regards to the WA's, or a decline/rise in activity between seasons?  Do they seem to be more territorial during certain times of year, or are you guys seeing a spike in activity in certain months?  Are there creeks/rivers coming down from the mountains above you guys?(Forgive me, I have no idea what the terrain is like, but assume a cabin would be in the lower elevation areas)  Is the cabin able to be observed from elevated vantage points?  Are there elk, or only whitetails?  Are there sightings in higher elevations surrounding the cabin as well, or is most of the activity at the same elevation as the cabin?  During the various sightings, which I have no idea how many there have been, are they attempting to retreat to higher elevations or waterways/creek beds, or does it appear that they have no plan and just retreat in a manner as to create separation?  Thanks, brutha.

Bip, I know this has to have been asked a thousand times, but I lack the time and effort to search and am wondering if you could fill me in on a couple of things.  Seasonally, are you guys finding different types of activity, in regards to the WA's, or a decline/rise in activity between seasons?  Do they seem to be more territorial during certain times of year, or are you guys seeing a spike in activity in certain months?  Are there creeks/rivers coming down from the mountains above you guys?(Forgive me, I have no idea what the terrain is like, but assume a cabin would be in the lower elevation areas)  Is the cabin able to be observed from elevated vantage points?  Are there elk, or only whitetails?  Are there sightings in higher elevations surrounding the cabin as well, or is most of the activity at the same elevation as the cabin?  During the various sightings, which I have no idea how many there have been, are they attempting to retreat to higher elevations or waterways/creek beds, or does it appear that they have no plan and just retreat in a manner as to create separation?  Thanks, brutha.

I don't know about any data the NAWAC might have gathered, but I found this awhile ago and thought it might be relevant to at least one of your questions...

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/BigfootSightingsintheUnitedStates/CountyDashboard?:embed=y&:toolbar=no&:loadOrderID=0&:tabs=no

Guest Suesquach

Greetings Bipto. I was listening again to The Bigfoot Show #39 from last summer. Great show! Anyway, you said that last year's operation gathered gigabytes of data. Will this data be available for the general public to view? Thanks and best wishes to NAWAC for their amazing research.

Bipto, 

Here is the plan.

Sneak two motion sensing cameras into the area.

Say "Hey guys/gals, I'm just gonna recon this area where they throw stuff from, I'll be back in an hour"

Then secretly place the cameras in the area that you get the most activity.

Wait for some activity, then go get the cameras.

I think you will find that technology is not failing you.

Hello All,

How many of you have been able to close your eyes just before a digital camera's shutter goes off? It's because of the natural delay in the technology. A camera phone demonstrates the frustrating aspects of the devices. How many good shots are lost because of a change in the scene/person/baby etc. once the shutter is pressed? First the click then the raspy sound of the shutter AFTER the digital technology does it's capture/process thing. Is it at all possible that BF jumps or whatever at the first click and then disappears into the brush frightened before the second part of the image capture sequence is initiated?

Far fetched? Sure is but all angles need to be looked at when such elusive prey is the subject. BF hearing could be as acute as a deer's or a canines. Is there a way to sound deaden the mechanism? Trip wires on conventional film cameras might be tried at least once to see if the shutter speed on an old thumb-winder does the trick.

Edited by hiflier

^^^^^^^

Not sure exactly if I follow, let me try. In an SLR (single lens reflex) digital camera the shutter works exactly the same as a conventional film camera. The shutter opens exposing the light sensor (instead of film) and closes. The sound is in unison with the action of taking the photo. By the time the sound of the shutter reached the ears of the subject the image has surely been captured already. On a point and shoot digital or a cell phone camera the 'shutter sound' (which is a recorded simulation of a shutter sound) can always be turned off making it a non issue. 

There are a LOT of pictures of the outside of my eyelids.   Empirical evidence says I seem to be reacting and beating the shutter whether "logic" likes it or not.   (???)

MIB

Actually, IF you get a XS Scout Rail for the Marlin LA you would have enough room to mount a PVS14 NV Monocular and an Aimpoint M2/M3/M4 or a NV EOTech model. Thats about 4K in optics and mounts but It would give you 45-70 NV options. you could do the same thing with the XS extended rail for the Ruger GSR and have a NV capable, 10 shot bolt action with a threaded barrel for a sound supressor. Serious trick set up. 

Yes for the top of the receiver that's about the only route to go. But for the fore grip, it's basically custom work.

MIB,

You may be reacting to the "shutter" sound on a cell or point and shoot if they haven't been muted, or you may be reacting to the focusing beam. Either way, a blink reaction is very fast while cell and point and shoot cameras are slow in comparison. As far as a bf detecting a sound and moving as hiflier is suggesting, it is likely reacting to a focusing beam. Unless it is extremely close to the camera, the sound takes x amount of time to reach it. This is especially true in the case of a digital SLR (DSLR), by the time the sound of the mirror/shutter is heard, the image has been recorded. With the mirrorless interchangeable lens compacts (ILCs) that have proliferated in recent years, or if shooting in live view mode (the mirror is locked up) with a conventional DSLR,  the only sound is the shutter firing and again, by that time the image is locked. I suspect the most likely explanation WRT certain unrecognized primates, which are reputed to be very quick,  they are reacting to the sudden movement of a person bringing a camera to bear. IMHO!

Guest Robert2

Pretty good documentary. Very objective, I thought. 

I would like to go to that Bigfoot festival some day, help out the local economy. 

Seasonally, are you guys finding different types of activity, in regards to the WA's, or a decline/rise in activity between seasons?  Do they seem to be more territorial during certain times of year, or are you guys seeing a spike in activity in certain months?

Yes, they are much more active when the foliage is thick. Hard to say how territorial they're being (or if it changes with the seasons).

Are there creeks/rivers coming down from the mountains above you guys?(Forgive me, I have no idea what the terrain is like, but assume a cabin would be in the lower elevation areas)

There's a lot of water in the region. Springs and creeks.

Is the cabin able to be observed from elevated vantage points?

Yep.

Are there elk, or only whitetails?

No elk, as far as I know or have ever heard of. Lots of deer.

Are there sightings in higher elevations surrounding the cabin as well, or is most of the activity at the same elevation as the cabin?

Most sightings are at the same elevation as the cabins.

During the various sightings, which I have no idea how many there have been, are they attempting to retreat to higher elevations or waterways/creek beds, or does it appear that they have no plan and just retreat in a manner as to create separation? 

They've been seen retreating up hill. My sighting had two of them running up the slope behind the cabin. They've also been observed just getting away, usually towards the nearby creek beds. 

Edited by bipto

Hello bipto,

One would think that even when retreating uphill that the smoothest trails would be prefered for comfort as well as stealth. Though no doubt their foot soles are tough it would make some sense to choose paths that are less cluttered with branches, sticks, pointy rocks and overhead obstructions. Does this make any sense to you as well?. BTW the answers to the previous questions posted were valuable to members here as you and your group are our eyes and ears in Area X. Thanks.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

One would think that even when retreating uphill that the smoothest trails would be prefered for comfort as well as stealth. Though no doubt their foot soles are tough it would make some sense to choose paths that are less cluttered with branches, sticks, pointy rocks and overhead obstructions. Does this make any sense to you as well?.

It makes sense, but perhaps counterintuitively, they don't seem inclined to use the best trails/roads. They seem to most often cross the road rather than use it. They may use the one good trail in the area, but I also believe that cross it more than they use it. Typically, they're either busting through brush or following the meager game trails.